One of the first in the industry to offer cloud and virtualization solutions to businesses, VMware is always on the lookout for top talent to up its game. To get only the best engineers, they have designed a VMware interview process that extensively tests each candidate.
VMware engineers utilize the company’s software to virtualize the Windows servers and connect them to the network and clouds. If you clear the VMware interview process, you’ll also be designing and implementing VMware solutions, among other things.
If you are preparing for a tech interview, check out our technical interview checklist, interview questions page, and salary negotiation e-book to get interview-ready!
Having trained over 11,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the most challenging tech interviews. Our alums consistently land offers from FAANG+ companies. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $1.267 Million!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
In this article, we’ve simplified the VMware interview process for your better understanding. We’ll be covering:
- About VMware
- Eligibility criteria for a VMware engineer
- Responsibilities of a VMware engineer
- VMware interview process for a software engineer
- FAQs on the VMware interview process
Since its inception in 1988, VMware has seen phenomenal growth. The company began making waves in the 90s due to its innovations in virtualization architecture, right up to an acquisition by EMC in the year 2004.
The company had developed a valuable presence in data centers, cloud management, as well as several other services owing to its diverse range of products. It’s headquartered in the US and has branches in 22 other countries.
Eligibility Criteria for a VMware Engineer
For the recruitment team to select your resume for the VMware interview process, you’ll need to have the following qualifications and skills:
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science, IT, computer programming, or a related field.
- VMWare Certified Professional (VCP) is given preference.
- At least 2 years of experience as a software engineer.
- Knowledge of VMware-associated programs and programming languages such as Windows Server, MS IIS, SAN architecture, WebSphere, Citrix, Python, and C++.
- In-depth knowledge of the basics of VMware ESX and related technologies.
- Great communication skills.
- Exceptional analytical and technical aptitude.
- Good time management, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Team player.
VMware Interview Process for a Software Engineer
The VMware interview process can be broadly divided into two sections:
- Screening rounds
- On-site rounds
Screening Rounds of the VMware Interview Process
You can expect three different rounds of interviews before the on-site interviews:
- Prescreen with a recruiter: After the hiring team shortlists your resume, a recruiter will reach out to you and explain the VMware interview process. This will be a 30-minute long call.
- Technical screen with a hiring manager: In this round, be prepared to answer questions based on the projects you’ve worked on. Don’t forget to brush up on your computer science fundamentals as well.
- Online coding challenge: The coding challenge will be carried out using the HackerRank platform. To give your best, ensure that you brush up on your data structures and algorithms. You’ll be given just one hour to finish the challenge.
Onsite Rounds of the VMware Interview Process
This part of the VMware interview process is divided into three sections:
- Coding (4 rounds): There can be around 4 technical rounds that will be focusing on coding questions (such as data structure and algorithm questions).
- Managerial round: This interview round will be all about diving into your past projects and work experience. Further, the areas of development you’re interested in will also be discussed so that you can get a better understanding of your role.
- HR round: The final stage of the VMware interview process. Make sure to read up on the company’s core values and mission because a lot of questions will be based on these.
After you’re done with all these rounds, you can expect it to take another week or two before you receive the offer. Some articles that can help you in preparation for the VMware interview process:
Responsibilities of a VMware Engineer
After clearing the VMware interview process for a software engineer, your responsibilities will include:
- Decide what the business needs and evaluate the existing network infrastructure and systems.
- Optimize the network hardware and software to allow VMware integration.
- Build and implement customized VMware solutions.
- Define multiple virtual servers on a single host machine.
- Design and implement virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) and enable template management.
- Carry out the virtualization of Windows servers and connect them to networks and clouds.
- Install operating systems as well as servers, security patches, and bug fixes.
- Troubleshoot and resolve VMware environment problems.
- Give technical support and keep detailed records of VMware processes.
- Stay updated about the developments in VMware technologies and products.
FAQs on the VMware Interview Process
Some commonly asked questions on the VMware interview process are:
- How many rounds are there in the VMware interview process?
The VMware interview process has been divided into two sections — screening rounds (phone screen, technical screen, and coding challenge) and on-site rounds (4 coding rounds, 1 managerial round, and 1 HR round).
- Is the VMware interview hard?
Based on the reviews provided by users about the interview experience on Glassdoor, 62% gave a positive response. The difficulty level was rated 3.03 out of 5 (5 being most difficult).
- How to get hired by VMware?
You can take the help of the company's referral system. Or, if you don’t know anyone in the company, just apply like you usually do. Remember to brush up on your computer science fundamentals as well as coding skills.
- Does VMware pay well?
VMware software engineers’ average base salary is $$1,33,250 per year (Glassdoor.com).
- What degree is required to become an engineer at VMware?
To become an engineer at VMware, you’ll need to have a bachelor’s degree in computer science, IT, computer programming, or a related field.
We Can Help You Crack the VMware Tech Interview
If you're looking for guidance on how to prep for the VMware interview process for software engineers, then sign up for our free webinar.
Interview Kickstart offers interview preparation courses taught by FAANG tech leads and seasoned hiring managers. We have trained thousands of software engineers to crack the toughest interviews at Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix, and other top tech companies.
Register for our FREE webinar to learn more!