Netflix, one of the most popular OTT platforms, recently posted a job opening for new graduates. If you're a recent college graduate with a degree in software engineering or computer science, this blog will show you how to get an entry-level job at Netflix.
Although the company typically hires experienced or senior software engineers, this new development provides an excellent opportunity for junior software engineers to advance their careers at Netflix.
For new grads, the Netflix software engineer interview could be intimidating. You may have to go through several rounds of interviews before receiving an offer. With such a rigorous interview process, Netflix's acceptance rate is only 20%. However, with strategic preparation, this will not be a difficult task.
Netflix has a strong company culture that encourages diversity, inclusion, cooperation, integrity, and hard work. The company urges its employees to take ownership of everyday tasks and always rewards excellence. A new grad software engineer at Netflix gets paid approximately $266k yearly, whereas a senior software engineer makes around $520k annually.
Read this article carefully to know how to land this dream offer at Netflix as a new grad software engineer. We’ll discuss the Netflix interview process, qualifications required for Netflix jobs, and we’ll also take a look at some of the Netflix software engineer interview questions.
Here’s what we’ll cover:
- Netflix Software Engineer Interview Process
- Qualifications Required for Netflix Fresher Jobs
- What You’ll Learn at Netflix as a New Grad Software Engineer
- How to Prepare for Netflix Software Engineer Interview as a New Grad
- Sample Netflix Interview Questions for Freshers
- FAQs on Netflix Entry-Level Jobs
Netflix Software Engineer Interview Process
If you wish to land a job at Netflix as a fresher, you must understand the interview process. The Netflix interview process for software engineers and fresh graduates usually has three main stages. For fresh-graduate hiring drive, here’s what the process looks like:
In the Netflix software engineer interview’s initial screening round, a recruiter will ask you basic questions about your qualifications and skills. If your profile fits the role, you’ll be invited to the Technical Phone Screen interview. Netflix interview questions in this round are usually around your graduation degree, expectations from the role, and your core strengths.
Technical Phone Screening
In the Netflix technical phone screening round for a new grad software engineer, a hiring manager will ask you basic programming questions. You’ll be asked to solve a reasonably easy problem on core data structures. Your ability to correctly approach the problem and write clean code will invite you for the on-campus interview.
The Netflix on-site interview for junior software engineers consists of a coding, design, and soft skills round. In the Netflix coding round, your hold on the OOP language of your choice is tested. Your knowledge of algorithms and concepts in data structures, along with basic systems design concepts, are evaluated through multiple rounds. You’re usually asked 1-2 Netflix software engineer interview questions on coding, 1-2 questions on design, and 3-4 behavioral-related questions.
Here are a few technologies that Netflix uses:
- Spring Boot
You don’t necessarily have to know how to work with all of these technologies. Your excitement to learn them is sufficient. However, you’re expected to be good with your programming language.
For more information about the Netflix interview process for new grad software engineers, look at this Netflix Interview Process Guide.
Qualifications Required for Netflix Fresher Jobs
Below are the qualifications required to apply for the Netflix entry-level jobs or Netflix jobs for new grad software engineers:
- A graduate degree in Computer Science, IT, or a relevant field
- 1+ years of internship experience
- Good problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong skills and knowledge in Object-Oriented Programming
- Good understanding of data structures, algorithms, and code debugging
This blog on How to get software engineering jobs at Netflix will give you an idea of how to land your dream Netflix job.
What You’ll Learn at Netflix as a New Grad Software Engineer
If you manage to land a Netflix fresher job for software engineer, here’s what you’ll get to learn:
- Building scalable and robust systems that solve complex business problems
- Writing high-quality code that performs splendidly
- Distributed systems design and the architecture of systems processes
- Working with multiple stakeholders in a high-growth environment
To know software engineers’ day-to-day tasks and responsibilities, check out our blog on What Do Netflix Software Engineers Do.
How to Prepare for a Netflix Software Engineer Interview as a New Grad
If you want to land a Netflix job as a fresher or a new grad by cracking all Netflix interview questions on coding and design, here is what you should do:
- Begin your Netflix software engineer interview prep at least four weeks before your interview.
- Get thorough with concepts in data structures and algorithms.
- Brush up on concepts in Java, Python, or any other programming language that you’re going to code.
- Go through the basic concepts in distributed systems design. This Ultimate Systems Design checklist is all you need to prep for design interviews.
- Prepare for the Netflix behavioral interview by practicing responses to commonly asked software engineer behavioral questions using the STAR method.
