For over a decade, major tech job surveys have been indicating a common trend — a growing demand for data engineers in tech companies. The demand has been rising every year. The reason is simple: the five most promising and growth-driven US companies, Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix, and Google (FAANG), and several tier-1 companies handle enormous data sets.
This has created a space for data engineers. If you are eyeing a data engineering role and preparing for a tech interview, check out our interview questions page and salary negotiation ebook to get interview-ready! Also, read Facebook Data Engineer Interview Questions and How I Landed a Big Data Engineer Job at Facebook for specific insights and guidance on Facebook data engineering interviews.
Having trained over 9,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Since 2014, Interview Kickstart alums have been landing lucrative offers from FAANG and Tier-1 tech companies, with an average salary hike of 49%. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $933,000!
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
In this article, we will cover what data engineering entails and the salaries you can expect at Facebook. You'll know where Facebook stands in terms of data engineer salaries compared with some other top tech talent recruiters in the US. We’ll cover:
- Facebook Data Engineer Skills and Role
- Facebook Data Engineer Levels
- Facebook Data Engineer Salary by Level
- Benefits of Working as a Facebook Data Engineer
- Data Engineering Salary: Facebook vs. Other Tech Companies
- Data Engineer Salary by Location
Facebook Data Engineer Skills and Role
Facebook, as we know, is the world's largest online social networking platform with billions of members. The company offers opportunities for data engineers, and landing a job here means upleveling your career several notches.
Facebook Data Engineer positions have various levels based on job responsibilities. A large portion of vacancies is for junior software engineers, coding engineers, and developers. For senior positions, you'll have the role of Data Engineering Manager with a significantly higher salary. Additionally, there are plenty of benefits and stock options.
If you are gunning for a Facebook data engineer job, you should have:
- At least 2 to 3 years of professional experience in Python, SQL cloud systems, workflow management engines, data modeling, data handling, and management tools
- Knowledge of multiple coding languages, SQL data quality analysis and validation, designing and implementation of pipelines
In your role as a Data Engineer, you’ll need to:
- Coordinate with data scientists, leadership, and program managers to decide on data needs
- Develop effective data pipelines
- Implement, handle, and manage datasets and database systems
- Educate your peers in data handling
- Handle maintenance problems and provide suitable solutions for the same.
Facebook Data Engineer Levels
At Facebook, professionals who work on Data Engineering are all called “Data Engineers.” The company does not follow any position-based naming rule formally. However, data engineer salaries vary based on the seniority — levels are used to denote this difference.
Based on the company's salary structure for data engineers, employees are classified as:
- Interns: The basic level, where Facebook provides an opportunity to software engineering students.
- IC3-IC4: Professional, entry-level data engineers, where the company needs undergraduate candidates from computer science, data science, mathematics, statistics, or related fields.
- IC5-IC6 and beyond: IC5 level is for data scientists, and IC6 and beyond are senior management positions of Facebook data engineering.
Note: IC stands for Individual Contributor. Other abbreviations used in Facebook Data Engineering positions based on level and skills are L (Level), E (Engineering), T (Technical), M (Manager), D (Director). Recruitment for these positions includes technical and behavioral interviews.
Facebook Data Engineer Salary by Level
Data Engineer salaries at Facebook in different US locations vary based on candidate's years of experience and levels where they are recruited.
- Interns: They usually receive $8000 per month with benefits, such as airfare to travel to their internship location, housing stipend, and paid meals.
- IC3-IC4: Engineers at these positions earn between $150,000 and $300,000 annually on average based on their years of experience and job roles. In addition, they get cash benefits and stock bonuses worth $10,000 to $32,000
- IC5, IC6, and beyond: Data engineers at senior management positions at Facebook earn between $250,000 to $500,000 on average based on years of experience, skills, and job roles. In addition, they get cash benefits and stock bonuses worth $13,000 to $96,000.
Benefits of Working as a Facebook Data Engineer
Working at Facebook has its perks, which is why it’s a sought-after company among engineers. Here’s what you can expect in addition to your salary:
- Complete health insurance coverage
- Paid time off for 21 days per year and unlimited sick days
- Parental leave (4 months)
- Childcare benefits
- Egg freezing and other fertility advantages
- Gym and wellness support
- Complimentary meal facility
- Remote work benefits
Stock Options for Facebook Data Engineers
Facebook pays its Data Engineers, irrespective of the job role and level, a portion of Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) in exchange for their performance. The RSUs are subject to a 4-year vesting schedule, meaning that 25% of the stock is vested every year for four years.
Data Engineering Salary: Facebook vs. Other Tech Companies
The demand for data engineers, as you know, is at an all-time high. So if you’re looking for a new job, it’s a good idea to weigh your options. Here’s a comparison of Facebook Data Engineer average annual salary with other two tech giants, Google and Amazon:
As you can see, Facebook data engineer salaries are on par or above its counterparts, making it a lucrative company for data engineers.
Data Engineer Salary by Location
As per Indeed, the following are the highest-paying cities in the US for Data Engineers. These salaries are not specific to Facebook but for Data Engineering jobs across companies in the US. This will give you a fair idea of where you can expect higher data engineering salaries.
- San Francisco, CA: $163,684
- Los Angeles, CA: $147,907
- New York, NY: $145,132
- Austin, TX: $138,090
- Plano, TX: $137,183
Prep for the Interview With the Industry-First Data Engineering Masterclass
Data engineering interviews can be daunting. Not only do you need to have deep knowledge of your domain, but you also need to crack coding problems, system design problems, and behavioral questions.
Interview Kickstart brings you the first-of-its-kind Data Engineering Masterclass, which is tailored to help data engineers nail every single interview round land their dream jobs.
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at FAANG+ companies. In addition, we also provide career coaching to guide you from resume creation to salary negotiation.
Sign up for our FREE webinar to learn more.