Top Postman Interview Questions for Your Technical Interview
Postman is one of the most popular API platforms for building, designing, and testing web APIs. If you’re appearing for a software developer interview that involves creating and designing APIs, you can expect a few Postman interview questions about the application’s core features and benefits.
To give you an idea about the type of Postman interview questions asked at technical interviews, we’ve compiled a list of questions to help you with your prep. As such, API modeling is a core systems design concept, so you can typically expect Postman interview questions at systems design interviews.
Having trained over 11,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the most challenging tech interviews. Our alums consistently land offers from FAANG+ companies. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $1.267 Million!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Let’s go ahead and look at some common Postman interview questions asked at technical interviews. We’ll cover Postman API testing interview questions, Postman interview questions for experienced programmers, and some common FAQs.
Here’s what we’ll cover:
- Postman Interview Questions for Freshers
- Postman Interview Questions for Experienced Programmers
- FAQs on Postman Interview Questions
Postman Interview Questions for Freshers
Freshers aren’t really expected to know systems design concepts in detail. But at developer interviews, you can expect a few basic questions about the software application.
Let’s go ahead and look at some common Postman interview questions and answers for freshers.
Postman Interview Questions and Answers
Q1. What do you understand about collections in Postman?
Collections in Postman are groups of similar requests and essentially help to organize requests in dedicated folders.
Q2. What are some core benefits of using the Postman API platform?
This is one of the most common Postman interview questions for freshers. Some benefits of using the Postman API platform include:
- Postman is equipped to send different types of API requests (such as POST, PUT, PATCH, GET) based on the requirement.
- Postman helps to save API environments for future deployment.
- It can be integrated with other tools that are used for Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery.
- Postman helps to manage and handle the end-end API life-cycle.
- Postman offers a unique runtime service that specifically helps with managing environments, workspaces, and API collections.
Q3. Which command will you use to log values of variables in Postman?
To log variable values in the Postman console, the command that’s used is:
Q4. What are some common authorization methods associated with Postman?
Some authorization methods associated with Postman include:
- Bearer Key
- API Token
- AWS Signature
- Hawk Authentication
- Digest Authentication
- Basic Authentication
Q5. What is Basic Authorization used for in Postman?
Again, this is one of the most popular Postman interview questions asked at tech interviews. Basic authorization in Postman is an authorization technique for HTTP agents, such as web browsers.
Sample Postman Interview Questions for Freshers
Let’s look at some sample Postman interview questions for freshers.
- What do you understand by Digest Authorization in Postman?
- What are some limitations of Postman?
- What do you understand about the Postman Monitor?
- What are Query Params in Postman?
- What are Path variables in Postman?
- How do you save API responses to a file?
- What do you understand about the 301 Status code?
- Which are the API requests that are supported by Postman?
- How do you access specific variables in Postman?
- What do you understand about the term environment in Postman?
Postman Interview Questions for Experienced Programmers and Developers
Experienced programmers generally go through multiple systems design rounds at technical interviews. This means that there is a greater emphasis on API modeling and API design for senior or experienced programmers. To help you understand what type of Postman interview questions are asked for experienced developers, we’ve compiled this list of the most common questions to expect.
This section covers Postman API testing interview questions and Postman rest API interview questions, among other core concepts pertaining to the software application. Let’s take a look.
- What do you understand about the 304 status code in Postman?
- Explain the different variable scopes in Postman
- Explain the different Request methods associated with Postman
- What is the use of GUID in Postman?
- Explain the process of writing test cases with basic auth in Postman
- Explain workspaces in Postman.
- What is the Pre-request script in Postman?
- What is a Scratch Pad in Postman? Why is it used?
- Explain how to generate random numbers within a given range in Postman
- How do you view Response and Request logs in Postman?
- What are the primary components of an HTTP response?
- What is Status Code 201 in Postman?
- What command will you use to halt execution requests in Postman?
- Explain some common Status codes in Postman.
These Postman interview questions for freshers and experienced programmers will give you a clear idea of what to expect at your next technical interview.
FAQs on Postman Interview Questions
Q1. What is Postman?
Q2. What are the core concepts around which Postman interview questions are asked at technical interviews?
Postman interview questions asked at technical interviews are typically around rest APIs, API testing using Postman, API design, authorization techniques, status codes, and commands.
Q3. Are Postman interview questions asked at software developer interviews?
Yes, Postman interview questions are asked at systems design rounds of software engineering interviews as Postman is a widely used software application to build and design APIs.
Q4. In what language is Postman written and developed?
Q5. What are some popular tools (aside from Postman) used for API testing?
Some tools used for API testing include - SoapUI, Apigee, Katalon Studio, and Jmeter.
Gear Up for Your Next Technical Interview
Are you getting ready for your upcoming technical interview? Register for our technical interview webinar to get the best guidance and insight from highly experienced professionals on how to crack tough technical interviews and land high-paying offers from the biggest companies.
At Interview Kickstart, we’ve trained thousands of engineers to land lucrative offers at the biggest tech companies. Our instructors, who are FAANG hiring managers, know what it takes to nail tough tech interviews at top technology companies.
Register for our FREE webinar to learn more.