Facebook is one of the biggest technology companies and has the reputation of paying attractive compensation packages to engineers. It’s enriching culture and stimulating work environment makes it a coveted and highly attractive company for engineers who wish to scale-up their professional careers.
However, landing an offer with Facebook is significantly challenging, even for engineers who have several years of experience. Facebook hires for several roles, from front-end developers to data engineers. Among them, the Machine Learning Engineer roles are highly rewarding, both in terms of compensation as well as professional growth.
If you are preparing for a tech interview, check out our interview questions page and salary negotiation ebook to get interview-ready! Also read Facebook Interview Guide and Facebook Interview Questions for specific insights and guidance on Facebook tech interviews.
Having trained over 6,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Since 2014, Interview Kickstart alums have been landing lucrative offers from FAANG and Tier-1 tech companies, with an average salary hike of 49%. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $933,000!
In this article, we’ll look at the average salaries for Facebook Machine Learning Engineers and what makes the ML engineer roles so sought after in recent times.
Here’s what we’ll cover:
- What Does a Machine Learning Engineer Do at Facebook?
- Facebook Machine Learning Engineer Salaries
- Additional Benefits Offered to ML Engineers at Facebook
- Machine Learning Engineer Salaries: Facebook vs. Other FAANG Companies
What Does a Machine Learning Engineer Do at Facebook?
A Machine Learning Engineer typically designs and builds AI algorithms to automate certain models, usually predictive models. An ML engineer also builds scalable solutions and tools for these models to efficiently track data metrics. Typically, here's what the role of a Machine Learning Engineer entails:
- Designing and building ML algorithms and tools
- Designing scalable ML systems
- Performing statistical analysis on data sets
- Improving the performance of predictive models
- Leveraging big data and creating prototypes
- Using big data tools to analyze massive datasets through ML algorithms
Accordingly, to apply for a Machine Learning Engineer role at Facebook you must have the following qualifications:
- A Master’s degree in Computer Science, IT or a related field
- Proficiency in object-oriented programming languages and big data analytics
- Should be adept with machine learning frameworks
- Lead Machine Learning Engineer roles typically require 10+ years of industry experience
Facebook Machine Learning Engineer Salaries
Facebook Machine Learning engineer base salaries fall in the range between $184,240 and $206,190, according to levels.fyi. The total compensation for ML engineers falls between $199,290 and $232,600.
This means, for ML Engineers at Facebook:
- Average base salary is $192,240
- Average total compensation is $210,470
What are the salary components for Machine Learning Engineers at Facebook?
- Base Compensation: The base compensation or base salary is the fixed salary you’ll earn as part of your role. If you receive a salary increase, it is the base compensation that increases.
- Bonus: The bonus is a component offered on top of your base compensation, and is often tied to your performance. Bonuses can range from 10% to upwards of 30% of your base salary.
- Stock Options: Facebook offers Restricted Stock Units that are subject to a vesting period, typically stretching up to 4 years.
Additional Benefits Offered to ML Engineers at Facebook
In addition to the compensation, here are some additional benefits that are offered to ML engineers at Facebook, which makes Facebook one of the most popular companies among engineers:
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance
- Wellness reimbursements
- Maternity and paternity benefits
- Support for family planning that includes adoption assistance and surrogacy assistance
- Retirements plans and tax consultation
- Life insurance
- Legal support
- 30-day paid break every five years
Machine Learning Engineer Salaries: Facebook vs. Other FAANG Companies
Here’s a quick comparison of Machine Learning Engineer salaries at Facebook and other FAANG companies. All figures reflect the average compensation for Machine Learning Engineers in the US.
Facebook and Netflix are known to pay the highest salaries for Machine Learning roles. Netflix mostly hires more experienced engineers (8+ years) when compared to other companies, explaining why it offers the highest machine learning salaries among FAANG companies.
Get Ready for Your ML Engineer Interview at Facebook
Looking to crack Facebook’s technical interview? Interview Kickstart offers a comprehensive technical interview training program specifically tailored for Machine Learning Engineers to help you prepare for tech interviews at FAANG and other tier-1 companies.
Register for our FREE webinar to learn how to nail your next interview!