Facebook EMs play a key role in managing engineers by building high-performing teams, setting direction, inspiring future visions for their teams, and supporting people in their career growth.
While Facebook is a popular social networking site, it is also well-known as an employer for offering generous benefits and compensation. A Facebook engineering manager's annual base salary is $245,527. It's no surprise that many skilled professionals want to join Facebook.
If you are preparing for a Facebook engineering manager interview, this article will give you the key information you need before planning your Facebook engineering manager interview prep.
Having trained over 13,500 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Our alums consistently land offers from FAANG+ companies. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $1.267 Million!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
In this article, we’ll cover:
- Stages of Facebook Engineering Manager Interview
- Skills Needed to Succeed at Facebook Engineering Manager Roles
- Key Topics for Facebook Engineering Manager Interview
- Prep Tips for the Facebook Engineering Manager Interview
- Facebook Engineering Manager Interview Questions
- FAQs on Facebook Engineering Manager Interview Preparation
Stages of Facebook Engineering Manager Interview
Facebook engineering manager interviews typically are structured in the following way:
- Phone screen: 30-45 minute call with a recruiter to check basic communication skills and to see if you have a shot at the job.
- Technical phone screen: 45-60 minute call with a hiring manager to discuss past projects and behavioral and technical questions.
- On-site interview: Five to six rounds of 45 minutes each. One interview each on people management, project retrospective, and culture fit. 1-2 interviews each on system design and coding.
Recommended Reading: Do engineering manager interviews include coding questions?
Skills Needed to Succeed at Facebook Engineering Manager Roles
The essential skills and qualifications required to excel at Facebook engineering manager roles include:
- Prioritization skills
- Risk management
- Project management
- Knowledge management
- Technical skills
- Personal and communication skills
- Team management and mentoring
Read our comprehensive guide to the engineering manager role to learn more about the EM role and responsibilities, required skillsets, salary details, and more.
Key Topics for Facebook Engineering Manager Interview
Here are some important topics you’ll need to cover while you prepare for your Facebook engineering manager interview:
- Past projects
- Cultural fit with Facebook’s values
- System design
- Data Structures and Algorithms
- People and project management
- Industry news relevant to Facebook
Find out the salary of an engineering manager at Facebook and know about the total compensation packages along with perks and benefits.
Prep Tips for Facebook Engineering Manager Interview
Here are some key steps you need to take to prepare better for your Facebook engineering manager interview:
- Learn as much as you can about the company and align your experiences with the values of the company and the needs of the role you’re applying
- Read about the latest developments within the industry
- Take mock interviews
- Practice coding questions
- Use the STAR or CAR method to talk about your experiences
- Have answers ready for expected questions on prioritization, mentoring, and risk management
- See how your experiences show you align with Facebook’s core values: move fast, be bold, focus on impact, be open, and build social value
If you’re looking for some more tips on how to crack engineering manager interview questions at FAANG+ companies, this is the blog you should read!
Facebook Engineering Manager Interview Questions
Think you’re ready? Gauge your prep with these Facebook EM interview questions:
- How would you recruit good engineers?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Design a distributed Botnet.
- How do you approach managing projects?
- Describe a challenging situation where you showed leadership.
- Describe a project you led.
- Design Facebook’s newsfeed.
- Design a system that handles millions of card transactions every hour.
- Given two arrays, compute their intersection.
- Given a binary tree, convert it in place into a circular doubly linked list.
- How will you communicate about tech projects with non-tech teams?
- What have you been working on the past year?
To add a finesse touch to your interview prep, read our blog on what you should expect from an engineering manager interview.
FAQs on Facebook Engineering Manager Interview Prep
Q1. When do you get promoted at Facebook?
Typically, when you have already been working at the next level for six months or the span of one or two review periods, you get promoted to the next level at Facebook.
Q2. What is Facebook’s acceptance rate?
The acceptance rate at Facebook is less, especially for software engineering roles, being less than 3%.
Q3. Is it worth it to become an engineering manager?
While it can be tough to become an engineering manager and may take a long time, it's seen as the most viable and lucrative path for a thriving tech career since it’s not common for Individual Contributors to have a clearly defined path for growth.
Q4. What are the average base and additional pay of a Facebook engineering manager?
The average base pay of a Facebook engineering manager is $245,527 per annum, and the additional pay average is $49,782.
Q5. How are candidates scored after an interview at Facebook?
The hiring team at Facebook uses an internal solution for giving interview feedback. The solution helps them summarize how they think the interview went, select yes or no to say if they believe the candidate should be hired, and lastly, indicate their degree of confidence on a four-point scale.
Ready to Nail Your Next Facebook Engineering Manager Interview?
Whether you’re a coding engineer gunning for a software developer or software engineer role, a tech lead, or targeting management positions at top companies, IK offers courses specifically designed for your needs to help you with your technical interview preparation!
If you’re looking for guidance and help with getting started, join our Engineering Management Interview Course. As pioneers in technical interview preparation, we have trained thousands of software engineers to crack the most challenging coding interviews and land jobs at their dream companies, such as Google, Facebook, Apple, Netflix, Amazon, and more!