Cyber Security Engineers are highly valued at Facebook for the critical role they play in protecting Facebook users across the company’s global platforms from potentially harmful cyber threats and attacks.
Facebook follows a “defense-in-depth” approach to security. The company implements many layers of protection to address and prevent vulnerabilities in code from different perspectives. Cyber Security Engineer roles are among the top security jobs at Facebook and come with many perks and benefits.
If you’re preparing for a Cyber Security Engineer interview, check out our technical interview checklist, interview questions page, and salary negotiation e-book to get interview-ready!
Also, read Google Software Engineer Roles and Responsibilities and Google Systems Design Interview Questions for Software Developers for specific insights and guidance on Google tech interviews.
Having trained over 6,000 software engineers and Engineering Managers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Since 2014, Interview Kickstart alums have been landing lucrative offers from FAANG and Tier-1 tech companies, with an average salary hike of 49%. The highest-ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $933,000!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
In this article, we’ll cover:
- Role of Cyber Security Engineers at Facebook
- Facebook Cyber Security Engineer Salary
- Facebook Cyber Security Engineer — Benefits
- How to Prepare for the Cyber Security Engineer Interview
- Facebook Cyber Security Engineer Salary FAQs
Role of Cyber Security Engineers at Facebook
The responsibilities of a Cyber Security Engineer at Facebook include:
- Supporting and leading security incident responses and resolutions in cross-functional environments.
- Developing incident response initiatives to improve capabilities to respond to and remedy security events.
- Performing forensic analyses of digital information.
- Performing analyses of logs from individual host logs, network traffic logs, and other sources to identify and investigate potential threats.
- Building automation and best practices for the identification and remediation of malicious activity.
- Driving the implementation of mitigations, countermeasures, and containment.
- Designing and implementing systems that prevent and minimize security risks for Facebook infrastructure and data.
- Coding, primarily using C++, Python, PHP/Hack, Golang, and Java.
- Conducting design and code reviews.
- Analyzing and improving scalability, efficiency, and stability for the assigned product area or systems.
- Identifying and driving changes required for the assigned product area, codebase, or systems.
- Interfacing with other teams; incorporating innovations.
Facebook Cyber Security Engineer — Role Requirements
If you’re applying for the position of Cyber Security Engineer at Facebook, these are the minimum qualifications you’ll need to possess:
- B.S. in Computer Science, specializing in the field of security, or equivalent work experience.
- Experience communicating and working successfully in cross-functional environments.
- Experience building large-scale distributed systems.
- 4+ years of software development experience.
- Experience in the field of attacker tactics, techniques, and procedures.
- Experience analyzing network and host-based security events.
- Knowledge of networking technologies such as TCP/IP and related protocols.
Facebook Cyber Security Engineer Salary
Salaries paid to Security Engineers at Facebook are among the highest in the market, varying from $118,629 to $224,356 per year.
- The average annual base compensation of a Facebook Security Engineer is $129,041.
- The average cash bonus given to a Facebook Security Engineer is $15,953.
- The average stock grant offered to Cyber Security Engineers at Facebook is $55,613.
While these figures and benefits pertain to entry and junior levels, Senior Cyber Security Engineers earn far more lucrative salaries and benefits.
To put a Cyber Security Engineer’s salary at Facebook into perspective — the median compensation package of a Cyber Security Engineer by FAANG+ companies in the U.S. is $137,499.
Want to negotiate a better offer? Learn from the best!
At Interview Kickstart, experts and ex-recruiters from FAANG+ companies will teach you how to leverage your skills and increase your negotiating power.
Sign up for Interview Kickstart’s FREE webinar to learn more!
Facebook Cyber Security Engineer Salary Negotiation Tips
Here are aspects to consider when negotiating a Cyber Security Engineer salary at Facebook:
- Consider the perks, benefits, and bonuses you’ll receive.
- Don’t disclose your current compensation unless necessary.
- Don’t feel pressured to specify your expected compensation.
- Build a good rapport with the hiring manager.
- Don’t insist on written offers.
- Ask for a relocation package, if applicable.
- Ask for time to consider the offer made and to present a counter offer.
- There is a lot of publicly accessible market data on compensation paid to Cyber Security Engineers. Compare the offer you receive to market standards to ensure it’s a fair offer.
Read The Ultimate Guide to Salary Negotiation at FAANG for Software Engineers to hone your negotiation skills and get an offer in line with your value.
Facebook Security Engineer — Benefits
Below are the benefits offered to Facebook Cyber Security Engineers in addition to salaries
- Complete Health Insurance Coverage
- Dental Plan
- Vision Plan
- Dependent Care FSA
- Healthcare FSA
- Cancer Care Program
- Maternity Benefits
- Paid Paternity Leave
- Fertility Coverage
- Mental Health Coverage
- Transgender Coverage
- Wellness Centers
- Paid Leave for New Parents
- Support for Family Planning
- Adoption and Surrogacy Assistance
- Baby Cash (for newborn expenses)
- Flexible Spending Account (for dependent care)
- Competitive Retirement Plan
- Life Insurance and Survivor Support
- Equity Awards
- Complimentary access to TurboTax
- Tax Consultations (Onsite or Video)
- Legal Support
- Life@ Club: A unique program that supports the building of meaningful connections at Facebook.
- Opportunity to join a Facebook resource group to be a catalyst for a fully inclusive and open environment that provides opportunities for everyone.
How to Prepare for the Cyber Security Engineer Interview
To gain a competitive edge over other candidates at your Facebook Cyber Security Engineer interview, register for Interview Kickstart’s FREE webinar. Understand the best way to prepare for Cyber Security Engineer interviews at the biggest tech companies.
The Facebook Cyber Security Engineer interview process is similar to the Facebook Software Engineer interview process.
Get advice from experts at Interview Kickstart and learn more about the interview process, from the application process to the phone screen and technical screen interview rounds to the onsite interviews.
Our programs include a comprehensive curriculum, unmatched teaching methods, FAANG+ instructors, and career coaching to help you nail your next tech interview.
Check out these reviews to know more about how our alums utilized IK programs to uplevel their careers.
Facebook Cyber Security Engineer Salary FAQs
1. How much do Cyber Security Engineers make at Facebook?
The average salary of a Security Engineer at Facebook in the United States is $129,041 per year. Salaries for this role increase with seniority, i.e., higher the job level, higher the compensation.
2. What are the different kinds of Security Engineer roles at Facebook?
The different Security Engineer positions at Facebook are:
- Infrastructure Security Engineer
- Investigations and Response Security Engineer
- Information Security Engineer
- Network Engineer
- Mobile Application Security Engineer
- Privacy Engineer
3. What benefits does Facebook offer?
Benefits offered at Facebook for the role of Cyber Security Engineer, in addition to the salary, are:
- Paid Time-off (21 days per year)
- Parental Leave Benefit (4 months)
- Complimentary Meal Facility
- Complete Health Insurance Coverage
- Unlimited Advantage of Sick Leave
- Childcare Benefits
- Gym and Wellness Support
- Fertility Advantages (e.g., egg-freezing)
- Remote Work Benefits