All fast-growing and evolving companies have a constant demand for technical staff. The reason for such an overwhelming necessity is the continuing race to stay ahead of the game with the right technology, data, and people. LYFT, a big player in the US-based ridesharing business, comes under this business classification. They require many ambitious software engineers to give them the most innovative and result-driven technical solutions.
Although not directly involved in developing software solutions or earning through online networking, as done by the FAANG companies (Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix, and Google), LYFT is a popular recruiter of software engineers. They also need data scientists, coding engineers, software developers, and other technical professionals to work on a variety of complex, highly technical systems.
Current job analysis shows that software talent makes up a significant part of LYFT’s happy workforce. The company offers a fine pay package at the junior engineer level itself. Salary and benefits are much more alluring at the senior engineer level to attract potential experienced job seekers.
In this article, we’ll be shedding some light on the following topics:
- LYFT Software Engineer Levels and Salaries
- Stock Benefit Option in LYFT Software Engineer Salary
- Benefits of Working at LYFT
- Software Engineer Salary at LYFT vs. Other Technology Companies
- Skills and Qualifications Required to be a LYFT Software Engineer
- LYFT Software Engineer Interview Process and Prep
LYFT Software Engineer Levels and Salaries
Compensation is one of the major factors to consider when you’re interviewing with recruiters and trying to decide where to work. If you’re wondering what kind of salary to expect as a software engineer at LYFT, we’ve got you. Here’s some data we collected on the levels and compensation details of various job titles for software engineers.
The list above is the LYFT Software Engineer Salary from junior to senior level. Usually, LYFT senior software engineer’s salary is based on experience, knowledge, and skill. Thus, a deserving candidate may be offered a higher compensation than what is given in the above salary chart.
In addition to your qualifications and experience, the salary offer you receive also depends on how well you negotiate. Check out The Ultimate Guide to Salary Negotiation at FAANG for Software Engineers to hone your negotiation skills.
Stock Benefit Option in LYFT Software Engineer Salary
LYFT pays its software engineers (in every level mentioned above) a portion of Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) as per their performance. Here, RSUs are subject to a 4year vesting schedule as 25% of the stock is vested every year for the period of four years. Another method followed is a 1-year vesting schedule as 100% vests each year with 25% every three months.
Benefits of Working at LYFT
LYFT provides employee benefits matched with the other global tech solutions leaders, including its competitor, Uber. These benefits, along with an attractive LYFT salary software engineer, bonus, and stock options, give the company a reputable status in terms of its business value. Here are some of the benefits offered to LYFT software engineers:
- Insurance Benefits: Dental, accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D), health, disability, and life insurance coverage.
- Health and Wellness: Gender-neutral bathrooms, on-site mother’s room, fertility assistance, maternity leave (18 weeks), unlimited PTO (Paid Time Off), gym/wellness reimbursement, and more.
- Social Benefits: These include employee assistance, phone bill payment, a pet-friendly workplace, and the option to work remotely.
- Food Benefits: Like free breakfast, dinner, lunch, snacks, and drinks.
- Perks/Discounts:15% employee discount, 401K, and employee stock purchase program.
Software Engineer Salary at LYFT vs. Other Technology Companies
To make your employer selection process a little simpler, here’s a software engineer salary comparison chart of LYFT with two other strongest technical recruiters in the US — Google and Facebook (annual average salary in USD).
Though FAANG companies are known to offer higher compensations, the software engineer salaries at LYFT are comparable to other tech giants, and hence is a good company to aim for if you’re looking to uplevel your career.
Skills and Qualifications Required to be a LYFT Software Engineer
If you’re considering applying for a job at LYFT as technical staff, know the skills and qualifications that they look for. Now that you know the LYFT Salary for Software Engineers, we give you a brief idea of the technical knowledge required for the role.
The basic qualification for LYFT Software Engineers is a degree in Computer Science or a related field. Candidates with a background in mathematics/statistics, who have been trained in computer coding and algorithms, may also apply for LYFT positions.
To be a part of LYFT and earn a LYFT software engineer salary with benefits, the basic skills that you should have are:
- Reliable knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals
- At least 0-1 professional experience as a technical staff
- Proficiency in multiple coding languages
- Experience with mobile development
- Experience with real-time technology problems
- Good knowledge of database development and management, like, MongoDB, MySQL, and other standard tools
- Working knowledge on machine learning algorithms and cloud data and computing solutions
- Previous work with social networks
Additional qualities that will help you stand out from the rest are:
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work and grow in a startup environment
- Passion for community, sustainability, and transportation
LYFT Software Engineer Interview Process and Prep
LYFT has an ambitious goal of constructing its technical workforce so that it becomes sufficiently capable of bringing in innovations. As you prepare for the interview, make sure to read up on the current and historical information on the company’s operations and its prospects.
Remember that you should make a good impression at the phone screen interview and the face-to-face discussion. Ask questions about the role and the future of your career as a LYFT employee and stay confident. It is also imperative that you revise all your fundamentals and be prepared with some examples from projects that you’ve worked on.
As for the interview process, LYFT interviews are generally conducted in four stages:
- Stage 1: Recruiter screen, where they will ask your details, work experience, industry knowledge, discuss your interest in LYFT, and other relevant factors related to the role you’re interviewing for. They usually focus on the facts that you’ve mentioned in the resume.
- Stage 2: Technical phone screen with one of LYFT software engineers, who will interview you on your technical knowledge, conduct a coding test, and ask about your relevant work experience.
- Stage 3: On-site interview, divided into four stages - System Design Interview, Computer Science Fundamental Interview, Laptop Programming Interview, and Behavioral Interview
- Stage 4: Meeting managers and teams: After successfully making it through the technical interview and the on-site interview, you’ll be meeting potential teams and their managers to converse with them on their work, growth, ideas, and opinions. This stage is less like an interview and more to find where you’ll be the best fit.
How to Crack the Tech Interview at LYFT
Interview prep for companies like LYFT can seem overwhelming — they require strategic planning, dedicated practice, and a lot of hard work. Let Interview Kickstart be your guide!
With IK, you’ll get a chance to learn and engage with FAANG tech leads and hiring managers. We’ve helped over 6,000 engineers land their dream jobs at FAANG and tier-1 tech companies!
Want to know more? Sign up for our FREE webinar.