Top iOS Interview Questions and Answers You Should Prepare
Wouldn't it be great for your iOS interview preparation if you knew what kind of iOS questions to expect? iOS was created and optimized solely for Apple hardware. Before your Apple interview, you should strive to have a thorough understanding of iOS. This article will go over some iOS interview questions and answers for both new and experienced developers to help you prepare for your interview.
If you are preparing for a tech interview, check out our technical interview checklist, interview questions page, and salary negotiation ebook to get interview-ready! Also, read Amazon Coding Interview Questions, Facebook Coding Interview Questions to Nail Your Next Interview, and Google Coding Interview Questions for specific insights and guidance on Coding interview preparation.
Having trained over 9,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the most challenging tech interviews. Since 2014, Interview Kickstart alums have landed lucrative offers from FAANG and Tier-1 tech companies, with an average salary hike of 49%. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $933,000!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
In this article, we’ll learn:
- iOS Development Interview Questions and Answers for Experienced Developers
- Advanced iOS Interview Questions and Answers
- Frequently Asked iOS Interview Questions
- Sample Apple iOS Interview Questions for Practice
- FAQs on iOS Interview Questions
iOS Development Interview Questions and Answers for Experienced Developers
Q1: Which programming languages are used for iOS development?
Q2: What are some of the features of iOS?
Apple iOS includes Bluetooth, cellular connectivity, gesture recognition support, VPN support, integrated tech support, and Wi-Fi.
Q3: Is Swift iOS easy to learn?
Yes, even as someone new to programming, you’ll find Swift easy as Apple designed it, so it can be the first programming language people learn. Swift also has a simple and easy-to-understand expressive syntax that makes it easy to understand.
Q4: What are the main functions of iOS?
The main functions of iOS include texting, searching the web, providing social gaming networks, and calling people.
Q5: Why is Swift useful?
Swift fosters interactivity in development as a modern, easy to learn, fast, and safe language. Features like closures, generics, and type inference make Swift easier to use and simplify common patterns used in Objective-C.
Advanced iOS Interview Questions and Answers
Q1: What are some iOS design patterns?
Three main types of iOS design patterns include:
- Creational Design Pattern (Singleton Pattern)
- Structural Design Pattern (Decorator Pattern, Adapter Pattern, and Facade Pattern)
Behavioral Design Pattern (Observer Pattern and Memento Pattern)
Q2: Name some crucial features of Swift.
Some critical features of Swift include safety, readability, simple syntax, multiplatform support, open-source, and compatibility with Objective C.
Q3: Define dictionary in Swift.
A dictionary in Swift is an unordered collection of items where the items are stored in key-value pairs. Here, a key is a unique identifier used to store a value associated with it. This key can be used to later reference and retrieve the value using that same unique key associated with the value.
Q4: What is SpriteKit in game development?
SpriteKit is a framework designed to create animated 2D assets/objects in games made more easily and quickly. We can use it for drawing shapes, text, images, particles, and videos in 2D.
Q5: Differentiate between KVC and KVO in Swift.
Frequently Asked iOS Interview Questions
Here are some frequently asked Apple iOS interview questions you should be able to answer before your iOS interview:
- Explain the following:
- iOS Architecture
- Core OS/Application Layer
- Service Layer
- Media Layer
- Cocoa Touch Layer
- Deep linking
- What do you understand about the term iOS developer? Describe their responsibilities.
- What framework is used to build an iOS application's interface?
- Name and describe some of the most significant data types in Objective-C.
- Using what ways can you achieve concurrency in iOS?
- Describe all the different types of iOS Application states.
Sample Apple iOS Interview Questions for Practice
Practice these Apple iOS interview questions for fresher and experienced developers to help you prepare for your interview:
iOS Developer Interview Questions
- Describe the following in iOS along with their usage:
- NSError in Swift
- Important features of Swift
- Enum or Enumerations in Swift
- Lazy property
- One-sided ranges
- Swift’s Result type
- Type erasure
- Size classes
- Phantom types
- Property observers
- Raw strings
- Operator overloading
- Keyword guard
- Keyword defer
- Autorelease pool
- Layer objects
- Multi-pattern catch clauses
- Dynamic type
- App transport security
- UIKit segues
- Variadic function
- Cocoa Touch
- What features of the newer iOS versions do you love the most?
- Using some examples, state where may singletons be a good idea?
- What may be technically happening when we say: The app is not in a running state?
- Which JSON framework does iOS support?
Apple iOS Advanced Interview Questions
- How would you:
- Create UI layouts
- Add a shadow to one of the views
- Round the corners of one of the views
- Differentiate between:
- A value and a reference type
- Weak and unowned
- Escaping and non-escaping closure
- Extension and protocol extension
- Self and self
- appID and bundleID
- Cocoa and Cocoa Touch
- SpriteKit and SceneKit
- Atomic and nonatomic properties
- Android and iOS
- Assign and retain keywords
- Describe the pros and cons of SwiftUI when compared with UIKit.
- According to you, what is a realistic minimum iOS deployment target?
- What settings would you store in your info.plist file?
- What will happen if Color or UIColor has values other than 0 to 1?
- Explain the following statement: Strings are collections in Swift.
FAQs on iOS Interview Questions
Q1. What is an iOS application, and where does your code fit into it?
Generally, an iOS application is just blocks of code and a large run loop. It waits for the user’s input and gets interrupted by external events like push notifications, phone calls, button presses, home gestures, and other app life cycle events.
Q2. Why is Swift faster than Objective C?
Swift has removed some limitations of C and has been enhanced using advanced software development technology that was unavailable during the development of C. Swift was designed by Apple to operate faster, and it does.
Q3. What is the full form of iOS?
iOS, formerly known as iPhone OS, is a mobile OS created and developed by Apple Inc. exclusively for Apple’s hardware.
Q4. What are the advantages of iOS?
iOS is easy to use, has a simple interface, even after many version upgrades. It uses the battery efficiently and generates less heat. It makes good use of Google maps and is document-friendly. Multitasking is also conveniently possible.
Q5. How long will an iOS app run in the background?
iOS 7 onwards, apps can get up to three minutes of background running time. The max running time can be reduced in future iOS updates.
Ready to Nail Your Next Coding Interview?
Whether you’re a coding engineer gunning for a software developer or software engineer role, a tech lead, or you’re targeting management positions at top companies, IK offers courses specifically designed for your needs to help you with your technical interview preparation!
If you’re looking for guidance and help with getting started, sign up for our FREE webinar. As pioneers in the field of technical interview preparation, we have trained thousands of software engineers to crack the toughest coding interviews and land jobs at their dream companies, such as Google, Facebook, Apple, Netflix, Amazon, and more!