Top Chewy Interview Questions for Software Engineers
Interested in working for the company that revolutionized the pet industry? In this article, we’ve covered Chewy interview questions to help you do just that.
Chewy, one of the biggest e-commerce retailers for pet supplies, is always looking for talented engineers to design “out-of-the-chewy-box” platform experiences. Engineers at Chewy work on a variety of projects that include the design, development, testing, implementation, and support of Chewy’s applications and related integrations.
Chewy seeks software engineers who are big thinkers, innovators, and, obviously, passionate pet people. At Chewy, you get to work at a place that constantly encourages you to grow, build, and unleash your full potential.
Having trained over 11,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Our alums consistently land offers from FAANG+ companies. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $1.267 Million!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
To learn more about Chewy interview questions and interview rounds, keep reading:
- Chewy Interview Process
- Chewy Phone Interview Questions and How to Answer Them
- Chewy Behavioral Interview Questions and How to Answer Them
- Chewy Coding Interview Questions
- FAQs on Chewy Interview Questions
Chewy Interview Process
A typical interview at Chewy for software engineers takes about 1 week to complete. The interview process is conducted through the following rounds:
- Phone screen round with the recruiter: You can expect some typical behavioral questions about your experience and basic tech questions in this round,
- Tech assessment on HackerRank: A short 10-minute quiz on Java concepts (MCQs)
- Behavioral interview: Here, you can expect questions that test your personality, how you handle workplace issues, etc.
- Technical interview: This mainly consists of low- to medium-level HackerRank coding problems. You may even get some difficult coding questions and system design questions based on your seniority.
The behavioral and technical interviews may happen over video or on-site, depending on the location.
Chewy Phone Interview Questions and How to Answer Them
At Chewy, the first round of the interview is the phone screen by HR. Answer the Chewy job interview questions very strategically to get through to the next round.
These are some of the basic Chewy phone interview questions:
1, What are your strengths and weakness?
Describe your skills and experience that are directly relevant to the job. Do not begin with "I have no weakness." Mention something that is related to your role and also talk about what you’re doing to improve.
2. Describe your current job role.
Talk about your work responsibilities while focusing on tasks that are most relevant to the role you’re applying to.
3. What motivated you to choose Chewy?
You can mention the USPs of the company. Read up on their initiatives and talk about how they align with your interests. You can get some ideas from employee testimonials.
To answer this Chewy interview question, you should carefully go through the job description for the role. This will help you highlight your skills that are the most relevant to the job. You should reassure your interviewer that you are the right fit with the required experience and skills.
More Sample Chewy Phone Interview Questions
- How do you maintain a work-life balance?
- What is your management style?
- What is your passion?
- How do you stay motivated?
- How was your previous workspace?
- Are you comfortable traveling for work?
- What do you expect from us?
- Do you have any questions for us?
Chewy Behavioral Interview Questions and How to Answer Them
Unlike other companies, Chewy tends to focus more on soft skills. So whether you are applying for the post of Software Engineer, Software Developer, or Engineering Manager, you will encounter quite a few behavioral interview questions at Chewy that’ll test your interpersonal skills.
When an interviewer asks questions on interpersonal skills, they are more interested to see “how” you answer rather than “what” you answer.
Check these sample questions to prepare for your next Chewy interview:
1. Tell me about yourself.
A fairly common behavioral interview question. Here are some tips for answering it:
- Describe yourself in one-two sentences.
- Add what your current occupation or last degree is.
- Mention your skills.
- Describe why you are interested in the job.
- Don’t start an essay about yourself.
- Make it sound like a monologue — keep a conversational tone.
2. Why did you leave your last job?
Interviewers tend to ask this question to understand whether you will be a good fit. Answering this question honestly is your best bet.
- Give genuine reasons, like you’re looking for a more challenging role.
- Mention details on what you liked about your previous company.
- Do not speak ill about your previous company or colleagues.
3. Where do you see yourself in the next five years?
With this question, the interviewer wants to learn about your career plans and how self-aware you are.
- Share your aspirations. For instance, if you’re a fresher in an IC role, you can talk about wanting to move to a management role. If you prefer to grow in the IC role, you can talk about that too.
- Show an intent to learn and grow.
- Say, "I don't know what will happen in the next five years." It may come across as a lack of interest, foresight, and self-awareness.
4. What do you know about Chewy?
Interviewers ask this question to know if you have done your research. This shows you are interested in the company.
- Research about the company, go through their website and social media pages.
- Learn about their services in as much detail as you can.
- Do incomplete research. Just a cursory glance at the website is not going to help you. The interviewer may call you out on it.
This is one of the most common Chewy interview questions. This question is for you to highlight your strengths and achievements.
- Be upfront in speaking about your strengths, skills, and successes.
- Prove how valuable an asset you will be to the company.
- Brag. You must be careful about your tone while answering this question.
More Sample Chewy Behavioral Interview Questions
- What have you learned from your previous company?
- How will you define leadership?
- Describe a conflict at work.
- How do you plan to build relationships when you start a new job?
- Tell us about an incident where you demonstrated ownership.
- How do you manage to work on a project where you didn’t get along with your colleagues?
- What new experiences have you had while leading a team?
- How do you earn trust in your work environment?
- Tell us about the time when you failed in one of your projects.
- Tell us about the most recent project you’re worked on.
- Describe your top 3 skills.
- What made you choose this career?
- What is the biggest that you learned from your mistakes?
- Tell me about your work experience.
Recommended Reading: Behavioral Interview Questions for Software Developers
Chewy Coding Interview Questions
In the technical round at Chewy, you can expect the following types of interview questions:
- How can you reverse a given string in place?
- How can you check if two strings are anagrams of each other?
- Make a binary tree from an array.
- How to handle basic async calls?
- Implement function for robot location traffic.
- Write a method to insert a new node to a sorted linked list of integers such that the list remains sorted.
- How would you design a library using Object Oriented Samples? Describe what field they should have?
- What is a class loader?
- Difference between inner and outer joins.
- What data structures would you use to sort a group of names?
Overall, coding Chewy interview questions deal with core Java concepts, SQL, data structure and algorithms, and Spring framework. Make sure you prepare for them well before appearing for your upcoming technical interview.
For more coding interview problems and solutions, read the Problems page.
FAQs on Chewy Interview Questions
Q1. What is the Chewy interview process like?
The Chewy interview process includes a phone screen, a tech assessment, followed by technical and behavioral interviews.
Q2. Are Chewy interview questions for software engineers hard?
The interview questions Chewy are relatively simpler compared to FAANG companies. Your fundamentals should be strong, including data structures and algorithms, Java and OOPs concepts, and SQL.
Q4. How long is the interview process at Chewy?
Since the pandemic hit in 2020, Chewy has shifted its interview process online, which is about 4 hours in duration and can span over a week.
Q5. Who is the best fit for the Chewy?
Chewy looks for enthusiastic and motivated individuals who share the same passion and dedication. They look for those who can commit to providing the best shopping experience to pet parents.
Gear Up for Your Next Tech Interview
Are you getting ready for an upcoming tech interview? Register for our technical interview webinar.
At Interview Kickstart, we’ve trained thousands of engineers to land lucrative offers at the biggest tech companies. Our instructors, who are FAANG hiring managers, know what it takes to nail tough tech interviews at top technology companies.
Register for our FREE webinar to learn more.