AWS Solutions Architects are responsible for designing, deploying, and evaluating applications on Amazon Web Services (AWS) while taking care of diverse and complex requirements. Solution Architects develop technological solutions in line with business needs. Solutions Architects play a crucial role in ensuring the success of IT projects. AWS Solutions Architects bear a high degree of responsibility and are duly compensated with competitive salaries.
If you want to kickstart your AWS Solutions Architect career with a top tech company, check out our technical interview checklist, interview questions page, and salary negotiation e-book to get interview-ready!
Having trained over 13,500 software engineers and software developers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Since 2014, Interview Kickstart alums have been landing lucrative offers from FAANG and Tier-1 tech companies. The highest-ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $1.267 Million!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
In this article, we cover various aspects related to AWS Solutions Architect salaries:
- AWS Solutions Architects Job Levels
- Role of AWS Solutions Architects at FAANG companies
- AWS Solutions Architect Salary in the US
- AWS Solutions Architect Compensation Benefits
- AWS Solutions Architect Salary: Comparison of FAANG Companies
- AWS Solutions Architect Salary: Comparison by Location
- AWS Solutions Architect Salary FAQs
- Preparing for Your AWS Solutions Architect Interview
AWS Solutions Architect Job Levels
When hiring AWS Solutions Architects, tech companies prefer candidates with considerable IT and Solutions Architecture experience. AWS Solutions Architects’ salaries depend on their job levels within a company.
Typically, there are three AWS Solutions Architect job levels:
- Entry-Level AWS Solutions Architects: These are AWS Solutions Architects who are just starting in the field. You may need little or no work experience as a Solutions Architect for this level.
- Junior AWS Solutions Architects: These are engineers with a few years of experience working as a Solutions Architect.
- Senior AWS Solutions Architects: These are engineers with considerable experience working as Solutions Architects.
Levels of AWS Solutions Architects at Amazon:
- L4 - Solutions Architect I
- L5 - Solutions Architect II
- L6 - Solutions Architect III (Senior Solutions Architect)
- L7 - Principal Solutions Architect
- L8 - Senior Principal Solutions Architect
- L9 - Distinguished Solutions Architect
Types of AWS Solutions Architects
Solutions Architects play these key roles:
- Generic Solutions Architect
- Domain-Specific Solutions Architect such as Retail or Telecom Solution Architects
- Technology-Based Solutions Architect such as Microservices Solution Architects
- Product-Based Solutions Architect such as SAP Solution Architects
- Focus-Based Solutions Architect such as Application Solution Architects, Security Solution Architects, or Integration Solution Architects
- Role-Based Solutions Architect such as Chief Architect or Lead Solution Architect
Role of AWS Solutions Architects at FAANG Companies
Solutions Architects at Amazon Web Services (AWS) devise strategies to build and grow mind share and user bases of Amazon’s utility computing web services. This includes Amazon S3, Amazon SimpleDB, Amazon SQS, and Amazon EC2 within strategic accounts.
Responsibilities of an AWS Solutions Architect include:
- Project planning, execution, technical engagement, and outcomes.
- Developing a deep understanding and expertise of AWS technologies.
- Developing technological knowledge of the construction of applications and services using the AWS platform.
- Representing Amazon in client interactions.
- Driving discussions with senior personnel, architects, and software developers.
- Devising solutions for Amazon’s business and products and addressing technological challenges using strategic thinking.
Land an AWS Solutions Architect role with a sound technical interview preparation plan with our experts at Interview Kickstart! Register now for our FREE Webinar.
AWS Solutions Architect Salary in the US
According to Levels.fyi, the compensation packages of AWS Solutions Architects are quite competitive.
Average Base Salary: The average base salary for an L4 AWS Solutions Architect is $104,000 per year. This is a fixed component, paid irrespective of the employee’s or company’s performance.
Average Total Compensation:
- The average total compensation of an L4 AWS Solutions Architect in the United States is $138,000 per year.
- The average salary for a Senior AWS-certified Solutions Architect Associate ranges from $148,000 to $161,500 per year.
Average Bonus: The average bonus offered is $15,000 per annum. This is a performance-based component and can vary for engineers within the same salary band.
