DIRECTV software engineer salary stands out compared to other top tech companies. The salary varies for various software engineering positions depending on the education, certifications, experience level, and employee value. DIRECTV offers an average software engineer salary in the range of $53,443 to $172,500 per annum in the US.
DIRECTV is a leading multi-channel video streaming distributor in the US. As a software engineer, you must demonstrate advanced technical skills to help DIRECTV connect the world through cutting-edge technologies. If you're aspiring for a career in software engineering at DIRECTV, you must thoroughly understand all the job demands, the eligibility criteria, and the various factors that influence your DIRECTV software engineer salary.
This article will discuss the DIRECTV software engineer salary package in addition to roles and responsibilities, key skills, and eligibility criteria.
Having trained over 10,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Our alums consistently land offers from FAANG+ companies. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $1.267 Million!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
Here's what we'll cover:
- What Does a DIRECTV Software Engineer Do?
- What Makes You Eligible for a DIRECTV Software Engineer Position?
- DIRECTV Software Engineer Salary
- Average DIRECTV Software Engineer Salary by Levels
- DIRECTV Software Engineer Salary by Location
- Top Skills That Can Elevate Your DIRECTV Software Engineer Salary
- Benefits of Working at DIRECTV as a Software Engineer
- FAQs on DIRECTV Software Engineer Salary
What Does a DIRECTV Software Engineer Do?
If you are applying for a software engineer role at DIRECTV, your role involves transforming the video streaming process and products with innovative technical support and coordinating with other teams responsible for various layers of the products. You will have to work with the best software tools and the most flexible deployment options. As a software engineer at DIRECTV, you should be prepared to deliver the following roles and responsibilities seamlessly.
- You will work with REST, SOAP, and GraphQL web services.
- You should be adept in advancing the Tablet, OTT STB, and Mobile applications on iOS/tvOS, AndroidTV, Android, FireTV, Roku, and Web-based platforms.
- At senior software engineer positions, you will be involved in designing and developing tools that help enhance customer engagement.
- You will use SQL relational and non-relational database technologies to interact with data.
- DIRECTV software engineering positions require integrating components using networking protocols and creating observability with performance visualization and metrics.
The exact role and responsibilities will depend on the position you are applying for. So, you must read the job description very carefully to understand the duties entrusted to you thoroughly.
What Makes You Eligible for a DIRECTV Software Engineer Position?
DIRECTV hires skilled software engineers who can collaborate, adapt to change, and thrive in a fast-paced environment. You can get the exact eligibility criteria from the official job description. The following eligibility criteria are vital to secure a software engineer position and earn a good DIRECTV software engineer salary.
- You must have a bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering, Information Technology, Computer Science, Math, Applied Science, or Electrical Engineering with no running backlogs.
- You should also have at least 1- 2 years of experience in a relevant field.
- You must possess strong fundamentals in video streaming.
- As a software engineer, you should be an expert in coding and programming.
You might require relevant site reliability engineering certifications such as CDP, CDE, CDA, CDD for certain software engineering positions such as Application Product Support Engineer. Read on to discover the annual salary and the top skills to uplevel your software engineer salary at DIRECTV.
DIRECTV Software Engineer Salary
The average DIRECTV Software Engineer salary is $109,334 annually (Source: comparably.com). The total compensation can be broken down as follows:
- Avg. base salary: $98,895
- Avg. bonus: $10,439
The DIRECTV software engineer salary is $2,190 more than the average salary of a software engineer in the US.
If you bag the senior software engineer position at DIRECTV, your salary can range from $78,000 - $282,000. The average DIRECTV senior software engineer salary is $148,720 per year. The total compensation for this position can be represented as follows:
- Avg. base salary: $129,306
- Avg. bonus: $19,414
The DIRECTV's senior software engineer salary is $11,597 more than a senior software engineer's average salary in the US.
Average DIRECTV Software Engineer Salary by Level
The hierarchy levels at DIRECTV vary based on experience and roles, where each level comprises several positions as listed in the table below. This hierarchy system justifies the total compensation at each level and ensures that the software engineers employed at the same level earn a comparable salary. The levels of software engineers at DIRECTV are as follows:
- Associate/First Level Manager
- Senior Associate/Second Level Manager
- Group Engineering Manager
You can check out the following table to compare DIRECTV software engineer salaries for various positions:
DIRECTV Software Engineer Salary by Location
Several factors can impact your salary, including your education and experience, the company's location, your position, and the skill-set you bring to the position. Your DIRECTV software engineer salary will depend on the location of the company office you are working for. The average DIRECTV software engineer salary for various cities in the US as per salaries reported by employees on payscale is as follows:
- The average DIRECTV software engineer base salary in Los Angeles is $81,472 per year. You can also earn an additional bonus of $8k as a software engineer in DIRECTV.
