Top Tanium Software Engineer Interview Questions You Should Practice
Tanium is rapidly changing how leading companies worldwide protect themselves from the ever-present cyber threats. The company’s engineering team plays a vital role in helping them achieve this feat.
To reserve your spot on this team, you’ll need to crack the Tanium software engineer interview questions. We have put together all the information you’ll need to get started to simplify the process. We’ve got it all from what the role includes, the qualifications you’ll need, and some sample questions.
Having trained over 11,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the most challenging tech interviews. Our alums consistently land offers from FAANG+ companies. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $1.267 Million!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
To help you crack the Tanium software engineer interview questions, in this article, we'll be covering:
- An Overview of Tanium
- What Does a Tanium Software Engineer Do?
- Qualifications and Skills Needed to Become a Tanium Software Engineer
- Tanium Software Engineer Interview Questions
- FAQs on Tanium Software Engineer Interview Questions
An Overview of Tanium
Tanium is changing how leading companies across industries manage and secure their networks against the ever-increasing cyber threats. This is why 6 of the top 10 retailers, 12 of the 15 US banks, and many other major companies use Tanium.
The company provides super-fast features to their fingertips so that they can see everything and do anything across any of their computer networks. What’s more, they can do so at an unparalleled scale.
Tip: Before appearing for the Tanium interviews, they can see everything and thoroughly read up on the company, its core values, and mission. Many Tanium software engineer interview questions in the behavioral round are based on them.
What Does a Tanium Software Engineer Do?
As a software engineer at Tanium, you’ll be focusing on Cloud technologies to build and maintain the company’s products and infrastructure. You’ll be a part of a great development team, and your responsibilities will include:
- Create and maintain the company’s cloud products and services since you’ll be a part of the development team.
- Carry out intuitive front ends for internal applications and those used by customers.
- Create backend microservices using well-defined APIs.
- Work taking the help of data stores, caches, message buses, and other server-side technology.
- Craft automated unit tests, API tests, integration tests and ensure that the quality is maintained.
- Write technical documents and artifacts for developed software.
So essentially, the Tanium software engineer interview questions will be aimed at determining how proficiently you’ll be able to handle these tasks.
Qualifications and Skills Needed to Become a Tanium Software Engineer
To work at Tanium as a software engineer, you’ll need to have the following qualifications and skills:
- A bachelor’s degree or relevant experience.
- A CS degree or related technical field is preferred.
- Over two years of industry experience.
- Experience building high-performance, scalable, supportable, and maintainable backend services, and APIs.
- Experience using React or similar front-end technologies.
- Experience with HTTP API design and development, including REST and/or GraphQL.
- Experience using AWS or other cloud platforms.
- Experience using modern software engineering development and automation tools like git and CI/CD pipelines.
So as you prepare for the Tanium software engineer interview questions, make sure that you brush up on all the topics listed above.
Tanium Software Engineer Interview Questions
Some Tanium software engineer interview questions you can expect are:
- To qualify for this role, we prefer that our candidates have an education in computer science or a related field. So can you take me through your post-secondary education as well as training?
- In the public-key cryptography industry, what is meant by a public and private key? Do you know which key is used for which function?
- Differentiate between a threat, a risk, and a vulnerability. How will you go about gauging the severity of a risk?
- What is the difference between stored and reflected XSS and the common defenses against XSS?
- While our clients know a lot about cloud and network security, they aren’t clear about Endpoint security and its vulnerabilities in this area. How would you describe it to them so that they understand the threat?
- What do you think about Blockchain technology? Further, how do you think it can revolutionize cyber security?
- What is meant by encoding, encryption, and hashing? How do they work, and what are the key differences between the three?
- According to you, what’s the primary goal of information security for an organization? Explain its importance.
- Research is the backbone of everything we do at Tanium. Why do you think it’s important to conduct research before beginning a project? Or are you someone who would rather jump right in?
- What has been your most outstanding work-related achievement?
- Differentiate between symmetric and public-key cryptography. Explain their importance to the encryption technology.
- What are your favorite security assessment tools, and what qualities make them your favorite?
- What is your understanding of this role and the responsibilities that accompany it?
- In today's world, most devices using either a private or public network are mobile, including laptops, tablets, and cell phones. What do you think a company should do to protect its IT network from mobile threats and risks?
- At Tanium, we always work towards staying one step ahead of our competition. How do you think you’ll be contributing to this?
These are the sort of questions you can expect in the Tanium software engineer interview. So while preparing, ensure that you are ready to answer such questions.
FAQs on Tanium Software Engineer Interview Questions
Q1. How to get hired by Tanium?
To get hired by Tanium as a software engineer, you’ll have to cross the various rounds of their interview process. So brush up on your computer science fundamentals. Also, don’t forget to prepare for behavioral questions.
Q2. What degree do you need to become a software engineer at Tanium?
To work as a software engineer at Tanium, you’ll need a relevant bachelor’s degree. A CS degree or related technical field is preferred.
Q3. Is Tanium an excellent company to work for?
Tanium is a good company to work for and ranks among the top workplaces in the tech industry. It was included in FORTUNE Magazine's Best Workplaces in Technology, Best Workplaces in the Bay Area, and 100 Best Workplaces for Millennials in 2020.
Q4. How long does Tanium take to reply after an interview?
While there is no set time limit, you can expect a reply from the company within 2-3 weeks after completing the last in-person interview.
Q5. What are some behavioral Tanium software engineer interview questions?
Some behavioral questions you can expect — Why do you want to work at Tanium? What is your understanding of this role and the responsibilities that accompany it? What has been your greatest work-related achievement?
Need Help Preparing for the Tanium Software Engineer Interview?
Interview Kickstart offers interview preparation courses taught by FAANG tech leads and seasoned hiring managers. We have trained thousands of software engineers to crack the toughest interviews at Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix, and other top tech companies.
Register for our FREE webinar to learn more!