Senior software engineer jobs at Google are highly coveted for many reasons. Firstly, you get to work at Google, spearheading futuristic technological transformations and improving lives all over the world. Google insists that it is, and always will be, an engineering company that thinks big and takes risks, and you get to drive this ideology forward. Secondly, working at Google comes with an abundance of perks and benefits centered around ensuring that you and your family lead a well-rounded life!
If you’re looking to boost your senior software engineer career with a job at one of the top tech companies, you need to be prepared. Check out our technical interview checklist, interview questions page, and salary negotiation e-book to get interview-ready! Also, read How Hard Is It to Get a Job at Google? and How to Get Software Engineering Jobs at Google? for specific insights and guidance on senior software engineer tech interviews.
Having trained over 9,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Since 2014, Interview Kickstart alums have been landing lucrative offers from FAANG and Tier-1 tech companies, with an average salary hike of 49%. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $933,000!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
In this article, we will discuss:
- Levels of software engineers at Google
- Role of a Google senior software engineer
- Google senior software engineer salary in the US
- Benefits of working as a Google senior software engineer
- Senior software engineer salaries: Comparison by location
- How to negotiate a salary at Google?
- FAQs on Google senior software engineer salary
Levels of Software Engineers at Google
The levels of software engineers at Google are:
- L3: Software engineer II (0-1 year of experience)
- L4: Software engineer III (2+ years of experience)
- L5: Senior software engineer (manager I equivalent)
- L6: Staff software engineer (manager II equivalent)
- L7: Senior staff software engineer (senior manager)
- L8: Principal engineer (director)
- L9: Distinguished engineer (senior director)
- L10: Google fellow (vice president)
- L11: Senior Google fellow (senior vice president)
Role of a Google Senior Software Engineer
Google looks for engineers who can bring fresh ideas from all functions, including distributed computing, information retrieval, large-scale system design, networking and data storage, artificial intelligence, security, natural language processing, and UI design.
Google needs its engineers to be versatile, enthusiastic about taking on new problems across the full stack, and display leadership qualities. The key roles and responsibilities of a Google senior software engineer are:
- Designing, developing, testing, deploying, maintaining, and improving the software.
- Managing individual project priorities, deliverables, and deadlines.
- Focusing on overall product quality and user experience.
- Taking the initiative and being responsible for technical solutions for workflow and data quality challenges.
Have doubts about the role of a senior software engineer at Google? Talk to experts at Interview Kickstart today! Register here for our FREE Webinar.
Google Senior Software Engineer Salary in the U.S.
According to Comparably, the average base salary of a senior software engineer at Google is $154,742 per year. This amount is paid to the engineer irrespective of their or the company’s performance.
The average bonus offered is $41,826 per annum. Bonuses are linked to an engineer's performance and are determined based on performance review. The equity offered to Google senior software engineers is up to $150,000 per year.
The total average compensation of a Google senior software engineer is $196,568 per year, which is $59,459 more than the national average.
Want to negotiate a higher salary package? Experts and ex-recruiters from FAANG+ companies at Interview Kickstart will teach you how to leverage your skills to up your negotiating power. Sign up for Interview Kickstart’s FREE webinar to learn more!
Benefits of Working as a Google Senior Software Engineer
Salaries for more senior roles increase with seniority, as do the associated benefits. Here are some benefits offered to Google senior software engineers in addition to the compensation:
- 401K plan
- Insurance — health, dental, vision, disability, and life
- Paid breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Health savings account
- Transportation within and to the Google campus
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Paid vacations
- Flexible spending account
- Employee discounts
Senior Software Engineer Salaries: Comparison by Location
Here are the top-paying cities in the US for a senior software engineer (average salary per year):
How to Negotiate a Salary at Google?
Here are some points to remember while negotiating a senior software engineer salary at Google:
- You are not obligated to share the compensation you are currently receiving.
- Build your case by being aware of your strengths, skills, and the value you bring to the role and the company you are interviewing for.
- Familiarize yourself with the company’s and industry’s salary trends.
- Remember to factor in the perks and benefits.
- You don’t necessarily have to share the compensation you are expecting.
- Build a good relationship with the hiring manager.
- Do not insist on receiving written offers.
- Remember to ask for a relocation package.
- There is a lot of publicly available compensation data. Compare the offer you have received before agreeing to anything.
Read The Ultimate Guide to Salary Negotiation at FAANG for Software Engineers to hone your negotiation skills and get an offer that matches your value.
FAQs on Google Senior Software Engineer Salary
Q. What is the average Google senior software engineer salary?
The senior staff software engineer salary Google offers is $154,742 per year.
Q. How does the average salary of a senior software engineer role differ in Seattle compared to New York City?
The average Google senior software engineer salary Seattle offers is $140,621 per year, while it is $129,475 per year in New York.
Q. How does the average Google senior software development engineer salary differ from the national US average?
The salary of a senior software development engineer at Google is $154,742 per year, while the average salary in the US for a senior software developer is $124,818 per year.
How to Crack Your Upcoming Senior Software Engineer Interview
Whether you are a senior software engineer, software engineer, coding engineer, software developer, or engineering manager who wants to work at a FAANG+ company, you need to have a solid tech interview prep plan. It takes the right guidance and some smart decisions to get a job at a Tier-1 tech company.
Register for Interview Kickstart’s FREE webinar to understand the best way to prepare for software engineer interviews at the top companies.
IK is the gold standard in tech interview prep. Our programs include a comprehensive curriculum, unmatched teaching methods, FAANG+ instructors, and career coaching to help you nail your next tech interview.
We’ve trained thousands of engineers to land dream offers at the biggest companies, including Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Microsoft, and Netflix.