Top Target Interview Questions and Answers to Practice for Your Interview
You can crack Target interview questions with the right strategy and interview techniques. To nail your tech interview, you should have in-depth knowledge about the company, know about the role and responsibilities of the position you’re applying to, and hone your behavioral skills.
Target is a one-stop shop that has everything you need. Target sells everything from vegetables to electronics, designer women's clothing, and sporting goods, all of which are high quality and reasonably priced. It is a Fortune 500 company, which is why many candidates are interested in working for it. Continue reading to learn how to answer Target interview questions.
Having trained over 10,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Our alums consistently land offers from FAANG+ companies. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $1.267 Million!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Here's what we'll discuss in the article:
- Target Interview Process for Software Engineers
- Target Technical Interview Questions
- Target Phone Interview Questions and Answers
- Target Interview Questions on Advanced System Design
- Target Behavioral Interview Questions and Answers
- FAQs on Target Interview Questions
Target Interview Process for Software Engineers
When shortlisting software engineers, Target looks for experienced candidates with lots of skills.
The first round of selection is done via a written test. So, you must prepare the basic concepts, such as data structures, networking fundamentals, DBMS, and other relevant topics to qualify for the next round. The second round is the technical interview, followed by the managerial and HR interviews.
Target Phone Interview Questions and Answers
A phone screen or interview is done to understand the interviewee’s mindset. If the interviewer interviews you over the phone, you must speak frankly and confidently while answering Target interview questions.
Here are a few Target phone interview questions and answers for your reference that you must practice to stand out from other candidates.
Q1. Tell us about yourself.
This is also one of the most asked Target interview questions. The interviewer can ask this question both offline and over the phone. The interviewer wants to know the person behind the application.
You can tell them about your work experience, qualities, training, examples of teamwork, work-related goals, and important points about yourself to show you are the right fit for the job. The interviewer will see the signs of whether you will fit in the company's work culture or not.
Read more about how to pitch yourself at a FAANG interview.
Q2. Why do you want to work at Target?
This is also one of the frequently asked Target interview questions. You can state the facts about Target and how much you are willing to work with them. You must study the job description and list down the qualities required.
You have to answer this question with respect to the job description to show the interviewer you are the perfect candidate they are looking for.
Q3. If a manager gave you two tasks, which one would you complete first?
The interviewer checks your communication skills by asking these Target interview questions. This is a question of conflict. You must answer that you will talk to the manager and seek proper instructions to avoid confusion later.
Q4. A manager gives you negative feedback. What will you do?
These types of Target job interview questions test your attitude towards team members. A positive attitude towards the workplace will help you grab the job. So, make sure you explain how you will make adjustments based on the feedback and highlight your willingness to improve.
Q5. Describe a time when you were under pressure. How did you handle it?
You should remain calm while answering this question. You have to describe your abilities to handle stressful situations with a peaceful mindset. You must state that you will prioritize your tasks, and stress will not affect you anyway. You can also give examples of situations where you’ve worked well under pressure.
Check out the best way to prepare for an interview to stand apart from the rest of the candidates.
Target Technical Interview Questions
If you are applying for the software engineer post at Target, you should know how to apply engineering principles to a product/system to ensure its efficiency and viability in the market.
You must have a thorough knowledge of computer systems to recognize hardware limitations that can impact software design. You should have experiences in the following fields to fit in the role of a Software Engineer in Target:
- Java, C++, C#, MATLAB and Python and object-oriented programming
- Technologies like SQL and .NET
- Algorithms and data structures
- Analytical and reasoning skills
- Application architecture and design patterns
- Software development
- Development in distributed/scalable systems and high-volume transaction applications
Here are a few Target Interview Questions for software engineers that you must practice:
- What’s the difference between path param & query param?
- What error do you send when a resource is unavailable from path param?
- How to differentiate from invalid path vs. resource not found if both return 404?
- How do you populate a list in C#?
- What is immutability in Java?
- What is a bucket sort algorithm? How do you use it?
- What does a spinnaker do?
Target Interview Questions on Advanced System Design
The system design interview is conducted at a later stage in which the interviewer evaluates your skills on how you will solve a real problem the company is facing. Here are a few advanced system design questions that you should prepare while preparing for Target interview questions.
- What is scalability?
- Do you know about round-robin load balancing?
- What are the advantages of REST web services?
- List down some advantages of NoSQL. How is it advantageous over traditional RDBMS?
- Define the term reliability.
- What do you understand by the term low latency interaction?
- Why is it a good idea for lower application layers not to be aware of higher ones?
- Have you heard about the KISS principle? What is it?
- State ACID properties.
- Explain SRP.
- What are DRY and DIE principles?
- What is denormalization?
- What is the partition in the CAP theorem?
