Verizon is a telecommunications conglomerate with a neat hiring process. As you go through the different stages of the interview, the recruiters ensure that you’re always informed about your interview status at every step of the way. Getting a job at Verizon can be the stepping stone to a bright IT career.
Though many interviewees report that Verizon interview questions are not too high on the difficulty scale, it’s always a good idea to read up on the interview process and go through some of their frequently asked questions. If that’s what you’re here for, keep reading.
Having trained over 9,000 software engineers, coding engineers, and software developers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. If you are preparing for a Verizon interview, check out our technical interview checklist, interview questions page to get interview-ready! Also, read the salary negotiation e-book for specific insights and guidance on the best ways to negotiate your compensation package in any interview.
In this article, we cover details about what you can expect at a Verizon interview: Here’s an outline of what you’ll find:
- What’s Unique About Verizon’s Interview Process?
- Verizon Interview Questions
- Verizon Interview Questions for Specific Domains
- Verizon Behavioral Interview Questions
- Verizon Interview FAQs
What’s Unique About Verizon’s Interview Process?
While the interview structure for Verizon interviews is similar to most FAANG+ companies, it is unique in its own way. For example, during the phone screen, the candidates are required to self-record their answers instead of facing an interviewer. Professionals who have interviewed with Verizon say that the entire interview process is less technical when compared to FAANG companies.
Verizon Interview Process
The Verizon interview process is quite similar to other tier-1 tech companies and comprises three main rounds of interviews:
- Technical Phone Screen
- On-site Interview (including 3-5 rounds of coding and other technical skill assessments)
- Behavioral Interview
To learn more about how technical interviews are conducted at FAANG and other tier-1 companies like Verizon, read Understanding Technical Interviews at FAANG and How to Crack Them.
Verizon Interview Questions
Verizon coding interview questions include algorithms, data structures, and large-scale distributed systems. The behavioral interview questions are designed to measure your adaptability and teamwork skills. We will cover sample questions on each of these topics in the sections ahead.
Verizon Interview Questions and Answers on Data Structures and Algorithms
You can expect questions based on the following data structures and algorithm topics in the coding interview:
- Find all palindromic decompositions of a given string s. (Solution)
- Given a variety of coin types defining a currency system, find the minimum number of coins required to express a given amount of money. Assume an infinite supply of coins of every type. (Solution)
- Sort a given singly linked list in ascending order. (Solution)
- Write a code to convert a given set of integers into their Roman number equivalents.
- Write a program to find out if a given number “N” is sparse. (A number is said to be sparse if no two bits are in binary representation).
- Write a program to find the lowest common ancestor of two nodes of a given binary tree “B” with unique values.
- Given ‘n’ pairs of numbers where: In each pair, the first number is smaller than the second number. If c<f, a certain pair [a,b] takes numbers from two different pairs [c,d] and [e,f].
- Write a program to find the longest subsequence in two given strings, ‘str1’ and ‘str2’.
- You’re given two strings, ‘S’ and ‘K.’ Write a program to find the longest common substring.
- Given a binary tree “B” with unique values, write a program to find: 1. The longest consecutive sequence. 2. The length of the longest path comprising connected nodes with consecutive values.
- Given K sorted arrays arr, of size N each, merge them into a new array res, such that res is a sorted array.
- Given an array of numbers nums of size n, find an array of numbers products of size n, such that products[i] is the product of all numbers nums[j], where j != i.
- Given a string s containing a set of words, transform it such that the words appear in the reverse order. Words in s are separated by one or more spaces.
Recommended Reading: Top 20 Interview Puzzles for Software Engineers
Technical Verizon Interview Questions on System Design
Below is a list of common systems design questions asked in the technical interview:
- Design a traffic control system.
- Design a limit order book for trading systems.
- Design an autocomplete feature for a search engine.
- Design a proximity server.
- How would you design a search engine?
- Design a URL shortening service like bit.ly.
- Design an API rate limiter.
- Design a ticketing management system for a theatre.
- How would you design a shared drive?
- How would you design a vaccine rollout system?
Recommended Reading: System Design Interview Preparation Tips
Verizon Connect Interview Questions
- What kind of work environment fosters the most productivity in you?
- How will your skills complement our team if we hire you?
- How does it emotionally affect you when you face a setback?
- How did you decide to become a telecommunication professional?
- Tell us about a recent course or training that you have completed in your role as a telecommunications technician.
- Why do you want to work at Verizon Connect?
- Keeping the workplace culture harmonious is very important to us at Verizon Connect. Tell us about a time you had a conflict with a manager and how you resolved it.
- Suggest some ways to ensure that Verizon continues to perform better than its competitors.
- At Verizon Connect, we pay much attention to staying 'in the know' within the industry. What is your way of staying updated with new technology and trends?
- Verizon employs more than 11k military service members and veterans. How do you feel about this?
- Verizon is very proud of its innovative learning laboratories. What do you know about this initiative?
- Verizon Connect pays utmost attention to customer service. What is your strategy for dealing with difficult customers?
- How can you contribute to the profitability of Verizon?
Verizon Interview Questions for Experienced Candidates
- We seek to hire collaborative professionals at Verizon Communications. Tell us about your experiences while working in a team.