Restricted Stock Units: The average stock grant / profit-sharing offered to AWS Solutions Architects is $18,000. These are Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) issued to employees. Once vested, they can be freely traded.
AWS Solutions Architects Salary by Level
The average annual AWS Solutions Architect Associate salary by level is given below:
AWS Solutions Architect Compensation Benefits
Benefits AWS Solutions Architects receive include:
Insurance, Health, and Wellness
- Health Insurance: UHC or Aetna, with or without HSA
- Health Savings Account
- Life Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Maternity Leave
- Paternity Leave
- On-site Clinic
- PTO: Vacation and Personal Days
- Sick Time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Gym Membership
- Transport allowance
- Remote Work
- Relocation Bonus
- Immigration Assistance
- Adoption Assistance
- Fertility Assistance
- Company Phones
- Military Leave
- On-site Laundry
Financial and Retirement
- 401k Plan
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Mega Backdoor Roth IRA
Perks and Discounts
- Employee Credit
- Employee Discount
- Tuition Reimbursement
Solutions Architect Salary: Comparison of FAANG Companies
FAANG+ companies offer competitive salaries to Solutions Architect. Here’s a comparison of top Solutions Architect salaries offered by top FAANG companies. All figures represent the average compensation for Solutions Architects in the US.
As is evident from the table above, some companies prefer highly experienced candidates.
Want to learn how to negotiate a salary package you deserve? Experts from FAANG+ companies at Interview Kickstart will teach you how to leverage your skills to enhance your negotiating power. Sign up for Interview Kickstart’s FREE webinar to learn more!
AWS Solutions Architect Salary: Comparison by Location
According to Talent.com, the top 9 average annual AWS Solutions Architect salaries in the United States, based on location, are:
- Missouri: $170,000
- New York: $170,000
- California: $170,000
- New Jersey: $169,125
- Maryland: $150,000
- Washington: $150,000
- Colorado: $141,000
- Illinois: $137,500
- Texas: $135,000
Tips to Negotiate AWS Certified Solutions Architect Salary
Here are some valuable pointers to help you negotiate a higher compensation package:
- Leverage your strengths, skills, and value you can bring to the role and company
- Familiarize yourself with the company’s software engineering salary trends
- Consider the value of perks and benefits in determining total compensation
- Share your current compensation details only if it increases your bargaining power
- Divulge your expected compensation only if it increases your bargaining power
- Establish a good relationship with the hiring manager
- Don’t insist on receiving written offers
- Ask for a relocation package, if applicable
- Research market compensation data for your prospective role
- Get competing offers
Read The Ultimate Guide to Salary Negotiation at FAANG for Software Engineers to hone your negotiation skills and get an offer that matches your value.
AWS Solutions Architect Salary FAQs
Q. What is the average salary of an AWS Solutions Architect?
The entry-level salary for AWS Solutions Architects in the United States is $138,000 per year. The average AWS Senior Solutions Architect salary is $276,000 per year.
Q. What career path does an AWS Solutions Architect follow?
A typical career path to becoming an AWS Solutions Architect is:
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science → Master's degree in Systems Architecture (some employers prefer MBAs and certifications) → 3+ years experience working with IT systems and proficiency in one or more programming languages.
Q. How do salaries of AWS Solutions Architects differ between California and Colorado?
According to Talent.com, the average starting salary for AWS Solutions Architects in California is $170,000. The average salary for AWS Solutions Architects in Colorado is $141,000.
Get Ready for Your AWS Solutions Architect Interview
Nearly every AWS Solutions Architect, Software Engineer, and Coding Engineer dreams of working at a FAANG+ company. However, only a select few achieve this dream.
It takes the right guidance, a fool-proof interview prep plan, sheer hard work, and some smart decisions to get a job at a Tier-1 tech company.
Register for Interview Kickstart’s FREE webinar to understand the best way to prepare for Solutions Architect interviews at leading tech companies. To learn more about the AWS Solutions Architect interview process, from application to phone screen and technical interview rounds to on-site interviews, get advice from experts at Interview Kickstart today!
IK is the gold standard in tech interview prep. Our interview preparation courses include a comprehensive curriculum, unmatched teaching methods, mock interviews with experts, FAANG+ instructors, and career coaching to help you nail your next tech interview.