- What is the difference between DTOs and ViewModels in DDD?
- Explain failure in contrast to error.
Target Behavioral Interview Questions and Answers
Target interview questions are based on how you react to a certain situation. These questions will test your situational and behavioral skills. So, you must practice situational questions to create a long-lasting impact on the interviewer. Here are a few Target behavioral-based interview questions that you must practice to land your dream job.
Q1. What do you know about Target?
It is one of the most asked Target interview questions. You should know some basic information about the company, why you want to work at Target, and your future goals. Here are a few key points to answer:
- Target was founded in 1962 in Roseville, Minnesota.
- Target now has 1900+ stores nationwide.
- It is positioned as an Upscale Discount Retailer.
- Target's motto is "Expect More, Pay Less."
- Target's store sizes vary from small Target Express to giant Super Target stores.
- Target has partnered with Starbucks for over 20 years and has 1300+ cafes in their stores.
Q2. What, according to you, is excellent service?
You have to answer this one of the most asked Target job interview questions by following up Target's motto and website. You must know that their website explains core values, company purpose, and mission statement, which is
"To help all families discover the joy of everyday life. That's our purpose. Our mission. The promise of surprises, fun, ease, and inspiration at every turn, no matter when, where, or how you shop."
You have to make sure that your answer to this question reflects your agreement with this statement.
Q3. Do you have any questions for me?
This is one of the frequently asked Target interview questions that test whether you are truly interested in working with Target or not. You can ask about the timings, availability, and other things related to the job. You can also ask the following questions:
- What do you like best about working here?
- What challenges do new hires need to overcome?
- What training opportunities are there for the current role or future roles?
- What are the qualities you think are essential for excelling in this role?
Recommended Reading: How to Prepare for Behavioral Rounds at FAANG Tech Interviews
Q4. Why did you apply for this position?
It is also one of the frequently asked Target interview questions. You need to describe the right abilities, personality, and experience that fit the job profile. You have to focus on motivation, the working environment, and how you will perform once you get the job while answering this question.
You must state your previous experiences if any, that suit the job description as this will help interviewers to assess whether you are fit for the role or not.
Q7. What do you want to improve about Target?
This is one of the trickiest Target job interview questions. You must positively answer this question without mentioning any negative aspects. If you wish to point out faults in Target, point them softly so that the interviewer understands that your behavior is positive for the company.
Sample Target Behavioral Interview Questions for Practice
You must practice the below sample Target interview questions based on behavioral and situational skills.
- State a problem you have faced in your last job, and how did you resolve it?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- Why should we hire you for this position?
- What's your greatest achievement and failure in life?
- How will you handle a conflict with another Target team member?
- What makes a good team?
- You are approached by someone to do unethical deeds. How will you react?
- What will you do if your ideas do not match the team members?
- How will you motivate yourself to do these daily routine tasks?
Practice these interview questions to prepare yourself for the Target interview. All the best!
FAQs on Target Interview Questions
Q1. How do I prepare Target interview questions?
To prepare for Target interview questions, you should have proficiency in a programming language, such as Java, C++, C#. To prepare yourself for the behavioral interview, you should also be familiar with the frequently asked behavioral interview questions.
Q2. Are the Target interview questions easy to answer?
Target will interview you over the phone, in person, or via a Zoom meeting. Target interview questions are simpler compared to those at FAANG interviews.
Q3. How to answer Target interview questions?
When answering Target interview questions, you must be confident. Your responses must demonstrate that you value the products and services they provide. You must respond to each question while keeping Target's working environment in mind. To confidently answer Target job interview questions, you should have a thorough understanding of the company.
Q4. What is asked in a system design interview in Target?
In Target system design interview questions, you’ll be asked to develop key components for a prototype system. To answer, you can create an outline of a model and then explain your approach. The interviewers might ask follow-up questions based on your technical expertise and experience.
Q5. How to crack Target Data Engineer interview questions?
You must research data cleaning, various advanced analytical tools, database software you have experience with, and other related topics to crack Target Data Engineer interview questions. To create a strong impact on the interviewer at Target, you must be well-versed in data visualization, SQL, Python, big data space experience, data warehousing, and other related technologies.
Gear Up for Your Next Technical Interview
At Interview Kickstart, we've trained thousands of engineers to land dream offers at top companies, including Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple, and Microsoft, among others.
Our team of instructors and coaches, comprising tech leads and hiring managers from FAANG and other leading tech companies, offer first-hand training on hard skills such as Data Structures and Algorithms and domain-specific subjects.
Join our free webinar to learn more about how to crack the most challenging tech interviews to land top software engineering jobs at FAANG+ companies.
We also provide invaluable career skill development programs, which focus on resume building, behavioral skills, and improving your interview performance through mock interviews.