To land a job as a product manager at DoorDash, you’ll need to have a thorough understanding of the company and its products. The company has risen in popularity and emerged as a promising startup in Silicon Valley.
This position is advantageous because you’ll be directly involved in empowering local businesses. All that stands between you and the job is their highly competitive interview process. To help you succeed, we’ve put together all the information you’ll need — including some of the most popular DoorDash PM interview questions.
If you are preparing for a tech interview, check out our technical interview checklist, interview questions page, and salary negotiation e-book to get interview-ready! Also, read 10 Tips for Radical Interview Preparation and What Should You Expect From an Engineering Manager Interview? for specific insights and guidance on tech interviews.
Having trained over 11,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Our alums consistently land offers from FAANG+ companies. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $1.267 Million!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
To give you a better understanding of the type of DoorDash PM interview questions you can expect, in this article, we’ll be covering:
- What Does a DoorDash PM Do?
- DoorDash PM Interview Process
- DoorDash PM Interview Questions
- FAQs on DoorDash PM Interview Questions
What Does a DoorDash PM Do?
Product management involves developing and promoting products with the primary objective of increasing revenue, earnings, and profit margins. As a DoorDash product manager (PM), some of the things you’ll be responsible for are:
- Analyzing market trends
- Overseeing product development
- Deciding on the features for the company’s products
As is clear from the tasks listed above, it is quite a challenging job that includes a lot of decision-making. To ensure that you’re up for the role, DoorDash PM interview questions are developed in a way that’ll test you on a variety of topics.
DoorDash PM Interview Process
The DoorDash PM interview process has been divided into the following rounds:
- Phone screen with a recruiter
- Take home assessments
- Phone screen interview with the hiring manager and current PM
- On-site interview
Phone Screen With a Recruiter
In this round, the recruiter (a product management one) will focus on having a conversation with you about your past work experience and current position. This is an excellent opportunity for you to ask questions about the role and interview process.
Highlight and discuss the projects that will let the recruiter know that you’re the right fit for the job. This is important when trying to land a career in the management profile to expect several DoorDash PM interview questions based on your past projects.
Some sample questions:
- Do you have any experience using our service?
- What are the top three traits you look for in a company?
- Can you explain one experience that’s provided in your resume?
Take Home Assessments
This round tests your analytical abilities to see how well you exercise your skills. It gives the company the ideal opportunity to assess how you tackle real-world business problems. The assignment could include anything from inductive, numerical, and verbal reasoning to excel worksheets with hypothetical data.
You’ll need to take the help of the data to analyze and then make recommendations from the point of view of a product manager. It will be pretty time-consuming. However, this assignment will determine whether you make it to the next round or not.
Phone Screen Interview With the Hiring Manager and Current PM
Divided into two parts — product prioritization and product sense — this interview will last around 40 minutes. The hiring manager may or may not be accompanied by the current PM. This is the penultimate round to see whether you meet all the necessary criteria to qualify for the final on-site round.
You will be tested on your:
- Ability to generate new ideas in the given time.
- Accuracy when answering behavioral and situational questions.
- Core PM competencies such as product ideation, brainstorming, MVP, execution, etc.
- Reasoning and logical thinking skills.
Some sample DoorDash PM interview questions for this round:
- How will you improve Spotify?
- Tell me how you would improve DoorDash's post-booking experience after users have placed their orders.
- If you were a PM at Spotify, how would you work on the engagement to make it better?
- Suppose you’re the owner of six pizza shops in town and are trying to improve the sales. Which option would you choose: create an app or use Uber Eats?
- How would you elevate the worst customer experience after excellent Instacart order placement?
In this round, you’ll have a series of in-person (or virtual) interviews with the head of the department, recruiters, and the product team. Each interview will last around 30-75 minutes. You can expect to be asked questions based on your take-home assessment.
Further, there will be DoorDash PM interview questions that’ll be hypothetical and meant to test you on your technical skills and past experiences. You will be assessed on your:
- Understanding of the company.
- Past experiences and success record.
- Product experience and abilities include decision-making, estimation, analysis, and marketing skills.
Some sample DoorDash PM interview questions for this round:
- If you were in charge of LinkedIn, what would you prioritize?
- Describe the steps you would take to develop the AirBnB recommendation algorithm for guests.
- Talk us through the improvements you would make to Doordahs, given a chance.
- Describe a project that was challenging to handle. How did you manage it?
- List some of the most common problems during the delivery process after a customer has placed an order.
- How do you cope with being overburdened or underperforming?
- What steps do you take to get back on track when you’re behind schedule?
To understand the profile of a product manager better, read The Product Manager Career Path.
DoorDash PM Interview Questions
While preparing, make sure that you thoroughly study the DoorDash PM interview questions given below:
- How would you go about resolving OpenTable’s worst customer experience?
- Walk us through the product design of either the Apple app store or Google Play.
- When looking for apartments, which app do you use, and how would you improve it?
- What sort of budgeting experience do you have?
- Choose a real estate app you know well. How would you go about improving it?
- If you were a PM at AirBNB and needed to improve the post-booking customer experience, how would you do it?
- What would you do if your team members weren’t working at their full potential?
- What has your previous experience collaborating with clients, sponsors, and stakeholders been like?
- If you worked as a PM for a food delivery app and, over the last week, restaurant supply decreased by 10%, how would you handle it?
- Walk us through your communication and leadership style.
As you can see, there are several situational questions aimed at extracting your personality and assessing whether you’re a cultural fit for the company or not. So when answering DoorDash PM interview questions, make sure that you answer clearly and are conversational.
For more insights into the types of interview questions you can expect at DoorDash, check out Top DoorDash Interview Questions for Software Engineers.
FAQs on DoorDash PM Interview Questions
Some of the most popular questions about DoorDash PM interview questions are:
Q1. How do you prepare for a DoorDash interview?
As this is a management position, be prepared for many situational and reasoning questions that will test you on multiple fronts. You can ask a friend for help and practice on a whiteboard using a shared screen so that you’re better prepared for virtual interviews.
Q2. How long does the DoorDash PM interview process take?
The entire DoorDash PM interview process takes around 2-3 weeks to complete, from the initial phone screen to the on-site interviews.
Q3. How long does it take to hear back from DoorDash after an interview?
You can expect to hear from DoorDash after a week or so after you’re done with the interview.
Q4. How much does a DoorDash PM make?
On average, a product manager at DoorDash makes $144,115 per year. This is 79% more than the national average, according to Indeed.com.
Q5. How to prepare for PM interviews?
When preparing for PM interviews, you’ll need to go over the program manager guide for the company you’re applying to. So go over the kind of questions and answers that are asked there. Don’t forget to study the products that the company offers thoroughly.
Want Help Preparing for the DoorDash PM Interview?
If you’re looking for guidance as you prepare to face DoorDash PM interview questions, sign up for our free webinar.
Interview Kickstart offers interview preparation courses taught by FAANG tech leads and seasoned hiring managers. We have trained thousands of software engineers to crack the most challenging interviews at Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix, and other top tech companies.