The simple UI and personalized features make Twitter an attractive platform for its current 217 million user base. Software engineers work on connecting these users seamlessly by writing viable code and helping Twitter retain its position as one of the world's biggest social media platforms.
Twitter software engineer salary packages are highly competitive because they only want to hire the best. Rewarding salary, excellent career prospects, and an ideal work environment make Twitter a popular choice for software engineers. Twitter software engineer salary range is from $88,000 - $309,000.
Having trained over 11,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Our alums consistently land offers from FAANG+ companies. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $1.267 Million!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
To help you understand the Twitter software engineer salary structure, in this article, we’ll be covering:
- What Does It Take to Become a Twitter Software Engineer?
- Twitter Software Engineer Salary by Levels
- Twitter Software Engineer Salary by Location
- Twitter Software Engineer Salary vs. Salaries of Other Leading Companies
- Perks of Being a Twitter Software Engineer
- Tips to Ace Your Next Twitter Software Engineer Technical Interview
- FAQs on Twitter Software Engineer Salary
What Does It Take to Become a Twitter Software Engineer?
Before moving ahead, you probably want to know what a day in the life of a Twitter software engineer looks like. Here are some of the tasks a Twitter software engineer does every day:
- Create viable codes
- Debug codes
- Participate in team meetings
- Review the functionality of the codes
- Create reports and find new software solutions as per the business requirements
Sounds like something you want to do? Then let’s see the eligibility criteria for each job role:
Software Engineer - Home Timeline
In this case, a senior software engineer is responsible for building backend services. It involves making new user-friendly products to attract more people to this Twitter medium.
Skills and Qualifications:
- You must possess a BS, MS, or Ph.D. degree in computer science.
- Working experience of 1 to 3 years.
- In-depth knowledge of algorithms, data structure, and coding.
- Expertise in NoSQL, database, IDL, cache, data storage system, etc.
- You must have working experience in MySQL, Thrift, Cassandra, Memcache, Redis, and Map-Reduce architecture.
- Well-versed in building user-facing and machine learning products.
Software Engineer - Product Infrastructure
Here, you will be responsible for building new software infrastructure (push notifications, SMS, etc.).
Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience in creating software systems.
- Over two years of experience in software development.
- You must have experience reviewing codes, testing units, and software design planning.
Bonus point: You don't need a computer science degree to be eligible for this role!
Senior Software Engineer in Backend Application
This job includes a ton of responsibilities. One such crucial role is collaborating with the Product Management and User Research team and creating a survey on Twitter.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Professional experience of over five years in software development.
- Working knowledge in Java, C#, and other related programming languages.
- Over two years of experience in leading product design and management.
- A degree in computer science or equivalent field is essential.
- Ability to work as a team member and must have a mentoring capability.
Senior Software Engineer in Test
For this job role, you need to use Java and Scala to design and develop end-to-end tests to assess the viability of a product.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Over five years of working experience in Java and over two years of experience in Software Engineering Test.
- You must possess strong analytical skills.
- Excellent communication skills and experience in product management.
Twitter Software Engineer Salary by Levels
According to the reviews collected from several Twitter employees, Comparably ranks Twitter's compensation structure in the top 40%.
Take a look at some of the Twitter software engineer salary structures as per different levels:
Please note: The salaries of Twitter software engineers vary with location, work experience, and job levels. For instance, the average salary of an SWE II with three years at the company and four years of work experience is $282,000 per year in New York.
Twitter Software Engineer Salary by Location
Take a look below at the average annual salary of Twitter’s software engineers based on the location:
This is not an all-inclusive list; Twitter has many more locations across the United States.
Twitter Software Engineer Salary vs. Salaries of Other Leading Companies
You should weigh the salary of Twitter’s software engineers with its competitors and other leading companies to make an informed decision. Here’s the list mentioned below:
According to Comparably, the average total compensation earned by a Twitter software engineer is $42,644 more than the US average for a software engineer.
Perks of Being a Twitter Software Engineer
As per Comparably, 83% of Twitter’s employees are satisfied with the company's work culture, environment, and the excellent range of opportunities offered. Apart from the highly competitive Twitter software engineer salary package, here are some of them:
Insurance, Health, and Wellness:
- Health insurance
- Vision insurance
- Dental insurance
- Accidental death
- Health savings account
- Employee assistance program
- Maternity leave
- Paternity leave
- Complimentary breakfast, lunch, and dinner (5 days a week)
- Free snacks and drinks
- On-site mother's room
- Unlimited personal and vacation days
- Option to work remotely
- Phone bill reimbursement of up to $1,200/year
- Shuttle service
- Financial assistance during retirement
4 Tips to Ace Your Next Twitter Technical Interview
The software engineer interviews at Twitter vary with each job role. Here are our expert tips that will improve your chances of cracking your next tech interview at this Tier-1 tech company:
Brush Up on Your Programming Language Skills
Twitter's interview processes stress the fundamentals of computer science. Therefore, you must clearly understand at least one programming language. In addition, learn about complex algorithms, network concepts, and others.
Coding Is the Key
For a software engineering interview at Twitter, rigorous coding practice is essential. Practice regularly on LeetCode and InterviewBit. If you are an experienced professional, you must have a clear knowledge of the contribution to your past projects.
Review Your Resume
Add all the following relevant experiences that align with the job description:
- Your professional experience or internship.
- Educational qualification.
- Mandatory mention of your technical knowledge.
- Projects that you have worked on and achievements.
Work on Time Management
Answering the questions is not enough. Interviewers want their candidates to come up with the right answer quickly. Hence, practice mock interviews and track your progress to improve further and increase your chances of landing attractive Twitter software engineer salary packages.
We hope this comprehensive guide gives you a clearer idea about the Twitter software engineer's salary.
FAQs on Twitter Software Engineer Salary
Some of the most frequently asked questions about Twitter software engineer salary are:
Q1. What is the average salary at Twitter?
On average, an employee at Twitter makes $133,045 per year or $63 an hour (including base and bonus).
Q2. What Is the annual Twitter software engineer salary?
The average Twitter software engineer salary is $149,778 a year, where the base salary is $129,528, and the bonus is $20,250.
Q3. What Is the average salary of a Twitter full stack developer with five years of working experience?
The annual salary of a full-stack developer at Twitter is $342,000 in New York. The salary breakdown is as: Base: $184,000, Bonus: $39,000, and Stock: $119,000.
This is the common Twitter software engineer salary structure used by the company.
Q4. What do software engineers do at Twitter?
As a software engineer at Twitter, you’ll be working with the project management and user research teams to define and create a survey experience on the Twitter platform. Further, you’ll have to write technical design documents, perform code reviews, and lead projects along with one or two supporting engineers.
Q5. Is it hard to get a job at Twitter?
The entire hiring process that Twitter employs can get quite tedious. So you’ll need to be at your best when you appear for it. Prepare thoroughly for the ride as it can take up to 2-4 weeks to complete the entire process.
Get Ready for Your Software Engineer Interview
If you need help with your prep, join Interview Kickstart’s Interview Courses — the first-of-its-kind, domain-specific tech interview prep program. We’ll help you land your dream job and the Twitter software engineer salary you deserve.
IK is the gold standard in tech interview prep. Our programs include a comprehensive curriculum, unmatched teaching methods, FAANG+ instructors, and career coaching to help you nail your next tech interview.