Wayfair Interview Questions for Software Engineers
Preparing extensively for Wayfair interview questions is of paramount importance as the company is known for its sophisticated job interview process. Even if you're a software engineer, you need to not only crack coding questions but also nail situational and behavioral questions.
Being one of the largest home goods e-commerce platforms, Wayfair always looks for talented software engineers to join their team. If you're a problem-solver and innovator who enjoys creating new tools from scratch, you'll fit right in.
Before you start your interview prep, read this article to understand the interview process and go through some common Wayfair interview questions.
Having trained over 10,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Our alums consistently land offers from FAANG+ companies. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $1.267 Million!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Here's what we'll cover in this article:
- Wayfair Interview Process for Software Engineers
- Wayfair Coding Interview Questions
- Wayfair System Design Interview Questions
- Wayfair Behavioral Interview Questions
- Tips to prepare for Wayfair Interview Questions
- FAQs on Wayfair Interview Questions
Wayfair Interview Process for Software Engineers
Before you start preparing answers for common interview questions at Wayfair, it's crucial that you understand the interview process.
Here's what you can expect:
1. Recruiter Call
During this call, the recruiter will give you an overview of Wayfair's business. They will then explain the role (and possibly other related roles) to understand if you would be a good fit.
2. Technical Screen
You can expect system design and coding interview questions during this interview round at Wayfair. The test is conducted over Karat, a technical assessments platform that provides a fully tooled IDE to candidates.
Apart from Karat, the company also utilizes other assessment tools, depending on the requirement of the role (like if you need to work on a case study). Either way, the recruiter will brief you about it so that you can be prepared for the interview questions.
3. Phone Screen
In the phone screen at Wayfair, you can expect interview questions regarding work and thought processes. The best way to answer these questions is using the STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) method.
4. On-site Panel
Wayfair's on-site or virtual panel has four parts:
- Data modeling/app architecture
- System design
- Team building
After each session, you'll have 5-10 minutes to ask any questions you have about the company or the role.
5. Internal Review
By this stage, your job is done. The interviewers will craft their feedback on your performance in each round and make a decision. If you've answered all interview questions to their satisfaction, you'll receive an offer from Wayfair.
6. Fit and Sell Calls
When you interview for the software engineer job at Wayfair, your role may not always be predefined. Once you receive the offer, additional calls will be set up with the hiring manager to determine which role in the company would be the best fit for you. This will be a mutual decision, and you can ask as many questions as you like during these sessions before you make the final decision.
Wayfair Coding Interview Questions
You'll face coding interview questions during two Wayfair interview rounds — Technical Screen and the On-site. During the on-site, the coding round is conducted over Codility. Your coding style, comprehension, speed, testing, and communication will be tested here.
Here are a few Wayfair coding interview questions for practice:
- Given: An array of weights and a target weight
Task: Check if the array contains two values that are equal to the target weight
- Given: Integers M and N
Task: Create an MxN matrix with elements in the range [1, MxN], such that the average of any subarray of any row is an integer
- Given: Two strings
Task: Find the longest common substring
- Given: Two non-negative integers represented as strings
Task: Return the sum of the numbers as a string
- Write a method that takes an array string as input and converts it into file format
- Check if the given graph is strongly connected
Note: Software Engineers and Senior Software Engineers can also expect some SQL interview questions at Wayfair. These will be based on concepts such as JOINS, GROUP BY, HAVING CLAUSE, which you will have to apply on a given data set.
For more coding interview questions and solutions, visit the Problems page.
Wayfair System Design Interview Questions
The system design and app architecture interview rounds at Wayfair are conducted over Sketchboard (online) or a whiteboard (in office). You'll be asked to design a high-level physical architecture full-stack system.
Here are some sample Wayfair system design interview questions:
- Design an automated parking garage
- Design an app like Instagram
- Design TinyURL
- Design the database schema for an app like Netflix
- Design a rail and road network
- Design a database like IMDB
For tips on cracking system design interview questions at Wayfair and other top tech companies, read this article.
Wayfair Behavioral Interview Questions
You can expect behavioral interview questions during the phone screen and the team building interview round at Wayfair. The team building round will be more of a discussion. The theme will be around a project you've worked on in the past.
Here are a few behavioral interview questions asked at Wayfair job interviews:
- Describe a time when you kept your needs aside to help a coworker. How did you help them? What was the outcome of your help?
- Describe a time when you faced a conflict in a team.
- What is a goal that you have for yourself? What are the steps you take to achieve this goal?
- Have you ever worked with someone who has an entirely different personality than yourself? How was the experience?
- Tell us about a situation where you had wished to have handled an instance differently with a coworker.
- What is the most challenging problem you solved?
- Provide an example of how you handled a situation wherein you needed info, but your colleague did not respond to it.
- Did you have difficulty in maintaining a relationship with a team member? Tell us your thoughts on it.
- Have you ever worked with a difficult client? How was your experience?
- Tell me about a time when you disappointed an important client. How did you handle it?
- How do you handle failure?
- Tell me about the time when you took a leadership role.
- Suppose a company that you work for does something illegal or unethical. How will you react?
- What role are you ready to accept in a group?
- If we overburden you with initiatives, how would you handle it?
- How would you handle meeting a tight deadline?
- Where do you view your career in Wayfair 5 years from now?
- Talk about the time when your mood affected your job. (Either positively or negatively).
- Did you build friendships in your last job? Are you still friends with them?
- Mention your most significant professional strengths.
For more behavioral questions that you can practice for interviews at Wayfair and other top tech companies, read this article.
Tips to Prepare for Wayfair Interview Questions
For a software developer role at Wayfair, it is incredibly crucial that you crack the coding interview.
Here are a few tips from Wayfair that will help you answer the coding interview questions:
- Assess the time complexity of all answers.
- Sometimes, it is better to arrive at a suboptimal solution instead of looking for a perfect solution.
- Break your code into functions. It's always simpler to tackle smaller chunks of code.
- Feel free to ask questions.
- Think out loud. You will also be assessed on your ability to think. The interviewer will also evaluate your comfort level regarding asking for help.
We hope these Wayfair interview questions help you kickstart your interview prep. All the best!
FAQs on Wayfair Interview Questions
Q1. How long does the Wayfair interview process last?
The interview process can take 1-2 weeks to complete. After completion, the company will send you an offer letter and perform a background check.
Q2. How do you answer questions at the Wayfair interview?
For behavioral questions at Wayfair, use the STAR method. For the technical rounds, be sure to think out loud to inform the interviewer of your thought process.
Q3. What is the average software engineer salary at Wayfair?
The average salary of software engineers at Wayfair is around $122,867 annually (Indeed.com).
Q4. How do I prepare for a Wayfair interview?
To prepare for the Wayfair tech interview, you can practice coding problems (Leetcode, easy-medium), system design questions (design applications like Instagram, TinyURL, etc.), and situation and behavioral questions (using the STAR method).
Q5. Can I negotiate salary at Wayfair?
Yes. If you have the necessary negotiation skills, you can negotiate your salary at Wayfair.
Gear Up for Your Next Tech Interview
Are you getting ready for an upcoming interview at Wayfair? Register for our technical interview webinar.
At Interview Kickstart, we've trained thousands of engineers to land lucrative offers at the biggest tech companies. Our instructors, who are FAANG hiring managers, know what it takes to nail tough tech interviews at top technology companies.
Register for our FREE webinar to learn more.