A software architect is responsible for high-level design decisions as well as the development of technical standards. This could include tools, coding standards for software, or platforms to be used. To make good decisions, a software architect must have broad technical knowledge.
The Software architect is one of the most demanding jobs in the tech industry. They receive lucrative compensation too. A software architect’s salary in the US is around $132,552 per year, with a cash bonus of approximately $10,000. As tempting as it seems, the role of a software architect is very challenging.
This article has all the necessary details about software architect salary. It also includes how you can prepare for your next technical interview.
Having trained over 10,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Our alums consistently land offers from FAANG+ companies. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $1.267 Million!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
This article includes the following sections:
- Roles and Responsibilities of Software Architect
- Software Architect Salary by Location
- Software Architect Salary by Level
- Skills and Qualifications Required to Become a Software Architect
- Sample Software Architect Interview Questions for Preparation
- FAQs on Software Architect Salary
Roles and Responsibilities of a Software Architect
A software architect is responsible for:
- Envisioning the design and checking the solutions' programming, testing, and deployment process.
- Mentoring junior developers.
- Providing leadership to support Business Analysts, Project Managers, and other Developers.
- Recommending necessary tools and technologies required for the development of scalable software solutions.
- Establishing guidelines for coding and project practices.
- Validating solutions and analyzing customer feedback.
- Providing ticket support and creating software documentation.
- Thoroughly checking the project code by ensuring the quality.
Software Architect Salary by Location
The profile of a software architect is very demanding. However, software architect salaries can vary from location to seniority levels. Here's a list of the highest paying cities for Software Architects in the United States.
Software Architect Salary by Level
An entry-level software architect will have a lesser salary as compared to a chief software architect. Here is a list of software architect salaries as per their levels:
Skills and Qualifications Required to Become a Software Architect
Software architects use their imagination to conceptualize designs and develop customized software. Thus having a creative mind is a plus!
For building a career as a software architect, it is a must to have a bachelor’s degree, preferably in a computer science background. In addition to it, doing a certification course on any related subject is helpful. If you have a masters' degree, you can apply for a senior software architect position.
Additional skills required for a software architect are as follows:
- Management skills
- Leadership skills
- Ability to learn new things
- Understanding all the relevant skills and concepts
- In-depth knowledge of SPI
- Knowledge of software technologies and architectures
- Expertise in methodologies and frameworks like Scrum, XP, and RUP
- Working knowledge of SAMIL, OWASP, RESTFUL and end-user protocols
Sample Software Architect Interview Questions for Preparation
You can be in a fair position to negotiate your software architect salary if you nail your tech interview and impress your interviewer. To do this, you should have done a robust preparation. These questions will help you prepare for your tech interview so that you bag your dream job.
Q1. Describe the software development process in brief.
Software development is a series of work composed of these stages:
- Requirement analysis
- Software architecture
- Training and support
Q2. What is debugging?
The process of removal of the error is called debugging. It is one of the major parts of testing.
Q3. What is software scope?
A defined boundary including all activities required to develop and deliver a software product is called software scope. It defines all the functions and artifacts that need to be delivered as a part of the software. In addition, software scope identifies the purpose of the product and project estimation.
Q4. How to determine the size of a software product?
The size of software can be determined by using two methods:
- By counting the lines of delivered code
- By counting the delivered function points
Q5. What is software configuration management?
The process of tracking and controlling changes in software is termed "software configuration management."
Here are some of the game-changer questions you must check for a quick interview prep!
- Which design pattern do you use the most?
- In which programming language are you proficient?
- How will you explain technical information to a non-technical audience?
- What must you consider while writing your database server?
- Which was the last project you worked on?
- Describe a problematic bug you fixed recently.
- What project management tools have you used?
- Tell about your mistakes and what you have learned from them.
- What motivated you to choose this stream?
- Do you like working on a team or prefer working alone?
The basis for software architect salary increment also depends upon your skill sets. Recruiters primarily choose candidates who possess added skills and stand out from the rest of the applicants.
FAQs on Software Architect Salary
Q1. Are software architects always in demand?
With new technologies emerging daily, software architects are always needed. According to a study in 2020 by Indeed, software architect was considered the best job.
Q2. How much money can a software architect make?
On average, a software architect’s salary is $132,552 per year. The salary can range from $124,850 to $153,104, depending on your location, level of education or certification, and experience.
Q3. Which are the most important programming languages for a software architect?
Some important programming languages for a software architect are C, C++, C#, Python, Java, Processing, Ruby, and more.
Q4. How do I prepare for a software architect interview?
You can prepare for your interview by following these steps: research the company, check if your skills match the requirements, showcase your achievements, prepare a probable set of questions and practice answering them, and be confident.
Gear Up for Your Next Tech Interview
Are you getting ready for an upcoming software architect interview? Register for our technical interview webinar.
At Interview Kickstart, we’ve trained over 10,000 engineers to land lucrative offers at the biggest tech companies. Our instructors, who are FAANG hiring managers, know what it takes to nail tough tech interviews at top technology companies.
Register for our FREE webinar to learn more.