Twitter is a microblogging company with a strong footprint in multiple nations. It is a social network allowing real-time public conversations and self-expression. Twitter has 206 million active global users, including politicians, actors, writers, and professionals.
Needless to say, the software engineer role is highly coveted at Twitter. The responsibility of a software engineer is to build and test the interface of all web applications facilitating Twitter users and advertisers. The Twitter interview process evaluates your technical skills and personal traits to work in a fast-paced company environment. Therefore, to prepare yourself to appear for an interview at Twitter, it is necessary to get familiar with the interview process.
Having trained over 6,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Since 2014, Interview Kickstart alums have been landing lucrative offers from FAANG and Tier-1 tech companies, with an average salary hike of 49%. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $933,000!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
This article will focus on the interview process at Twitter. We’ll discuss:
- Qualifications required to become a software engineer at Twitter
- Roles and responsibilities of Twitter software engineers
- What is the interview process at Twitter like?
- An insight into the interview board at Twitter
- What are the topics to focus on for Twitter’s software engineer interview?
- Software engineer interview questions asked at Twitter
- FAQs on Twitter software engineer jobs
Qualifications Required to Become a Software Engineer at Twitter
To be eligible to apply for a software engineer role at Twitter, the aspiring candidate should possess the following
- Minimum of five years of experience in designing or developing software.
- Experience in modular user interface development, HTML, and CSS framework.
- Should be equipped with standard software development/designing technology like code reviews, unit testing, design documentation, etc.
- Experience in multiple web technology stacks like HTTP, caching, cookies, etc.
- Knowledge of full-stack software development on a large scale.
- Experience in working effectively in a fast-paced environment with product managers, UI designers, and the engineering team.
- Have an understanding of data structure and algorithms.
- Have a strategic approach to quality assurance and testing.
Roles and Responsibilities of Twitter Software Engineers
The primary responsibility of a software engineer at Twitter is to provide a magnificent user experience. They should build an interface that supports the advertisers in achieving their business objectives through Twitter.
In addition, they have to work in a team collaborating with product managers and other engineers to ensure the infrastructure of Twitter.
What Is the Interview Process at Twitter Like?
Kathleen Vignos is one of the senior hiring managers overseeing the recruitment of software engineers on Twitter. She says that the interview process is designed to analyze:
- Everyday work experience of the applicant.
- Keep interview exhaustion at a minimum.
- Provide a good environment where candidates can perform to the best of their ability.
To apply for a job at Twitter, you have to keep yourself updated with new job postings or vacancies at the company. You can get information about the same from Twitter’s official handle, career page, or job websites like LinkedIn and Glassdoor. The process involves the following steps:
You have to upload a resume and fill up the necessary information about your work experience, design/development portfolio, nationality, immigration status, etc.
If your resume matches Twitter's open vacancies, the recruiter will connect with you over email or call. The screening round with the technical team will be over a video call.
Before the screening process, they will send you some sample question papers for preparation or brush up on your fundamental coding and algorithm skills.
This round is a basic screening for 45 minutes, which includes an introduction as well as standard queries on your technical skills.
The on-site Twitter interview process has three rounds. Each round takes 45 minutes, followed by a break time. Breaks are given between interviews to let you interact with team members of the interview board to make the process easy and interactive.
The three phases of the Twitter on-site interviews are as follows:
- Round 1 – Data structure and algorithms.
- Round 2 – Questions related to specific technology used in Twitter and how to optimize it. It mostly involves operating systems, SQL, Database Management systems, etc.
- Round 3 – Behavioral aspects like previous experiences, teamwork, etc.
An Insight Into the Interview Board at Twitter
The interview board comprises managers from hiring teams of respective departments to replicate the collaborative team settings of Twitter and eliminate bias. You will be allowed to choose between two teams of interviewers and speak with them. This is very helpful to know about the company, workflow, and expectations from you.
Before the on-site round, HR takes 15 minutes to explain the flow of the interview and the focus of the interviewers. This gives an insight into the entire process.
Many new hires say that the interview process of Twitter is very thoughtful, unique, and helpful. Interviewers are respectful, kind, out of any bias, and friendly to make candidates feel comfortable during the interview process.
What Are the Topics to Focus on for Twitter’s Software Engineer Interview?
To prepare for the Twitter software engineer interview, you have to focus on certain areas, like:
- System design
- Virtualization, concurrency, and persistence
- Database design fundamentals
- Computer network
- C++ and its object-oriented programming
Software Engineer Interview Questions Asked at Twitter
Mentioned below are a few software-engineer-related questions to help you prepare for your Twitter interview:
- How to design a widget of 5-star ratings?
- How to build a weather forecast application?
- What happens between the period when you type a URL and hit the enter button until the website opens in the browser?
- What is the front-end architecture of a chat application?
- How to handle UI components of a web application?
Read Twitter Interview Questions for more.
FAQs on Twitter Software Engineer Jobs
Q. What is the average salary of a software engineer at Twitter?
A software engineer at Twitter can make anywhere from $191,000 to $719,000 per year, depending on the level. This is inclusive of bonuses and stock options.
Read Twitter Software Engineer Salary for more details.
Q. Do you need a computer science degree to become a software engineer at Twitter?
You need not have a CS degree to become a software engineer at Twitter. Coding skills and the required years of experience working on relevant projects are enough to get through.
Read How to Become a Software Engineer Without a CS Degree for more information.
What Is the Best Way to Prepare for Twitter Software Engineer Interviews?
Interview Kickstart is the best platform to prepare for software engineer interviews in any FAANG or Silicon Valley company. We provide 360-degree support with our interview preparation programs.
Our programs include a comprehensive curriculum, unmatched teaching methods, FAANG+ instructors, and career coaching to help you nail your next tech interview.
Register for our FREE webinar to know more!