Data engineering is an in-demand profession today, especially considering the incredibly vast amount of data companies deal with. Being one of the biggest tech companies in the world, Google constantly hires for data engineering roles and offers exciting compensation packages that are replete with a bunch of additional benefits. Salaries offered to Data Engineers at Google are significantly higher than the national average, making Google a hot favorite among data engineers in the United States.
Having trained over 6,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Since 2014, Interview Kickstart alums have been landing lucrative offers from FAANG and Tier-1 tech companies, with an average salary hike of 49%. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $933,000!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
In this article, we’ll look at Data Engineer Salaries at Google and other compensation benefits offered by the tech behemoth. Here’s what we’ll cover:
- The role of Data Engineers at Google
- Data Engineer salaries at Google
- Benefits offered to Google Data Engineers
- Get ready for your upcoming Data Engineering interview
The Role of Data Engineers at Google
Data engineers play a crucial role at Google. They work closely with software developers to scale Google’s vast array of business applications. They analyze huge swathes of data and gather important insights to design recommended systems. In a nutshell, here’s what you’ll essentially be doing as part of your role as a Data Engineer with Google:
- Develop and deploy internal business applications
- Work closely with developers to build scalable recommendation systems
- Work with ML engineers to develop algorithms for predictive data models
- Build internal solutions to automate business processes
- Build and design internal applications to support Google’s business intelligence and service delivery management efforts
- Understand complex business requirements and translate them into scalable technical solutions
Here’s what Google expects of data engineers who apply to open positions:
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, IT, Data Analytics, or a related field.
- A Master’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field
- 3+ years of experience as a data analyst or data engineer
- Be adept with solution development, technical design, modular and error-free coding, test documentation and execution, and systems configuration.
Data Engineer Salaries at Google
Google offers lucrative compensation to Data Engineers. This is true even for entry-level positions. Salaries offered to Data Engineers start from $106,100, significantly higher than the national average data engineer salary.
The average base compensation for Data Engineers at Google is $148,221 per annum. Data Engineer salaries can overshoot $200,000 for senior positions.
The total average compensation for Data Engineers at Google is $156,663 per annum.
The average bonus salary offered is $29,335 per annum, while the average stock bonus offered to data Engineers at Google is $61,759.
Additional Benefits Offered to Data Engineers At Google
The following are some benefits offered to Google Data Engineers in addition to the compensation:
- Insurance — health, dental, vision, disability, and life
- Paid breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Health savings account
- Transportation within and to the Google campus
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Paid vacations
- Flexible spending account
Google Data Engineer Salaries: A Comparison With Other Top Companies
Here’s how Google Data Engineer salaries compare with other FAANG and Tier-1 companies:
All these top tech companies are known to offer high salaries for data engineers, making the role highly rewarding. When it comes to competitive compensation for Data Engineers, Google is right up there. Note that the salaries can be much higher for senior Data Engineering and Data Scientist roles.
Prepare for Your Next Data Engineering Interview
If you want to get started with your interview prep and wish to give it your best shot, register for Interview Kickstart’s FREE webinar to understand the best way to prepare for Data Engineering interviews at the biggest companies.
IK is the gold standard in tech interview prep. Our programs include a comprehensive curriculum, unmatched teaching methods, FAANG+ instructors, and career coaching to help you nail your next tech interview.
We’ve trained thousands of engineers to land dream offers at the biggest companies, including Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Microsoft, and Netflix, among others. Check out some reviews to know more.