Palantir is a sought-after company due to its worldwide reputation, software engineer salary, and additional bonuses. The company seeks exceptionally talented software engineers with practical expertise in distributed systems infrastructure, user experience design, big data processing, and data science. You must be adept at creating the best user experience for customers to land a software engineering job at Palantir.
If you are interested in pursuing a career at Palantir, you must understand the role and responsibilities of a software engineer at Palantir. Continue reading to discover the Palantir software engineer salary, perks, bonuses, stock options, health benefits, commuter benefits, and all you need to know before applying for a job at Palantir.
Having trained over 10,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Our alums consistently land offers from FAANG+ companies. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $1.267 Million!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
This article will discuss the Palantir Technologies software engineer salary package based on experience, company, location, critical skills, and eligibility criteria.
Here's what we'll cover:
- About Palantir
- What does a Palantir software engineer do?
- What makes you eligible for a Palantir software engineer position?
- Annual average Palantir software engineer salary in the US
- Average Palantir software engineer salary by levels
- Top skills that can help elevate your Palantir software engineer salary
- Palantir software engineer salary — Which US city pays the most?
- Benefits of working as a software engineer at Palantir
- FAQs on Palantir's software engineer salary
Palantir Technologies is an American software company. Peter Thiel, Nathan Gettings, Joe Lonsdale, Stephen Cohen, and Alex Karp founded the company in 2003 to build software that empowers businesses to integrate their data, operations, and decisions effectively. It has headquarters in Denver, Colorado.
Presently, Palantir Technologies offers a suite of software applications that assist integration, visualization, and information analysis. Its popular products help in the human-driven analysis of real-world data, uncovering human trafficking, unraveling financial crimes, and much more.
What Does a Palantir Software Engineer Do?
You must possess an unwavering focus and outshining engineering mindset to effectively carry out the duties as a software engineer at Palantir. You will be involved in various tasks of the company's product lifecycle, from idea generation to implementation to execution. The following points provide an overview of your potential responsibilities as a software engineer at Palantir:
- You must closely collaborate with the technical and non-technical teams to explain your concepts and understand the customers' problems.
- You should be able to build and work on platforms for integrating, managing, and securing data.
- The company can also assign you some fieldwork wherein you will directly work with customers — deploying products and optimizing their workflows.
- As a senior software engineer, you should be adept at designing technologies that can help Palantir achieve its goals, such as helping institutions protect liberty via privacy-protective capabilities in the company's products.
- You will be responsible for contributing high-quality code to Palantir products (such as Palantir Gotham or Foundry).
- You will have to deal with users and non-technical stakeholders to address and understand how your technical initiatives impact them.
You must check out the official job description for the role you are applying for to obtain precise information about your key responsibilities.
What Makes You Eligible for a Palantir Software Engineer Position?
You must fit the following eligibility criteria to secure a software engineering job at Palantir Technologies. The basic requirements for a software engineer at Palantir are as follows:
- You must possess a strong engineering background in computer science, physics, mathematics, software engineering, or relevant experience.
- You should be well-versed in data structures, system design, algorithms, storage systems, cloud infrastructure, software frameworks, and other technical tools (as mentioned in the job description).
- As a software engineer, you should be a strong coder with demonstrated skills in at least one programming language, such as Python, Java, C++, JS, or others.
- You should possess a desire to create intuitive, scalable products to work with data.
Annual Average Palantir Software Engineer Salary in the US
The average Palantir software engineer salary is $142,350 annually (Comparably.com). It includes a base salary of $126,400 per year and a bonus of $15,950. You will be delighted to know that the total compensation for software engineers at Palantir exceeds the US average for a software engineer by $35,205 per year.
The Palantir software engineer salary ranges from $135,500 to $144,250, with equity ranging from .001-.005%.
Average Palantir Software Engineer Salary by Levels
You must be intrigued to know about the lead software engineer salary and other software engineer salaries at Palantir.
If you are at an entry-level software engineer position with 1 to 4 years of experience, you can earn an average total compensation of $135k that includes tips, bonuses, and overtime pay.
If you have 5 to 9 years of experience in a relevant field, you will be able to earn an average total compensation of $142k. The following table will help you understand the average Palantir software engineer salary based on different positions/software engineer levels (Glassdoor.com).
Top Skills That Can Help Elevate Your Palantir Software Engineer Salary
You should know the primary factors that can impact your Palantir software engineer salary. Some of these factors are as follows:
- Your years of experience in a relevant field.
