Well-defined job levels are crucial to the success of a company and the employee as they establish the roles and responsibilities associated with each level along with salary bands. Software engineer interviews at Apple can be challenging to clear, and applying for an appropriate job level is essential to your success.
The average salary of a software engineer in the US is $127,499 per annum. If you are preparing for a software engineer interview at Apple, this article has all the key things you need to know about Apple's software engineer job levels.
If you are preparing for a tech interview, check out our technical interview checklist, interview questions page, and salary negotiation e-book to get interview-ready!
Having trained over 12,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Our alums consistently land offers from FAANG+ companies. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $1.267 Million!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
In this article, we’ll cover:
- Skills Needed to Be a Software Engineer at Apple
- Software Engineer Career Ladder at Apple
- What Do the Software Engineer Levels at Apple Stand for?
- Topics to Prepare for an Apple Software Engineer Interview
- FAQs on Software Engineer Job Levels at Apple
Skills Needed to Be a Software Engineer at Apple
According to Apple’s career page, they expect their software engineers to have:
- Experience with the design, development, and also maintenance of highly available, distributed, and scalable transactional enterprise systems.
- Strong software design and development skills
- Skills in OOP, data structures, algorithms, and design patterns
- Ability to use algorithms and data structures well
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and team-oriented environment
- Ability to create fault-tolerant architectures and zero downtime systems.
- Excellent debugging, problem solving, and communication skills
Are you interested in other FAANG+ companies for the software engineer role? Check out our article on:
Software Engineer Career Ladder at Apple
Let us begin by taking a look at how the career ladder for the Software Engineer role at Apple is structured:
Software engineers' salaries at Apple vary according to their level. Apple's compensation packages are kept under wraps to ensure fair pay. Learn more about the Apple Software Engineer Salary in the US here.
Are you preparing for your next software engineer interview? See if you can solve these
What Do the Software Engineer Levels at Apple Stand for?
Each Software Engineer level at Apple is granted based on the experience and skill expected from the role:
- ICT2: Usually hire new graduates at this level.
- ICT3: Software engineers with an intermediate experience level are hired at this level.
- ICT4: Three to Five years of experience in software development is necessary for this level.
- ICT5: This senior team member level is equivalent to a TL or a Staff Engineer.
- ICT6: It’s the final senior level position at Apple, equivalent to Principal Engineer or Senior Software Engineer.
Do you think you’re ready for your Apple software engineer interview? Put your preparation to the test by solving some of the interview questions here:
- Apple Software Engineer Interview Questions
- Apple Interview Questions to Crack the Technical Interview
Topics to Prepare for an Apple Software Engineer Interview
Here are some important topics to prepare for an Apple software engineer interview:
- Linked lists
- Hash Maps
- Hash Sets
- Breadth-First Search
- Depth-First Search
- Binary Search
- Merge Sort
- Divide and Conquer
- Dynamic Programming
Ready to start your interview prep? Kickstart your journey with this post: How to Prepare For Apple Software Engineer Interview.
FAQs on Software Engineer Job Levels At Apple
Q1. How much does a software engineer earn at Apple?
The salary of a software engineer at Apple depends on the software engineer's level. The average salary for ICT2 is $162k, for ICT3, it’s $219k, for ICT4, it’s $317k, and the salary increases similarly with an increase in the level.
Q2. What does ICT4 mean at Apple?
ICT4 refers to the role of a senior software engineer at Apple. This level requires three to five years of experience in software development.
Q3. Do you get bonuses at Apple?
Yes! Given the increased competition, Apple rewards its top talent with generous bonuses as high as $200,000.
Q4. How much time does it take for Apple to offer a job?
The interview process generally takes 1.5 to 2 months, depending on the role you’ve applied for.
Q5. How many stages are there in an Apple interview?
Apple interviews consist of 6-8 stages of on-site interviews that take about six hours, back-to-back, to finish.
Ready to Nail Your Next Software Engineer Interview?
Whether you’re a coding engineer gunning for a software developer or software engineer role, a tech lead, or you’re targeting management positions at top companies, IK offers courses specifically designed for your needs to help you with your technical interview preparation!
If you’re looking for guidance and help with getting started, sign up for our FREE webinar. As pioneers in technical interview preparation, we have trained thousands of software engineers to crack the most challenging coding interviews and land jobs at their dream companies, such as Google, Facebook, Apple, Netflix, Amazon, and more!
Sign up now!