Apple famously maintains that the most enduring design Apple has come up with is Apple itself. This applies directly to the work culture and ideology at Apple. Instead of business units, the company is organized according to functional specialties. Apple places great value on expertise. As a senior software engineer at Apple, you will work in a high-energized environment with a lot of opportunities and will be able to become a valued leader.
If you’re aiming for a senior software engineer role at Apple, check out our technical interview checklist, interview questions page, and salary negotiation ebook to get interview-ready! Also, read Apple Interview Process Guide 2021 and How Hard is it to Get a Job at Apple? for specific insights and guidance on senior software engineer tech interviews.
Having trained over 6,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Since 2014, Interview Kickstart alums have been landing lucrative offers from FAANG and Tier-1 tech companies, with an average salary hike of 49%. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $933,000!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
Apple is known to go out of its way to take care of its employees, which reflects in its compensation, perks, and benefits. In this article, we will discuss:
- Levels of Software Engineers at Apple
- Role of an Apple Senior Software Engineer
- Apple Senior Software Engineer: Salary and Salary Components
- Benefits of Working as an Apple Senior Software Engineer
- Senior Software Engineer Salary: Comparison by Location
- Tips to Negotiate Salary at the Apple Interview
- FAQs on Senior Software Engineer Salary
Levels of Software Engineers at Apple
The levels of software engineers at Apple are:
- ICT2 (entry-level)
- ICT4 (senior software engineer)
- Distinguished Engineer
- Senior Distinguished Engineer
Roles and Responsibilities of an Apple Senior Software Engineer
Apple offers limitless possibilities and opportunities to its software engineers. All Apple asks is that you bring your A-game to the role you are taking up. The key roles and responsibilities of an Apple senior software engineer include:
- Delivering innovative solutions that improve employee and customer experience.
- Driving the development and improvement of existing solvers.
- Ensuring that Apple products are engineered for scalability, security, and reliability.
- Designing and developing runtime performance-critical code.
- Deep diving into existing software to debug critical issues.
- Developing robust, execution-time critical software with an emphasis on planning for autonomous systems.
- Working effectively across teams.
- Working with model-predictive control algorithms.
- Handling the full software development lifecycle and embedded software development.
- Combining expertise with immersion in details.
- Collaboratively debating during collective decision-making.
If you want to prepare yourself to take up the role of a senior software engineer but don’t know where to start, talk to experts at Interview Kickstart today! Register here for our FREE Webinar.
Apple Senior Software Engineer Salary and Components
Before we look at the average salary of a senior software engineer at Apple, let’s first find out what that compensation comprises.
The following are the salary components in a senior software engineer’s salary at Apple:
- The Base Component: This amount indicates the fixed component of your salary.
- Cash Bonus: This variable component is tied to your annual performance and is paid out annually if your performance is up to standard. It usually varies for engineers even in the same salary band.
- Stock Options: These are Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) issued to employees. Once vested, they can be freely traded.
The average yearly senior software engineer Apple salary, ranked by level, is given below:
Want to learn how to negotiate a higher salary package? Experts from FAANG+ companies at Interview Kickstart will teach you to leverage your skills to up your negotiating power.
Sign up for Interview Kickstart’s FREE webinar to learn more!
Benefits of Working as an Apple Senior Software Engineer
Along with the salary, bonus, and stock options, Apple senior software engineers receive many perks and benefits. Here are some benefits offered to Apple Senior Software Engineers in addition to their compensation package:
Insurance, Health, and Wellness
- Health insurance - UHC or Aetna, with or without HSA
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Maternity leave
- Onsite clinic
- PTO: Vacation/personal days
- Paternity leave
- Pet insurance
- Sick time
- Vision insurance
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Gym membership
- Transport allowance
Home and Personal
- Relocation bonus
- Remote work
- Immigration assistance
- Adoption assistance
- Company phones
- Fertility assistance
- Military leave
- On-site laundry
Financial and Retirement
- 401k plan
- Employee stock purchase program
- Flexible spending account (FSA)
- Mega backdoor roth IRA
Perks and Discounts
- Employee credit
- Employee discount
- Tuition reimbursement
Senior Software Engineer Salaries: Comparison by Location
Here are top cities that pay the highest salaries to senior software engineers in the US (average annual salary):
Tips to Negotiate Salary During the Apple Senior Software Engineer Interview
Here are some points that will help you negotiate a higher Apple senior software engineer salary:
- Build your case by being aware of your strengths, skills, and the value you bring to the role and the company you are interviewing for.
- Familiarize yourself with the company standards as well as the industry average.
- Remember to factor in the perks and benefits.
- You are not obligated to share the compensation you are currently receiving.
- You don’t necessarily have to share the compensation you are expecting.
- Build a good relationship with the hiring manager.
- Do not insist on receiving written offers.
- Remember to ask for a relocation package.
- There is a lot of publicly available compensation data. Compare the offer you have received before agreeing to anything.
- Read The Ultimate Guide to Salary Negotiation at FAANG for Software Engineers to hone your negotiation skills and get an offer that matches your value.
How to Crack Your Upcoming Senior Software Engineer Interview
Nearly every senior software engineer, software engineer, coding engineer, software developer, and engineering manager wants to work at a FAANG+ company, but few are able to make this dream a reality. It takes the right guidance and some smart decisions to get a job at a Tier-1 tech company.
Register for Interview Kickstart’s FREE webinar to understand the best way to prepare for software engineer interviews at the biggest companies.
We’ve trained thousands of engineers to land dream offers at the biggest companies, including Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Microsoft, and Netflix.
FAQs on Apple Senior Software Engineer Salary
1. What is the average Apple salary senior software engineer positions get?
The senior staff software engineer salary Apple offers is $161,744 per year.
2. How does the average salary of a senior software engineer role differ in Seattle compared to New York City?
The average Apple senior software engineer salary Seattle offers is $140,621 per year, while it is $129,475 per year in New York.
3. How does the Apple senior software development engineer salary differ from the national average?
The salary of a senior software development engineer at Apple salary is $161,744 per year, while the average salary in the United States for a senior software developer is $124,818 per year.