Front-end engineers are responsible for designing the visuals and layouts of web pages and applications. They work closely with back-end developers to code the front-end of a web page or application, which users interact with.
Amazon is a consumer-centric company operating across digital streaming, cloud computing, e-commerce, and aerospace verticals. Amazon employs several front-end engineers and is known for offering lucrative compensation packages as well as a host of other benefits such as insurance, paid vacations, and more.
If you’re a software engineer, coding engineer, software developer, engineering manager, or tech lead preparing for tech interviews, check out our technical interview checklist, interview questions page, and salary negotiation e-book to get interview-ready!
Having trained over 6,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Since 2014, Interview Kickstart alums have been landing lucrative offers from FAANG and Tier-1 tech companies, with an average salary hike of 49%. The highest-ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $933,000!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies. Our reviews will tell you how we’ve shaped the careers of thousands of professionals aspiring to take their careers to new heights.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
In this article, we’ll look at Amazon front-end engineer salaries and how they compare with salaries of front-end engineers at other FAANG companies:
- Amazon Front-end Engineer Roles and Responsibilities
- Amazon Front-end Engineer Qualifications and Skills Required
- Amazon Front-end Engineer Salary in the United States
- Additional Benefits Offered to Amazon Front-end Engineers
- Front-end Engineer Salaries: Amazon vs. Other FAANG Companies
Amazon Front-end Engineer Roles and Responsibilities
Your responsibilities as a front-end engineer will vary based on the team you join and your level of seniority. As a front-end engineer at Amazon, your role will largely involve:
- Designing and developing web applications for business and consumer operations
- Working with back-end teams to develop high-end creative solutions
- Designing and developing tools for various front-end development processes
- Developing and maintaining the design of user interfaces
- Developing creative solutions for e-commerce pages and applications
- Designing and developing the architecture for applications
Related Read: Amazon Coding Interview Questions
Amazon Front-End Engineer Qualifications and Skills Required
As a front-end development engineer, you’ll be required to meet the preferred qualification criteria to apply for jobs at Amazon. Below are the skills and qualifications required for Amazon front-end engineer jobs:
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science or IT
- 2+ years experience in the field of Front-end development
- Working knowledge of front-end development technologies
- Working knowledge of web applications design
- Working knowledge of client-side technologies
- Strong programming skills; especially in object-oriented programming languages
- Proven experience working with back-end teams to code web pages and applications
- Proven problem-solving skills
Related Read: Amazon Behavioral Interview Questions
Amazon Front-end Engineer Salaries in the United States
Front-end engineers at Amazon earn compensations ranging between $1,01,820 - $2,03,734 per annum, depending on job level, seniority, and experience.
- Cash Bonus: The average cash bonus offered to front-end engineers at Amazon is $31,236 per annum
- Stock Options: The average value of stock options offered to Amazon front-end engineers is $29,918 per annum.
- Base Salary: The average base salary of front-end Engineers at Amazon is $134,133 per year
- Total compensation: The average total compensation, including cash bonuses and stock options, for front-end engineers at Amazon is $137,665 per year.
Amazon senior front-end engineer salaries vary based on seniority.
Additional Benefits Offered to Amazon Front-end Engineers
Amazon offers a host of other benefits in addition to cash bonuses and restricted stock options. Below are some notable benefits that Front-End Engineers at Amazon enjoy:
- Insurance: Health, Dental, Vision, Disability, and Life
- Maternity and Paternity Leave
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Account
- Transportation (within and to the Amazon campus)
- Paid Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner
- Paid Vacations
Front-end Engineer Salaries: Amazon vs. Other FAANG Companies
FAANG companies offer exciting career opportunities and compensation packages to their Front-end Engineers. The table below compares Front-end Engineer salaries at Amazon and other FAANG companies
All FAANG companies offer higher salaries than the National Average Front-End Salary in the United States. Google offers the highest salaries to front-end developers, followed by Facebook and Netflix.
Get Started With Your Front-End Engineer Interview Prep
If you’re preparing for a front-end engineer interview, check out Interview Kickstart’s Front-End Engineering Interview Course, tailored to help you crack even the toughest technical interviews at FAANG companies.
At Interview Kickstart, we’ve helped thousands of engineers land incredible offers at multiple FAANG and Tier-1 companies. Our expert instructors are technical leads and hiring managers at FAANG and Tier-1 companies and know exactly what it takes to crack challenging and highly competitive technical interviews.