Top Data Structure and Algorithm Interview Questions Asked at Google
Data structures and algorithms are critical components of Google coding interviews. In fact, every top tech company that you apply to evaluates your coding abilities depending on how you answer data structure interview questions. It is highly recommended that you practice several DSA problems if you want to ace Google's coding interview. This is primarily due to extremely stiff competition, the difficulty level of DSA problems, and low acceptance rates of less than 1%.
In this article, we’ll look at some common data structure interview questions asked in Google’s tech interviews. We’ll look at data structure interview questions on arrays, trees, graphs, linked lists, and more. Remember to solve as many data structures and algorithms interview questions of varying difficulty levels to get ahead of the competition.
If you’re a software engineer, coding engineer, software developer, engineering manager, or tech lead preparing for tech interviews, check out our technical interview checklist, interview questions page, and salary negotiation e-book to get interview-ready!
Having trained over 9,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the most challenging tech interviews. Since 2014, Interview Kickstart alums have landed lucrative offers from FAANG and Tier-1 tech companies, with an average salary hike of 49%. The highest-ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $1.267 Million!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies. Our reviews will tell you how we’ve shaped the careers of thousands of professionals aspiring to take their careers to new heights.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
Let’s go ahead and look at some popular data structure interview questions that appear at Google’s interviews.
Here’s what we’ll cover in this article:
- Google Data structure Interview Questions on Arrays
- Google Data structure Interview Questions on Strings
- Google Data structure Interview Questions on Linked Lists
- Google Data structure Interview Questions on Trees and Graphs
- FAQs on Google Data Structure Interview Questions
Google Data Structure Interview Questions on Arrays
Arrays are a crucial topic that features in coding interviews at Google and other FAANG+ companies. Let’s look at some sample data structures and algorithms interview questions on Arrays.
- For a given array of size N-1, containing integers in the range from 1 to N, write a program to find the missing element in the array.
- For a given array containing positive integers, write a code to return the sum of the elements of the array.
- For a given unsorted array of size N, write a code to rotate it anticlockwise by D elements.
- For a given array of size N, write a code to print the reverse of the array.
- For a given array A, write a code to delete the duplicate elements in the array.
- For a given array Arr containing integer elements, write a code to find the minimum and maximum elements of the array
- For a given array of size N containing distinct integer numbers, write a code to sort the array in the wave fashion.
- Write a code to find the maximum subarray of non-negative numbers from a given array containing integer values.
Take a look at the best Data Structures and Algorithms Courses to crack FAANG interviews.
Google Data Structure Interview Questions on Strings
Strings are another important data structure around which coding problems are asked at Google’s interviews. Let’s look at some data structure interview questions on Strings.
- For a given String S, write a code to reverse the string without disturbing the individual words.
- For a given String, write a program to print all permutations (of its characters) and return it in a lexicographically sorted fashion.
- For a given String that has its elements represented in Roman Values, write a code to convert the String into integer values.
- For a given String S, write a program to remove duplicate elements from the String.
- For a given String S, write a code to find the minimum number of elements or characters that need to be inserted to convert it into a palindrome.
- For a given String S, write a program to find the length of the longest Substring with distinct values.
- For a given String S, write a code to remove successive duplicate characters recursively.
- For two strings, A and B, write a program to figure out if B can be obtained by rotating A in at least two places.
Google Data Structure Interview Questions on Linked Lists
In this section, we’ll look at some popular data structures and algorithms interview questions on Linked Lists.
- Write a code to reverse a Singly Linked List.
- Write a code to add two numbers represented by Linked Lists
- Write a function to remove the nth node from a Linked List
- Write a program to swap adjacent nodes in a Linked List
- Write a code to reverse a Linked List from position X to position Y
- For a given Linked List, write a code to return the node value where the cycle in question begins
- Write a program to flatten a given multi-level linked list
- Write a code to find the next greater node for a given Linked List
Practice some more Java Data Structures Interview Questions and Answers here.
Google Data Structure Interview Questions on Graph Algorithms and Trees
Trees and Graphs are amongst the most important coding concepts for technical interviews. Let’s look at some sample data structure interview questions on graph algorithms and trees.
- For a given binary tree B, write a function to calculate its height
- For a given binary tree that contains all unique values, write a code to find the lowest common ancestors of the nodes
- For a given binary tree, write a function to connect nodes that are at the same level
- For a given binary tree T, write a function to find its spiral order traversal
- For a given binary tree, write a program that traces its vertical traversal
- For a given binary tree T, write a code to print the bottom view of the tree from left to right
- You're given the root of a binary tree T. Write a program to find out of it is a Binary Search Tree or not
- For a given Directed Graph with V vertices and E edges, write a program that identifies that number of strongly connected components in the graph
- For a given Directed Acyclic Graph, write a program that finds the topological sorting in the graph
- For a given graph with E edges and V vertices, find out whether the graph contains a cycle or not
Practice some Python Data Structures Interview Questions and Answers here.
Practicing these data structure interview questions for your Google interview will undoubtedly give you an advantage over your competitors. You can also learn more about AVL in Data Structures and Algorithms here.
For more data structure interview questions and optimal coding solutions, visit our Problems Page.
FAQs on Google Data Structure Interview Questions
Q1. How to prepare for data structure interview questions asked in Google’s tech interview?
To solve Java data structure interview questions, you must be thorough with the following concepts - arrays, strings, linked lists, recursion, hash tables, graphs, trees, and dynamic programming.
Q2. When are data structure interview questions asked in Google’s technical interviews?
Data structure interview questions are asked during the Technical Phone Screen Round and the On-site interview round.
Q3. How many interview rounds are there in Google’s technical interview?
Google’s technical interview comprises three main rounds - The Initial Recruiter Screen, The Technical Phone Screen (where you’re asked 1-2 coding problems), and the On-site interview (which consists of a coding round, a design round, and a behavioral round).
Q4. What is the best way to solve tough Google data structure interview questions?
The best way to solve Google data structure interview questions is to identify patterns problems and use existing patterns to solve new problems.
Q5. How many data structure coding problems are asked in Google’s technical interview?
At Google’s interview, you can expect 1-2 DSA coding problems in the Technical Phone Screen round and 1-2 coding problems in the On-site interview round.
Get Ready for Your Upcoming Technical Interview
If you’ve begun preparing for your next technical interview, register for Interview Kickstart’s technical interview webinar and get ahead by understanding foolproof and advanced strategies from industry experts. These reviews from our alums will tell you exactly how we’ve helped thousands of students to scallop their professional careers by assisting them to crack technical interviews at the biggest companies.