The role of Machine Learning Engineers has become particularly significant in recent times, thanks to fast-paced growth in automation and Artificial Intelligence. Several big tech companies, including Google, hire all through the year for Machine Learning roles. Google, in particular, is known to pay attractive salary packages to ML engineers, making it a coveted company for engineers wishing to work in a superior and stimulating work environment.
Getting into Google isn’t easy, though. If you’re wondering how tough it is to land a job at Google, well, less than 2% of engineers who apply actually end up landing an offer. The stringent interview process ensures only the best of the best get through. So adopting a foolproof prep strategy is extremely important to crack interviews at Google.
Having trained over 6,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Since 2014, Interview Kickstart alums have been landing lucrative offers from FAANG and Tier-1 tech companies, with an average salary hike of 49%. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $933,000!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
In this article, we’ll look at how much Machine Learning Engineers at Google make in a year. We’ll also compare ML salaries at Google with other top technology companies. Here’s what we’ll cover in this article:
- What do ML engineers at Google do?
- Qualifications for ML engineers at Google
- Google Machine Learning Engineer Salaries
- Additional benefits offered to ML engineers at Google
- Machine Learning Engineer Salaries - Google vs. Other FAANG Companies
- Get ready for your next ML interview
What Do Machine Learning Engineers at Google Do?
Machine Learning Engineers build AI algorithms to automate software systems and predictive models. An ML engineer also designs scalable solutions to increase the scope of these models and build inventive tools to track large-scale metrics.
Here’s what an ML engineer at Google typically does:
- Designs and builds scalable ML systems
- Develops AI algorithms to automate software systems and applications
- Enhances the performance of predictive models
- Designs the model’s architecture, interpreting metrics, and performing data pipeline interaction
Qualifications for ML Engineer Roles at Google
Here’s what Google typically looks for in applicants who apply for Machine Learning Engineer roles:
- A Master’s degree in Computer Science, IT, or a related field
- Proficiency in object-oriented programming languages and big data analytics
- Should be familiar with ML concepts such as Infrastructure Development, Application Development, Data Governance, and Data Engineering
Google Machine Learning Engineer Salaries
As mentioned earlier, Google is known to offer lucrative compensation packages and other rewarding benefits to ML engineers.
An ML engineer at Google typically draws an average base compensation of $128,910. Bonuses for ML roles average at $15,978, and stock options for ML roles (depending on the level of seniority) can go up to $127,820. The total average compensation of ML engineers at Google is $136,899.
Salary Components for Machine Learning Engineers at Google
- Base Compensation: The Base Compensation is the fixed component of your salary.
- Bonus: The bonus pay is tied to your performance and is paid out yearly
- Stock options: Stock units, which are Restricted Units (also known as Google Stock Units), have a vesting period of 4 years at Google. Stock options can be much higher for senior ML roles.
Additional Benefits Offered to ML Engineers at Google
In addition to annual compensation, below are some added benefits that ML engineers at Google enjoy:
- Insurance — health, dental, vision, disability, and life
- Paid breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Health savings account
- Transportation within and to the Google campus
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Paid vacations
- Flexible spending account
Machine Learning Engineer Salaries: Google vs. Other FAANG Companies
Below is a comparison of Machine Learning Engineer salaries at Google and other FAANG companies.
As you can see, the salaries for machine learning engineers at Google are at par with other FAANG companies, except Netflix. Netflix is known to pay higher salaries as it usually hires more experienced engineers for ML and related roles.
Get Started With Your Machine Learning Interview Prep
Interview Kickstart offers courses tailored specifically for ML interviews at top tech companies. To find out more about how we can help you, register for our free technical interview webinar.
IK is the gold standard in tech interview prep. Our programs include a comprehensive curriculum, unmatched teaching methods, FAANG+ instructors, and career coaching to help you nail your next tech interview.
Also, check out some student reviews to see how we’ve successfully helped thousands of engineers land dream offers at their favorite companies.