Data engineering has been one of the most sought-after fields in recent years, especially considering the massive swathes of data that big tech firms like Apple deal with. Data engineers play a crucial role in leveraging data to program applications, create processes, understand consumer behavior, and make business decisions. Apple actively hires for data engineering roles and is known to compensate its data engineers with lucrative salaries.
If you’re preparing for a data engineer tech interview, check out our interview questions page and salary negotiation ebook to get interview-ready! Also, read Apple Interview Questions and The Ultimate Guide To Crack Apple’s On-site Interview for specific insights and guidance on Apple tech interviews.
Having trained over 6,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Since 2014, Interview Kickstart alums have been landing lucrative offers from FAANG and tier-1 tech companies, with an average salary hike of 49%. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $933,000!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Amazon, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
In this article, we’ll look at the qualifications needed to apply for data engineering roles at Apple, the kind of compensation offered to data engineers, and compare data engineer salaries across the FAANG companies.
Here’s what we’ll cover in this article:
- The Role of Data Engineers at Apple
- Skills and Qualifications Required by Apple Data Engineers
- Apple Data Engineer Salaries
- Additional Benefits Offered to Apple Data Engineers
- Data Engineer Salaries: Apple vs. Other FAANG Companies
- Prepare for Your Next Data Engineer Interview With Interview Kickstart
The Role of Data Engineers at Apple
Though data engineers are responsible for a wide variety of activities, the core functions of a data engineer at Apple can be summarized as:
- Work with software engineering teams to build internal applications to automate data processing
- Scale data analysis to make it actionable and usable for Apple’s business operations
- Leverage analytics to build tools and programs for applications
- Understand data trends and develop scalable systems that better understand consumer behavior in order to put data to greater use
- Work with ML and AI teams to develop and design algorithms for predictive and deep learning models
- Design and build databases and specify essential requirements, including storage and security
Recommended Reading: What Does a Data Engineer Do?
Qualifications and Skills Required to be a Data Engineer at Apple
These are the main qualifications and skills required by data engineers at Apple:
- A bachelor's degree in data science, data engineering, computer science, IT, or a related field
- 4+ years of experience in the field of data engineering and data analytics
- Working knowledge of technical design, data architecture, and solutions development
- Proven experience in developing internal applications that can capture data and identify data trends
- Working knowledge of data visualization tools, including Tableau and Quicksight
- Working knowledge of object-oriented programming languages and SQL
- Working knowledge of database management systems
Data Engineer Salaries at Apple
Here’s what the average annual salary of a data engineer at Apple looks like:
The above figures indicate the average salaries of data engineers at Apple. Note that for senior positions, average salaries overshoot $300,000.
Additional Benefits Offered to Data Engineers at Apple
Here are some additional benefits that data engineers at Apple enjoy:
- Insurance benefits - health, vision, dental, disability, accidental, life
- Health savings account
- Flexible spending account
- Mental health care
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Paid vacations
- Retiree health and medical benefits
Apple Data Engineer Salaries: A Comparison With Other Top Companies
The below table compares the salaries of Apple data engineers vs. other companies.
FAANG companies are usually known for paying high salaries for data engineering roles. This reflects the importance associated with these roles. These companies also offer stock options to data engineers, mostly depending on the seniority of the position. These stock options, also known as restricted stock units, typically have a vesting period of 4-5 years.
Prepare for Your Next Data Engineering Interview
Want to get started with your data engineer interview prep? Here are some resources that can help:
- How to Prepare for Amazon Data Engineer Interview
- How to Prepare for Data Engineer Interviews
- Data Engineer Interview Process
- Data Engineering Interview Course
Also, register for our FREE webinar to get the right guidance from highly qualified instructors to prepare for data engineering interviews at the biggest tech companies.
Interview Kickstart is the gold standard in technical interview prep. So whether you’re preparing for data engineering, software, product engineering, or any other type of technical interview, our Masterclass courses could be everything you’re looking for. Our programs include an exhaustive curriculum, FAANG+ instructors, and seasoned career coaches to help you absolutely nail your next tech interview!