Cyber security engineer jobs are quite the rage these days. With a lucrative salary package, perks, and the host of job benefits they offer, cyber security roles have become one of the most popular software engineering jobs in the US.
If you are preparing for a cyber security engineer interview, check out our technical interview checklist, interview questions page to get interview-ready! Also, read our salary negotiation e-book for specific insights and guidance on the best ways to negotiate your compensation package in any interview!
Having trained over 9,000 software engineers and software developers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Since 2014, Interview Kickstart alums have been landing lucrative offers from FAANG and Tier-1 tech companies, with an average salary hike of 49%. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $933,000!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
Top tech companies, including FAANG companies, compensate cyber security engineers extremely well. In this article, we will discuss:
- Levels of cyber security engineers at FAANG companies
- Role of cyber security engineers at FAANG companies
- Cyber security engineer salary in the US
- Benefits of working as a cyber security engineer
- Cyber security engineer salary: Comparison of FAANG companies
- Cyber security engineer salary: Comparison by location
- FAQs on cyber security engineer salary
Levels of Cyber Security Engineers at FAANG Companies
The salary of a cyber security engineer mainly depends on the salary band and level they are at. Typically, there are three levels:
- Entry-level cyber security engineers: Cyber security engineers who are just starting in the field. You may need little or no work experience in cyber security for this level.
- Junior cyber security engineers: Engineers having some experience working with cyber security.
- Senior cyber security engineers: Engineers possessing considerable experience working with cyber security.
Although they follow the same seniority levels in a broader aspect, top tech companies label them differently. Here are the cyber security engineer levels at the top tech companies:
- Levels of cyber security engineers at Facebook: E3, E4, E5, E6, E7, E8
- Levels of cyber security engineers at Amazon: SDE I (L4), SDE II (L5), SDE III (Senior SDE), Principal SDE (L7), Senior Principal SDE (L8), Distinguished Engineer (L10)
- Levels of cyber security engineers at Apple: ICT2, ICT3, ICT4, ICT5, ICT6
- Levels of cyber security engineers at Google: Software Engineer II (L3), Software Engineer III (L4), Senior Software Engineer (L5), Staff Software Engineer (L6), Senior Staff Software Engineer (L7), Principal Engineer (L8), Distinguished Engineer (L9), Google Fellow (L10), Senior Google Fellow (L11)
- Levels of cyber security engineers at Microsoft: SDE (59), 60, SDE II (61), 62, Senior SDE (63), 64, Principal SDE (65), 66, 67, Partner (68), 69, 70 (Distinguished Engineer), 80 (Technical Fellow)
Read more about Different Software Engineering Levels in Big Tech Companies to learn how they differ in skill requirements and pay grades.
Types of Cyber Security Engineers
The cyber security systems engineer’s salary will also depend on which area of security and which team/project you are a part of. Some of the types of cyber security engineers are:
- IT security engineer
- Network security engineer
- Information security engineer
- Information assurance engineer
- Information systems security engineer
Role of Cyber Security Engineers at FAANG Companies
The roles and responsibilities of a cyber security engineer at FAANG companies include:
- Designing and implementing systems that not only prevent but also minimize security risk for the company’s infrastructure and data
- Coding, using C++, Python, PHP/Hack, Golang, and Java primarily
- Conducting design and code reviews
- Analyzing and improving scalability, efficiency, and stability for the assigned product area or systems
- Identifying and driving changes required for assigned product area, codebase, or systems
- Interfacing with other teams and incorporation of their innovations and vice versa
If you want to prepare yourself to take up the role of a cyber security engineer but don’t know where to start, talk to experts at Interview Kickstart today! Register here for our FREE Webinar.
Cyber Security Engineer Salary in the US
According to Payscale, the average base salary for a cyber security engineer ranges from $67,000 to $139,000 per year. It is a fixed component, and it is paid to the engineer irrespective of their or the company’s performance.
The average bonus offered is $1,000 to $6,000 per annum. It usually varies for engineers even in the same salary band. Profit-sharing or stock grants allotted to cyber security engineers lie in the range of $995 to $10,000.
The total cyber security engineer average salary in the United States is $66,000 to $143,000 per year.