- Your education impacts your Palantir software engineer salary. If you have a master’s degree or a Ph.D., you have chances of getting a higher salary.
- Some additional certifications that relate to your job role.
- If you perform well at junior positions while being a part of the Palantir software engineering, you multiply your chances of advancing to higher levels and thus obtaining a higher Palantir software engineer salary.
- The location of the company’s office plays a vital role in deciding your Palantir software engineer salary.
- Your negotiation skills during salary negotiations in the interview process.
Your skill-set influences your Palantir software engineer salary. You must check out the position-specific skills in the official job description of the role you are applying for. Here is a list of some top skills that can help you elevate your Palantir software engineer salary:
- Proficiency in programming languages, including Go and Java for the back end and Typescript for the front end.
- Expertise in open-source technologies such as Cassandra, React, Spark, ElasticSearch, Redux.
- Knowledge of industry-standard build tools: Gradle, Webpack, and Github.
- Demonstrated ability to work with big data technologies: big data technologies including Hadoop, IMDB, Blockchain, NoSQL, Data Lakes.
- Selenium and other software testing tools
You must possess the following soft skills to complement your technical responsibilities as a software engineer at Palantir.
- Communication skills
- Problem-solving ability
- Teamwork ability
- Openness to feedback
Palantir Software Engineer Salary — Which US City Pays the Most?
Your Palantir software engineer salary will be influenced by the position of the company’s office. Certain US cities have higher salaries for software engineers than other cities.
For example, the average Palantir software engineer salary in Seattle is $142,350 annually. This amount includes a base salary of $126,400 and a $15,950 bonus (Glassdoor.com). The total compensation for Seattle employees is $35,205 above the US average compensation for a software engineer.
New York is the highest paying city in the United States for Palantir software engineer positions. The following table will help you compare the Palantir software engineer salaries for various cities in the United States as per salary details from Glassdoor.
Comparison of Palantir Software Engineer Salary With FAANG+ Companies
If you wish to pursue a career in software engineering, you must know the average pay scales of top tech companies. Here is a comparison of the average software engineer Palantir salary with the salaries offered by FAANG+ companies.
Benefits of Working as a Software Engineer at Palantir
You should know the multiple benefits that Palantir offers to its employees in addition to the Palantir software engineer salary. The most promising benefits are as follows:
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Life insurance
- Vision insurance
- Accidental death and dismemberment insurance
- Adoption assistance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Health Savings Account (HSA) that includes $100 per month contributed by the employer
- Mental health care
- Vacation and paid time-offs (unlimited with manager approval)
- Free lunch and snacks
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Fertility assistance
- On-site mothers' room
- 401k retirement plan
- Flexible working arrangements with working from home facility
FAQs on Palantir's Software Engineer Salary
1. What is the salary range for a software engineer position at Palantir?
You can expect your Palantir software engineer salary to fall in the range of $135,500 to $144,250 per year in the United States (Comparably.com).
2. Who is a forward-deployed software engineer at Palantir?
A forward-deployed software engineer (FDSE) is also known as a delta engineer. An FDSE is a software engineer who engages with customers directly to configure Palantir's existing software platforms and solve their most challenging problems.
3. What is the average forward-deployed software engineer Palantir salary?
The average forward-deployed software engineer Palantir salary is $112,277 per year in the United States (Glassdoor.com).
4. What is the average hourly pay for Palantir's software engineers?
The average Palantir software engineer salary is $70 per hour, which is above the national average per hour for software engineering positions (Glassdoor.com).
5. How long is the Palantir hiring process for software engineers?
You should know that the hiring process for software engineering positions takes an average of 26 days at Palantir Technologies. The competition is stiff as the company receives hundreds of applications for every software engineer role. You must prepare well to nail your interview at Palantir.
Ace Your Palantir Software Engineer Interview
To gain momentum on your Palantir Software Engineer interview prep, register for Interview Kickstart's FREE webinar. It will help you understand the best way to prepare for interviews at the biggest companies.
IK is the gold standard in tech interview prep. Our programs include a comprehensive curriculum, unmatched teaching methods, FAANG+ instructors, and career coaching to help you nail your next tech interview.
We've trained thousands of engineers to land dream offers at the biggest companies, including Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Microsoft, and Netflix, among others. Check out some reviews to learn more.
Sign up for our FREE Webinar!