- Tell us about a time you worked among a diverse group of people.
- What is Agile project management? How is it different from other project management methodologies?
- Tell us about the scopes of design patterns in Java.
- We value resourcefulness at Verizon. Tell us about a time you were able to resolve a problem in your workplace?
- Tell us about a time when you successfully installed new hardware, software, or a programming module.
- Which anti-virus programs have you worked with, and what has been your experience like working with them?
- What has been the most significant change you have had to deal with till now?
- Verizon has implemented affinity groups to support its diverse workforce. Do you think affinity groups can work within the workplace?
- Verizon tries its best to champion family digital safety and security. Tell us how you can contribute to this.
- Have you ever helped a co-worker accomplish an important goal?
- At Verizon, we believe in embracing change. Tell us about a time you have had to adapt to change.
- Tell us about a time you led a team.
- What is your take on Verizon's launch of 5G Ultra Wideband?
Verizon Behavioral Interview Questions
During this round, most interviewers will ask you to share examples of specific situations you’ve been in where you’ve had to use certain skills. Here are some of the frequently-asked behavioral interviews, sorted by topic.
Questions on Collaboration and Teamwork
- Do you prefer teamwork or working independently?
- How do you feel about working in a team?
- What makes your teamwork skills different from anyone else’s?
- Describe a time when you worked well as part of a team.
- Tell me about a time when a lack of teamwork hindered a project and what you did to address the situation.
- What aspects do you think you can change about yourself to become a better team member?
- How will your previous team describe you as a team member?
- What kind of personalities do you prefer in your team to work with?
- How do you deal with a situation where your co-worker is not putting in the level of effort expected from them?
- What is your preferred style of communication with your team?
- How would you handle working closely with a colleague who was very different from you?
Verizon Interview Questions on Work-Life Balance
- What is the best way to maintain work-life balance?
- What’s your philosophy towards work
- How do you deal with pressure or stressful situations?
- How often do you think employees need vacations? Do vacations help restore harmony to a person’s work-life?
- Describe a time you were stressed about a project’s outcome and how you coped to achieve the desired result.
- How do you handle stress and pressure at work, especially amid tight deadlines?
- Do you indulge in outdoor activities? If yes, how do you think it helps with your work?
- How important is mental health, according to you? What activities do you do to actively tend to your mental health?
Verizon Interview Questions on Relationships With Superiors/Managers
- Describe your boss in one line.
- How do you see a manager’s role in a team?
- What was the biggest criticism you received from your boss? What did you do about it?
- What if your boss is making a wrong decision regarding a client you have some experience with? How will you deal with this situation?
- Tell me about a problem or a disagreement you had with a previous supervisor or manager.
Verizon Interview Questions on Adaptability
- What are some of the challenges you usually experience when starting a new job?
- Would you consider yourself open-minded?
- The culture of this company is quite different from your last organization; how are you planning to get settled?
- How will you accommodate sudden and abrupt last-minute changes from the client’s side?
- What if one of the teammates follows inefficient practices? Have you ever compromised in such situations? What is your take on the same?
- Tell me about a time someone asked you to do something outside of your job description.
- What strategy will you adopt to implement new technology or process within your team?
- How will you deal with resistance from your team on change?
Verizon Interview Questions on Past Projects
- What was the most challenging project you have worked on?
- Have you ever worked on a project and not been able to meet the deadline?
- What’s the biggest mistake you have made on a project?
- Have you ever been challenged by your colleagues on a decision you made?
- Describe an instance when the client was not satisfied with the project’s result.
- What has been your most successful project?
- What’s the last project that you worked on?
- Have you ever worked on a project and not been able to meet the budget?
- Tell us about an instance when you had to convince someone to achieve a goal.
- What, according to you, is one of the biggest mistakes you have committed in your past projects? How did it change your approach towards work?
- Tell us about a time you handled a situation where your supervisor failed to properly communicate information to you.
Here are some tips to crack the interview rounds at FAANG and tier-1 tech companies.
Verizon Interview FAQ
Q. How do I prepare for my Verizon interview?
A. Verizon interviews vary across roles and regions, so you should start by visiting their job openings page and understand the role requirements. You could also sign up for a technical interview preparation course where experts will guide you through the technical interview process at FAANG companies.
Q. What are the technology areas Verizon hires for?
A. Verizon hires for 5G, Fios, cloud, security, and other areas. Verizon offers technology products and solutions across various communication platforms and regularly hires professionals across these platforms.
Q. Does Verizon have an employee referral program?
A. Yes, applying for a job at Verizon through an employee referral program gives you an excellent chance of getting shortlisted for the interview rounds!
Ace Your Next Verizon Tech Interview
Got an interview lined up? The right guidance and tech interview prep can make all the difference in your career. Register for our webinar today to learn how you can take advantage of our interview preparation courses and mock interviews with experts.
Interview Kickstart has helped over 9,000 engineers land coveted offers from FAANG and tier-1 companies. Our instructors are tech leads and hiring managers at FAANG and know exactly what it takes to crack big tech interviews.
Register for our free webinar to uplevel your career.