Google is a dream company for software engineers for a ton of reasons. It offers an excellent work environment and culture, along with scores of other amazing benefits. For a software engineer, landing a job with Google is no joke. Its technical interview is one of the toughest among FAANG companies. It is no surprise that landing a job at Google is harder than getting into freshman year at Harvard, mainly because the number of applicants is massive, and less than 2% of those who apply get in.
Google is known to pay lucrative salaries while also offering an array of additional employee benefits. As for the work-life balance at Google, the company promotes a culture where employees are encouraged to have a good work-life balance to make sure they’re productive, enjoy their work, and dedicate adequate time for other interests.
Having trained over 6,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Since 2014, Interview Kickstart alums have been landing lucrative offers from FAANG and Tier-1 tech companies, with a 49% average salary hike. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $933,000!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
In this article, we’ll look at the Google software engineer’s work-life balance. We’ll also compare the work-life balance for different seniority positions at Google.
Here’s what we’ll cover:
- Factors That Influence a Healthy Work-Life Balance
- The Work-Life Balance at Google
- Google Work-Life Balance Based on Department
- Google Work-Life Balance Based on Experience
- How Does Google Ensure a Healthy Work-Life Balance for Software Engineers?
- FAQs on Google Work-Life Balance
Factors That Influence Work-Life Balance
A good work-life balance is essentially influenced by the environment you work in. Several factors influence a healthy work-life balance. From a rewarding work environment to the various benefits offered to employees, the list is long.
Below is a quick look at the most critical influencers of a healthy work-life balance, regardless of the company in question.
- Insurance benefits — dental, vision, accidental, term-life, medical
- Paid vacation leaves to employees
- Encouraging recreational and fitness activities at the workplace
- Providing facilities for counseling and regular health checkups
- Promoting yoga and meditation at the workplace
- Ensuring that the work hours are fixed, and overtime is compensated adequately
- Maternity and paternity leave for pregnant moms and new parents
- Provision for flexible spending accounts
- Health savings account
- Bereavement leave for employees
- Mental health counseling to allow employees to discuss stress and areas that are burdening
- Encouraging recreational and leisure time
- Team building activities and exercises on a regular basis
- Encouraging employees to maintain a good diet and adopt healthy sleep cycles
By integrating the following components in the workplace, companies can promote a healthy work-life balance for their employees.
The Work-Life Balance at Google — What Employees Say About Google’s Work-Life Balance
Employees at Google enjoy an excellent work-life balance in general. The company offers its employees a whole bunch of exciting benefits, ranging from free breakfast/lunch/dinners to recreational facilities, gaming rooms, movie rooms, gym facilities, paid vacations, and counseling services.
Google encourages employees to have cordial relationships with each other. Superiors are trained in people-management skills and encouraged to inspire harmony and cooperation in their respective teams. Interpersonal relationships are given utmost importance at Google; this, along with an emphasis on inclusion and diversity, makes it an incredible place to work.
As per data collated by Comparably, a whopping 70+% of employees stated that they are completely satisfied with their work-life balance at Google. A majority of Google’s employees work 8 hours or less, allowing them adequate time to take to other personal hobbies/interests outside of work. Google also encourages its employees to take periodic vacations to de-stress and unwind.
Google Work-Life Balance Based on Department
In the below section, we observe the work-life balance at Google for different departments. We look at the work-life balance and happiness quotients for each of these departments.
Google’s work environment and culture are perhaps the best in the world. With unique facilities and a horde of benefits offered to employees, it comes as no surprise that the happiness quotient is excellent, regardless of the department you’re in.
The above information is based on data collated from Comparably.
Google Software Engineer Work-Life Balance Based on Experience Level
Depending on the seniority of the position, the work-life balance at Google can differ. Senior positions are associated with more responsibilities, thereby pushing the stipulated working hours at times.
The below table shows the work-life balance and happiness ratings compiled by Comparably from responses of Google employees.
How Does Google Ensure a Healthy Work-Life Balance for Software Engineers?
Often pegged as one of the best places to work in the world, Google does a ton of things to ensure that software engineers are satisfied and enjoy a healthy work-life balance. Here are some things the company does to promote a healthy work-life balance amongst its employees:
- Google encourages its employees to take frequent vacation breaks.
- The company has several on-site recreational and leisure facilities, including cinema rooms, gaming rooms, indoor sports facilities, gymnasiums, and yoga rooms. These help employees relax and take a break from work to unwind.
- Google does not encourage or promote long working hours that can have ill effects on employee health.
- The company allows employees to work remotely. Even employees who come on-site are offered flexible options to work remotely.
- The company offers paternity and maternity leaves to help new parents balance work and child-care.
- The company has on-site child-care services.
- Google encourages employees to seek counseling if they’re burdened or stressed.
- The company offers free breakfast, lunch, and dinners to employees 5 days a week.
- Google organizes regular team-building activities to promote team spirit and value individual contribution.
FAQs on Google Work-Life Balance
1. What are some good habits that help you have a good work-life balance?
Here are some factors that will help you maintain a healthy work-life balance in general:
- Make a to-do list for the day, every day, and record your progress. Create a weekly target based on your everyday to-do tasks
- Prioritize our tasks and don’t leave tasks hanging for the next day
- Devote adequate time for leisure and recreation over the weekend. Spend time with friends/family to unwind and relax
- Take up activities that promote good mental and physical health, such as yoga, meditation, sports, hiking, etc.
- Make sure to maintain a healthy diet. Avoid overeating and unhealthy eating habits. They eventually have an impact on not just your physical health but mental health as well.
- Practice breathing exercises every day. This will help you avoid stress and burnout.
- Seek help if you’re facing burnout at work. Schedule a counseling session to share your concerns and challenges to deal with them in the best possible way.
2. What should you do to avoid burnout at work?
In order to avoid burnout, here are some things that you can do:
- Create a list of things you need to get done on a daily basis and keep a target for the week.
- Don’t overburden yourself. If you have too much on your plate, convey it to your peers/superiors.
- Take periodic vacations to unwind and relax
- Practice meditation and breathing exercises to stay calm and relaxed. Meditation also helps you make good decisions at work and in your personal life, enabling you to stay mentally and physically healthy.
Get Ready for Your Next Google Interview
Thinking of the best ways to plan your prep for your upcoming software engineer interview at Google? Enroll in Interview Kickstart’s technical Interview Masterclass designed specifically to help you nail tech interviews at Google and other top tech companies.
At Interview Kickstart, we’ve helped thousands of engineers land excellent offers from FAANG and tier-1 companies. If you’re looking for the best resource to guide you through your prep journey, register for our free webinar to find out how we can help you. These reviews from our wide network of alums will give you a fair idea of how we’ve helped engineers scale up their professional careers.