Want to learn how to negotiate a higher salary package? Experts and ex-recruiters from FAANG+ companies at Interview Kickstart will teach you how to leverage your skills to up your negotiating power. Sign up for Interview Kickstart’s FREE webinar to learn more!
Benefits of Working as a Cyber Security Engineer
Besides salary, bonus, and stock options, cyber security engineers in top tech companies enjoy many perks and benefits. Here are some benefits offered to cyber security engineers by leading tech companies in addition to their salary package:
Insurance, Health, and Wellness:
- Health insurance -- UHC or Aetna, with or without HSA
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Maternity leave
- On-site clinic
- PTO: Vacation/Personal days
- Paternity leave
- Pet insurance
- Sick time
- Vision insurance
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Gym membership
- Transport allowance
- Relocation bonus
- Remote work
- Immigration assistance
- Adoption assistance
- Company phones
- Fertility assistance
- Military leave
- On-site laundry
Financial and Retirement:
- 401k plan
- Employee stock purchase program
- Flexible spending account (FSA)
- Mega backdoor roth IRA
Perks and Discounts:
- Employee credit
- Employee discount
- Tuition reimbursement
Cyber Security Engineer Salary: Comparison of FAANG Companies
The cyber security engineer salaries offered by FAANG+ companies offer are quite competitive. Here’s a comparison of cyber security engineer salaries offered by top FAANG companies. All figures reflect the average compensation breakdown for software engineers in the U.S. for each salary band at FAANG companies:
Google and Facebook pay the highest cyber security engineer salaries in the US. A special mention to Netflix, who only hires highly experienced cyber security engineers, which is reflected in the compensation tally. Also, the software engineer salary vs. cyber security salary across the country and across companies is relatively lower.
Cyber Security Engineer Salary: Comparison by Location
Here are the top 10 cyber security engineer salaries in the United States based by location according to Talent.com:
Tips to Negotiate Cyber Security Engineer Salary
One crucial step in the interview process is negotiating your salary. Here is some advice from experts on how to negotiate a compensation package:
- Build your case by being aware of your strengths, skills, and the value you bring to the role and the company.
- Familiarize yourself with the company’s cyber security engineer salary trends.
- Remember to factor in the perks and benefits.
- Remember that you are not obligated to share the compensation you are currently receiving.
- You do not necessarily have to share the compensation you are expecting.
- Build a good relationship with the hiring manager.
- Do not insist on receiving written offers.
- Remember to ask for a relocation package.
- There is a lot of publicly available compensation data. Compare the offer you have received before agreeing to anything.
- Read The Ultimate Guide to Salary Negotiation at FAANG for Software Engineers to hone your negotiation skills and get an offer that matches your value.
FAQs on Cyber Security Engineer Salary
Q. What is the average salary of a cyber security engineer?
A. The total average compensation of a cyber security engineer in the United States is $66,000 to $143,000 per year.
Q. What are the possible career paths for a cyber security engineer?
A. As a cyber security engineer, you can choose to take any of these career paths:
- Security architect
- Security consultant
- Penetration tester (ethical hackers)
- Chief information security officer (CISO)
Q. How do cyber security engineer salaries differ in Nevada compared to New York City?
A. The average cyber security engineer starting salary in California is $130,813. The average cyber security engineer salary in Nevada, in comparison, is much higher at $195,000.
Q. What is the starting cyber security engineer salary at Facebook?
A. The starting cyber security engineer salary at Facebook is $190,000 per year plus bonus, stocks, perks, and benefits. The average senior cyber security engineer salary at Facebook is $332,000.
Get Ready for Your Upcoming Cyber Security Engineer Interview
Every cyber security engineer, software engineer, and coding engineer has dreamt of working at a FAANG+ company. However, very few are able to achieve this dream. It takes the right guidance, a foolproof interview prep plan, sheer hard work, and some smart decisions to get a job at a Tier-1 tech company.
Register for Interview Kickstart’s FREE webinar to understand the best way to prepare for cyber security engineer interviews at FAANG+ companies.
IK is the gold standard in tech interview prep. Our programs include a comprehensive curriculum, unmatched teaching methods, FAANG+ instructors, and career coaching to help you nail your next tech interview. We’ve trained thousands of engineers to land dream offers at the biggest companies, including Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Microsoft, and Netflix, among others.
Register for our FREE webinar to know more!