The average Facebook software engineer salary in the US stands at about $113,835 per year while senior software engineers at Facebook make $200,812. Add to this the handsome equity and bonus components, and top-notch employee perks and benefits, and you find that the average Facebook software engineer salary offered is one of the most competitive in the tech job market.
But, why is the average Facebook software engineer salary so high? Facebook’s software engineering teams are the driving force behind Facebook’s applications and services and the reason Facebook is one the most powerful tech companies in the world. Software engineers at Facebook work on infrastructure, products, and systems built on cutting-edge technology. This is why Facebook employs only the best talent and compensates them likewise.
Having trained over 10,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Our alums consistently land offers from FAANG+ companies. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $1.267 Million!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
In this article, we’ll look at the Facebook software engineer salaries by level and location. You can learn some noteworthy tips to help you negotiate your compensation package. We’ll also discuss the perks and benefits a software engineer enjoys at Facebook.
Here’s what we’ll cover in this article:
- Levels of Software Engineers at Facebook
- Roles and Responsibilities of a Facebook Senior Software Engineer
- Facebook Software Engineer Salary
- Facebook Senior Software Engineer Salary
- Employee Benefits Given to Facebook Senior Software Engineers
- Tips to Negotiate Facebook Senior Software Engineer Salary
- FAQs on Software Engineer Salary
Levels of Software Engineers at Facebook
Irrespective of the team or role you are applying for, the levels of software engineers at Facebook remains the same:
- E3 (entry-level)
- E5 (equivalent to a senior software engineer, but not an official title at Facebook)
Unlike Google and other tech companies, Facebook refrains from titles such as Fellow or Principal Engineer. Facebook has a separate hierarchy for managerial positions.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Facebook Senior Software Engineer
Facebook software engineers are responsible for developing, improving, and maintaining software, applications, and support systems across Facebook’s suite of apps and software - from Facebook to WhatsApp, Instagram, and more. Software engineers at Facebook often specialize in a specific function or application of software, such as Android, virtual reality, or cryptocurrency. Facebook engineers are at the core of innovation.
The main roles and responsibilities of a Facebook senior software engineer are:
- Solving unique technical problems that very few people can handle.
- Using their vast knowledge to tackle problems on a timeline and to work across functions efficiently.
- Solving problems and creating solutions frameworks that help other teams of the company better and faster.
- Creating an action plan for the year, comprising short-term projects and long-term organizational vision.
- Bringing new products and features to the market and maintaining the stability and performance of existing systems.
Prior to the interview, you should familiarize yourself with the roles and responsibilities of your position. It aids in your interview preparation and gives the proper impression to your interviewer. Being well-prepared and informed can help you negotiate a higher Facebook software engineer salary.
Facebook Software Engineer Salary
As mentioned, the average Facebook software engineer salary is among the highest in the world. Going by Glassdoor data, we learn that a software engineer’s salaries at Facebook range from $70,000 - $200,000 (base pay).
There are various factors that determine Facebook software engineer salary figures:
- Levels: The software engineer career ladder at Facebook is divided into multiple levels with defined responsibilities and requirements. Each level has a preset salary band — a range of salaries with a fixed upper and lower limit that can be offered to a software engineer at a particular level. The higher the level, the higher the salary band.
- Skills and Experience: Software engineers with advanced technical expertise and experience are compensated higher than the average Facebook software engineer salary.
- Offer Negotiation: The salary offered to software engineers at Facebook also depends on how well they negotiate their pay during the hiring process. Skilled negotiation can land software engineers at the top of the salary band at their designated level.
- Demand-Supply Dynamics: There is a shortage of skilled software engineers due to which tech companies try to lure talent by paying salary premiums. The average Facebook software engineer salary is determined at levels that attract top engineering talent that can enable Facebook to maintain its leadership position in the tech industry.
- Location: The average Facebook software engineer salary paid out also depends on the job location given the varying cost of living figures between cities.
Recommended Reading: What NOT to Do During Salary Negotiation
Facebook Software Engineer Salary By Level
The average annual Facebook software engineer salary, ranked by level, is given below:
Facebook Software Engineer Salary by Location
Below is the average Facebook software engineer salary across different high-paying Facebook office locations in the US:
Facebook Senior Software Engineer Salary
Facebook is known to compensate its employees fairly. According to comparably.com, the Facebook senior software engineer salary is one of the best in the industry at $200,812. This figure comprises base pay of $167,473 and a bonus amount of $33,333.