- In El Segundo, California, the average salary is $72,414 annually.
Top Skills That Can Elevate Your DIRECTV Software Engineer Salary
Your DIRECTV software engineer salary is related to your technical and soft skills. These abilities can help you negotiate and win lucrative offers at DIRECTV.
- Expertise in Swift, Java, JS (including Node and React), Golang, Python, and C/C++
- Familiarity with scripting languages such as Shell, Groovy, Perl
- A systems-oriented approach to problem-solving and design
- Cloud container orchestration using Kubernetes or Docker
- Expertise in cloud infrastructure - Azure, AWS, or Google Cloud
- SRE/DevOps/IT operations
- Hands-on experience with observability tools such as Dynatrace, Splunk, AppDynamics, ELK, Catchpoint, Quantum Metric, Prometheus
- Knowledge of streaming technologies such as Kafka, JMS, SNS
- Knowledge of ReactJS, MySQL, Oracle, JSON, XML, Cassandra, Salesforce, MuleSoft, ServiceNow, JIRA
Recommended Reading: Common Software Engineer Interview Questions for tech interview preparation
You must realize that soft skills are as important as technical skills to get a good position in the DIRECTV software engineering department. This is why DIRECTV interview rounds include several behavioral questions. Some essential soft skills for software engineering positions are:
- Exceptional ability to communicate technical problems in writing as well as verbally
- Ability to thrive in a team environment
- System-oriented approach to problem-solving ability. You must be able to tackle complex problems and designs.
Benefits of Working at DIRECTV as a Software Engineer
If you are applying for a software engineer position at DIRECTV, you should know the multiple employee benefits offered in addition to a competitive DIRECTV software engineer salary. The benefits can vary as per location and employee value. Here is a list of the most promising benefits that make DIRECTV a highly-regarded employer.
- Remote work or a work from home policy
- Unique office space
Health & Wellness
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
Paid Time Off
- 23 days of PTO/vacation policy
- 9 paid holidays
- Maternity/paternity leave
- Flexible spending account
- Health savings account
- Tuition reimbursement
- Education/training/certification reimbursement
- 401(k)/Retirement plan
- Employee stock purchase plan
FAQs on DIRECTV Software Engineer Salary
Q1. Is software engineering a high-paying career at DIRECTV?
The demand for software engineers is rising worldwide, and DIRECTV offers lucrative salary packages to its software engineers. You can expect an average DIRECTV Software Engineer salary to be approximately $109,334 annually. This amount is $2,190 more than the average salary of a software engineer in the US. You should know that the software engineers' salary is more than the design and customer care department salaries offered by DIRECTV. (Source:comparably.com)
Q2. What is the salary range for a DIRECTV software engineer?
You can expect your DIRECTV software engineer salary to fall in the range of $53,443 - $172,500 per annum in the US.
Q3. How often do DIRECTV software engineers get raises?
If you get a software engineer job at DIRECTV, you can expect raises twice yearly as per the Union contract.
Q4. How can I get a high software engineer position in the DIRECTV engineering department?
To advance in the DIRECTV software engineering department, you must be adept in video streaming technologies, such as Kafka and Roku, programming, and coding. Your years of professional work experience can help you secure a job in higher positions. You should be able to demonstrate your core competencies in the challenging interview rounds at DIRECTV, to bag a senior position and a higher DIRECTV software engineer salary.
Q5. What is the average hourly pay for DIRECTV software engineers?
The average DIRECTV software engineer salary per hour is $60. You can get a raise up to $70 an hour depending on your performance (Careerbliss.com).
Ace Your DIRECTV Software Engineer Interview at FAANG+ Companies
To gain momentum on your DIRECTV Software Engineer Salary interview prep, register for Interview Kickstart's FREE webinar. It will help you understand the best way to prepare for interviews at the biggest companies.
IK is the gold standard in tech interview prep. Our programs include a comprehensive curriculum, unmatched teaching methods, FAANG+ instructors, and career coaching to help you nail your next tech interview.
We've trained thousands of engineers to land dream offers at the biggest companies, including Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Microsoft, and Netflix. Check out some reviews to learn more.