- Practice technical mock interviews with experts from the industry.
If you’re looking for some practice Netflix coding interview questions for your interview, check out our Problems Page to find a whole list of problems with optimal solutions.
Sample Netflix Interview Questions for Freshers
Practicing some sample software engineer interview questions is important for preparing for a Netflix job for freshers. We’ve curated some technical and behavioral Netflix interview questions here. Take a look!
Technical Questions for Netflix Software Engineer Interview
Coding interview questions are an important part of the Netflix technical interview. Below are some sample questions to help you prepare.
- Given an integer array arr of size n, find all magic triplets in it. A magic triplet is a group of three numbers whose sum is zero.
- Given a two-dimensional array, if any element within is zero, make its whole row and column zero.
- Given the head nodes of two linked lists that may or may not intersect, find out if they intersect and return the point of intersection. Return null otherwise.
- Given a binary tree, find out if it is a valid Binary Search Tree.
- Given a set of integers, find all the possible subsets of this set of integers.
To get access to more coding problems along with solutions for your Netflix interview, visit our Problems Page.
Behavioral Questions for Netflix Software Engineer Interview
Behavioral questions are an integral part of the hiring process at Netflix. The company profoundly values its culture and has stringent criteria for selecting suitable candidates based on their attitude and personality traits. Below are some sample behavioral questions you can expect at the Netflix interview.
- What has been the most exciting part of your journey as a software developer?
- Tell us about the most challenging project that you’ve worked on? What were the crucial learnings that helped you grow?
- Tell us about when you had an uncooperative coworker and how you handled the situation to prevent it from impacting the project.
- Why do you want to join Netflix? What do you understand about the company culture at Netflix?
- What do you do to ensure a healthy work-life balance and stay motivated at work?
If you're looking for Netflix software engineer jobs or Netflix fresher jobs, read How to Prepare for the Netflix Software Engineer Interview.
These additional Netflix Interview Questions will give you an idea of the types of questions you might be asked during your Netflix interview. Practicing these Netflix interview questions will stand you in good stead for your upcoming Netflix interview.
FAQs on Netflix Entry Level Jobs
Q1. Does Netflix hire fresh grads?
Netflix usually doesn’t hire junior software engineers or new grads. However, in October 2021, Netflix posted a job opening for new grads. Netflix has a low acceptance rate of about 20%. So, if you’re a new grad software engineer looking for a Netflix job, your programming knowledge and problem-solving skills need to be on-point. Make sure to understand how patterns in problems work. Use power patterns to solve questions at the technical interview to stand out from the competition.
Q2. What is the Netflix interview process for new grad software engineers?
The Netflix interview process for fresh grads has three main rounds - the initial recruiter screen, the technical phone screen where you’re asked 1-2 coding problems, and the Netflix on-site interview, which comprises a coding, design, and behavioral round.
Q3. How many years of experience do you need to get a job at Netflix?
Netflix generally hires software engineers with experience of three years or more. The opportunity of landing an entry-level job at Netflix is rare.
Q4. Can I work at Netflix without a graduate degree?
No, you cannot work at Netflix without a grad degree. Netflix even refrains from hiring new grad software engineers unless you see a hiring drive on their website or LinkedIn. You need to have a graduation degree or diploma in a relevant field with at least two to three years of experience to land a job at Netflix.
Q5. How do I get a job at Netflix?
Netflix has a rigorous hiring process. So, if you’re a new grad or a senior software engineer looking for a career at Netflix, prepare strategically to nail the job offer. Know the interview process, be thorough with your programming knowledge and practice some technical mock tests. Interview Kickstart is an excellent place to begin your preparations.
Q6. What are the Netflix interview questions asked in the coding round?
Netflix interview questions on coding feature concepts in core data structures and algorithms. The important concepts include Arrays, Linked Lists, Recursion, Hashing, Sorting algorithms, Graphs, Trees, and Dynamic Programming.
Q7. How much does Netflix pay to a fresher?
A new grad software engineer at Netflix earns around $266k per year, while a senior software engineer earns approximately $520k per year. (Source: levels.fyi)
Gear Up for Your Next Technical Interview
Are you ready for your next technical interview? If you want access to the best strategies and insights from industry experts who are hiring committee members at top tech companies, register for our free webinar today!
These reviews from our alums will tell you how we’ve influenced the success of 9,000+ engineers and helped them land dream offers from their favorite companies.
Don’t wait to up-level your career! Sign-up now!