The demand for data engineers has seen a steep increase in the last decade as the world becomes increasingly data-driven, with several business and technology decisions being defined by data. Data engineers at Amazon enjoy lucrative salaries along with wellness and other benefits.
The average data engineer salary at Amazon is $134,924 per year, higher than salaries offered at most companies in the US.
In this post, we’ll look at Amazon data engineer salaries across levels, the roles and responsibilities of Amazon data engineers, and some frequently asked questions.
Having trained over 12,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the most challenging tech interviews. Our alums consistently land offers from FAANG+ companies. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $1.267 Million!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
Let's go ahead and look at Amazon data engineer salaries in the US. We’ll also look at the key responsibilities associated with the role. Here’s what we’ll cover:
- Roles and Responsibilities of Amazon Data Engineers
- Amazon Data Engineer Salary in the US
- Amazon Data Engineer Salary Across All Levels
- Amazon Data Engineer Salary In Comparison With Other FAANG Companies
- Prepare for Your Data Engineering Interview
- FAQs on Amazon Data Engineer Salary
Roles and Responsibilities of an Amazon Data Engineer
Below are the typical roles and responsibilities of Amazon data engineers.
- Analyze and process huge volumes of data
- Build and develop applications that enable data-driven decision-making
- Use data analytics to build processes and systems that improve day-to-day business operations
- Use data to build predictive models to automate decision-making
- Perform data modeling and data visualization
- Solve impactful problems and eliminate roadblocks to enable smooth functioning of applications and systems
To understand more about what the role entails, check out our post on the roles and responsibilities of data engineers.
Skills Required to Become an Amazon Data Engineer
To be eligible to apply for a data engineer position at Amazon, you’re required to meet the following skills and requirements:
- Working knowledge of data visualization tools such as Tableau and QuickSight
- Working knowledge of AWS-integrated technologies
- Knowledge of Big Data processing tools
- Ability to build and develop programs in consultation with software developers
- Working knowledge of SQL, object-oriented programming language, preferably Java or Python
- Proven knowledge of coding methodologies, agile methods, and data operations
Possessing these skills is crucial to cracking Amazon’s data engineer interviews and unlocking a high-paying Amazon data engineer salary. To know more about the required skillsets, learn about the 15 skills to ace data engineering interviews.
Qualifications and Experience Required to Land an Amazon Data Engineer Role
Listed below are the qualifications that Data Engineers need to apply for a job at Amazon:
- A degree in Computer Science, IT, Analytics, Data Engineering, or a closely related field
- Four or more years of experience as a Data Engineer or in a related role
- Proven experience in working cross-functionally and interacting with remote engineering teams
- Proven experience in solutions development, systems configuration, and technical design
Want to know the type of interview questions asked at Amazon data engineer interviews? Check out our post on Amazon Data Engineer Interview Questions.
Amazon Data Engineer Salary in the United States
The average Amazon data engineer salary in the United States is $134,924 per year, according to Glassdoor.com.
This includes a base salary of $128,696, a cash bonus of $28,243, and a stock bonus of $22,653.
The table below shows details of the average salary offered to Amazon data engineers.
Amazon Data Engineer Salary Across All Levels
In this section, we’ll look at data engineer salaries across levels at Amazon.
As is visible from the table above, Amazon data engineers at L6 aren’t offered cash bonuses but are offered higher stock options.
Stock Options Offered to Amazon Data Engineers
Stock options are offered to Amazon data engineers at L4, L5, and L6 levels. These stock options are given out in the form of Restricted Stock Units, subject to a vesting schedule of 4 years.
Below is the vesting schedule of stock units offered as part of the Amazon data engineer salary
- 5% vests in year 1
- 15% vests in year 2
- 40% vests in year 3
- 40% vests in year 4
Note that while these are standard vesting schedules of RSUs offered to Amazon data engineers, the vesting schedules can be different for different profiles/domains and doesn’t apply to all roles and positions at Amazon.
Additional Compensation Benefits Offered to Amazon Data Engineers
The following are some additional benefits offered to Data Engineers at Amazon:
- Insurance benefits: Health, dental, accidental, and vision
- Health savings account
- Transportation to the Amazon campus
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Paid leaves and sick leaves to employees
- Mental health and counseling services
As you prepare for your DE interview, it would be best to study Amazon using a holistic approach that extends beyond the fundamentals of the role. Don’t forget to prep your resume as well with the help of the Data Engineer Resume Guide.
Amazon Data Engineer Salary In Comparison With FAANG Companies
Here’s how data engineer salaries at Amazon compare with other top tech companies.
Data engineering roles are significantly rewarding at Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Microsoft, and Google. These companies also offer stock options to senior data engineers. Stock options come with fixed vesting periods, usually stretching up to 4 years, and are mostly dependent on the seniority of the position.
Recommended Reading: Google Data Engineer Salaries
Prepare for Your Data Engineering Interview
The most important thing to ensure you land the Data Engineer job at Amazon is to prepare well. During your preparation, make sure you research well about the company and its vision. You can also read through the following articles to learn more about the Data Engineer role and interview process:
- How to Prepare for Amazon Data Engineer Interview
- How to Prepare for Data Engineer Interviews
- Data Engineer Interview Process
FAQs on Amazon Data Engineer Salary
Q1. What is the average Amazon data engineer salary in the United States?
The average Amazon data engineer salary in the United States is $134,924.
Q2. What is the average data engineer salary at L4 for Amazon data engineers?
The average Amazon data engineer salary at L4 is $143,000 per year.
Q3. What is the average stock option value offered to Amazon data engineers at L6?
The average stock option value offered to Amazon data engineers at L6 is $123,000.
Q4. What are some benefits that are a part of the Amazon data engineer salary?
Some benefits offered to Amazon data engineers aside from the salary include - insurance benefits, wellness benefits, remote-work assets, and transportation benefits.
Q5. What is the vesting schedule of RSUs offered as part of the Amazon data engineer salary?
The vesting schedule for Restricted Stock Units offered as part of the Amazon data engineer salary is 4 years. 5% of units vest in the first year, 15% in year 2, and 40% each in years 3 and 4.
Gear Up for Your Upcoming Amazon Data Engineer Interview
If you are preparing for an upcoming data engineering interview, check out our popular Data Engineering Interview Prep Course, tailored to help you nail data engineering interviews at FAANG+ companies.
IK is the gold standard in tech interview prep. Our programs include a comprehensive curriculum, unmatched teaching methods, FAANG+ instructors, and career coaching to help you nail your next tech interview.
Sign up for our FREE webinar to uplevel your career!