Before we look at the average salary of a senior software engineer at Facebook, let’s first find out what that compensation comprises. The following are the salary components in a senior software engineer’s salary at Facebook:
- The Base Component: This amount indicates the fixed component of your salary and is paid to you irrespective of your (or the company’s) performance.
- Cash Bonus: This variable component is tied to your annual performance and is paid out annually if your performance is up to standard. It usually varies for engineers even in the same salary band.
- Stock Options: These are Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) issued to employees. Once vested, they can be freely traded.
The average annual Facebook senior software engineer salary at different levels and roles is given below:
Facebook Senior Software Engineer Salary by Location
Below is the average Facebook senior software engineer salary across different high-paying Facebook office locations in the US:
Employee Benefits Given to Facebook Senior Software Engineers
In addition to the attractive Facebook software engineer salary, here are some other benefits offered to Facebook senior software engineers:
- Complete health insurance coverage
- Dental plan
- Vision plan
- Dependent care FSA
- Healthcare FSA
- Cancer care program
- Fertility coverage
- Maternity benefits and paid paternity leave
- Mental health coverage
- Transgender coverage
- Wellness centers
- Paid leave for new parents
- Support for family planning, adoption and surrogacy assistance, and baby cash to help with newborn expenses
- Flexible spending account for dependent care
- Competitive retirement plan
- Life insurance and survivor support
- Equity awards
- Complimentary access to TurboTax
- On-site or video tax consultations to answer your questions
- Legal support
- Life@ Club: A unique program that supports building meaningful connections at Facebook.
- Opportunity to join a Facebook Resource Group and be a catalyst for ensuring a fully inclusive and open environment that provides opportunities for everyone.
Tips to Negotiate Facebook Senior Software Engineer Salary
Here are some points that will help you negotiate a higher Facebook software engineer salary package:
- Build your case by being aware of your strengths, skills, and the value you bring to the role and the company you are interviewing for.
- Build a good relationship with the hiring manager.
- Remember to factor in the perks and benefits.
- Familiarize yourself with the company standards as well as the industry average.
- Remember that you are not obligated to share the compensation you are currently receiving.
- Read The Ultimate Guide to Salary Negotiation at FAANG for Software Engineers to hone your negotiation skills and get an offer that matches your value.
- You don’t necessarily have to share the compensation you are expecting.
- Do not insist on receiving written offers.
- Remember to ask for a relocation package.
- There is a lot of publicly available data on compensation. Compare those with the offer you have received before agreeing to anything.
FAQs on Facebook Senior Software Engineer Salary
Q1. How much do software engineers at Facebook make?
According to Glassdoor, the average annual Facebook software engineer salary is $113,835 per year while senior software engineers at Facebook make $200,812.
Q2. What is the average Facebook software engineer salary in New York?
According to Glassdoor, the average annual Facebook software engineer salary in New York is $102,630 and the average annual Facebook senior software engineer salary in New York is $200,973.
Q3. What is the average entry-level Facebook software engineer salary?
According to information on Levels.fyi, the base average annual salary for a software engineer at Level E3 or entry-level at Facebook is $128,000.
Q4. What is the average Level 5 Facebook software engineer salary?
According to information on Levels.fyi, software engineer levels at Facebook range from E3 to E8. The average base salary software engineers earn at level E5 is $201,000
Q5. Is the average Facebook software engineer salary, in London, UK lower than in the US?
The average Facebook software engineer salary (base pay) in the UK at level E5 is $143,500 vs. $201,000 in the US.
Get Ready for Your Upcoming Senior Software Engineer Interview
Think you deserve a higher salary package? Tech leads and hiring managers from FAANG+ companies at Interview Kickstart can show you how to leverage your skills to up your negotiating power.
Every senior software engineer, software engineer, coding engineer, software developer, and engineering manager who wants to work at a FAANG+ company must undergo a rigorous recruitment process. It takes the right guidance and some smart decisions to get a job at a Tier-1 tech company.
To understand the best way to prepare for senior software engineer interviews at the biggest companies, register for Interview Kickstart’s FREE webinar now!