As one of the largest multinational technology corporations in the world, Apple employs over 140,000 employees across the globe. With the scale and scope of products and services that Apple offers, the company’s employees are known to enjoy a highly driven work environment and stimulating career with lucrative compensations and a host of other benefits.
While the company has a beaming customer base, a satisfied and productive employee base is what will continue to drive results for the billion-dollar market-cap company. The only way to keep employees satisfied, aside from the array of benefits and monetary perks, is to ensure that they enjoy a healthy work-life balance.
Having trained over 6,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Since 2014, Interview Kickstart alums have been landing lucrative offers from FAANG and Tier-1 tech companies, with an average salary hike of 49%. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $933,000!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
Here’s what we’ll discuss in this piece:
- Factors That Influence a Healthy Work-Life Balance
- How Does Apple Promote A Healthy Work-Life Balance?
- The Work-Life Balance at Apple — How Employees Rate Apple’s Work-lIfe Balance
- Apple Work-Life Balance Based On Experience
- How Can Software Engineers Enjoy a Healthy Work-Life Balance?
- FAQs on Apple Work-Life Balance
Important Factors That Influence Good Work-Life Balance
Work-life balance is a delicate concept that needs to be emphasized in today’s highly competitive corporate world. Employees who cannot maintain a good balance often run the risk of burning out, becoming unproductive, and ending up unsatisfied with their job, affecting the company’s operations in the process.
Here are some critical factors that influence a healthy work-life balance:
- Insurance benefits — vision, dental, accidental, and general health
- Paid leaves for vacations
- Non-intrusion into the personal space of employees
- Resolving conflicts amicably and meaningfully
- Encouraging physical activities and sport in the workplace by making provisions for gymnasiums, sports facilities, etc.
- Encouraging yoga and meditation at the workplace
- Ensuring that employees avoid burnout
- Child-care services
- Provision for flexible spending accounts
- Health savings account
- Bereavement leave
- Ensuring fixed working hours and compensating employees for working overtime
- Maternity and Paternity leaves
- Mental health counseling
- Encouraging interpersonal connections and interactions
- Team building exercises and activities
- Adequate time for leisure and recreational activities
The above benefits and facilities are crucial for an environment that kindles a healthy work-life balance.
How Does Apple Promote a Healthy Work-Life Balance?
Apple’s company culture encourages employees to maintain a good work-life balance to promote productivity and good mental and physical health.
Here’s how Apple promotes a healthy work-life balance for its employees:
- Apple encourages employees to take timely and periodic breaks to avoid burnout
- The company encourages employees to take paid vacations to unwind
- The company does not encourage its employees to work very long hours, and working overtime is well compensated
- An inclusive company culture ensures that employees mutually respect and value each other
- Employees can schedule mental-health counseling sessions with expert counselors to share and resolve issues that are troubling them
- Several teams enjoy flexible working hours, enabling them to balance out work and life
- Apple allows its employees to work remotely as well, giving them the flexibility to balance their work and life
- The company offers maternity and paternity leave to employees to let them take time off work during the initial months of parenting
The Work-Life Balance at Apple — How Employees Rate Apple’s Work-lIfe Balance
The majority of Apple’s employees stated that the work-life balance at Apple was satisfying, although a few teams work extended hours when project deadlines are tight. Overtime is, however, adequately compensated.
Most teams stated that they enjoy the work hours at Apple. Employees are generally not encouraged to work overly long hours, enabling them to maintain an excellent work-life balance.
The majority of employees at Apple work 8 hours or less in a day, allowing them to focus on important things outside of work.
Apple Work-Life Balance Based on Experience
The work-life balance at any company can vary depending on the seniority of the position in question.
The below table shows the work-life balance and happiness ratings compiled by Comparably from responses of Apple employees.
How Can Software Engineers Enjoy a Healthy Work-Life Balance?
Maintaining a healthy work-life balance is crucial if you wish to be productive and enjoy a balanced personal life. In order to maintain a good work-life balance as a software engineer where your work-hours can sometimes get intensive, here are some things that you should do:
- Devote adequate time for fitness/sports, as these activities refresh both your mind and your body
- Avoid taking stress — schedule a counseling session if you are overly stressed
- Take timely vacations to avoid burnout and keep the fun alive
- Maintain your composure during trying workplace situations
- Practice meditation and yoga to relax your mind and body
- Be disciplined and follow a healthy diet
- Take to activities that you are passionate about during the weekends
FAQs on Apple Work-Life Balance
1. What habits can help you maintain a healthy work-life balance?
Your ability to strike the right work-life balance depends on your habits. The following practices can help you maintain a good work-life balance:
- Practice breathing exercises every day. Yoga and meditation can take you a long way in dealing with stress.
- Create a to-do list of tasks that you have to do each day and prioritize them accordingly.
- Do activities that you’re passionate about whenever you get time, especially during the weekends.
- Maintain a healthy diet and exercise/play sports every day.
- Maintain good relationships with coworkers and superiors at your workplace.
- Avoid working long hours and seek help if you’re excessively stressed about anything.
2. What should you do to avoid burnout at work?
In order to avoid burnout, here are some things that you can do:
- Create a list of things you need to get done daily and keep a target for the week.
- Don’t overburden yourself. If you have too much on your plate, convey it to your peers/superiors.
- Take periodic vacations to unwind and relax.
- Practice meditation and breathing exercises to stay calm and relaxed. Meditation also helps you make good decisions at work and in your personal life, enabling you to stay mentally and physically healthy.
Get Ready for Your Next Apple Interview
If you’re preparing for your upcoming technical interview, enroll in Interview Kickstart’s Technical Interview Masterclass designed specifically to help you nail tech interviews at Apple and other top tech companies.
At Interview Kickstart, we’ve helped thousands of engineers across software engineering, data engineering, testing, and machine learning land lucrative opportunities at FAANG and tier-1 companies.
If you’re looking for a fitting resource to help you with your prep, register for our free webinar to find out how we can help you. These reviews from our vast network of alums will give you a good idea of how our team of experts with over 25 years of experience has helped engineers scale up their professional careers.