Rubrik Interview Questions for Software Engineers
Rubrik has a competitive interview process that extensively evaluates your coding and design skills. Across multiple rounds, recruiters test your programming skills through Rubrik interview questions on object-oriented programming concepts, core data structures and algorithms, and distributed systems.
Most Rubrik interview questions in coding are akin to medium-to-hard level problems on Leetcode. As for design interviews, which come later in the Rubrik interview process, your knowledge of core design and systems concepts is evaluated.
Rubrik is a cloud-based data management company that offers cloud computing and data solutions to companies that have adopted hybrid cloud environments. The company has a turnover of approximately $600 million and is one of the fastest-growing companies in this space.
Having trained over 11,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the most challenging tech interviews. Our alums consistently land offers from FAANG+ companies. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $1.267 Million!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar
Let’s go ahead and look at some Rubrik interview questions in coding, system coding, and systems design. We’ll also look at some Rubrik behavioral interview questions, followed by a few tips to keep in mind during your prep journey.
Here’s what we’ll cover in this piece:
- Rubrik Interview Questions on Core DSA and System Coding
- Rubrik Interview Questions on Systems Design
- Rubrik Behavioral Interview Questions
- Tips to Crack Your Next Rubrik Interview
- FAQs on Rubik Interview Questions
Rubrik Interview Questions on Core Coding
Coding is a crucial part of the Rubrik technical interview process. Questions are primarily around system coding, programming concepts, and core data structures and algorithms.
There are usually 2-3 coding interview rounds at the Rubrik interview. The first two rounds are technical screening rounds, where hiring managers will ask you to solve 1-2 core DSA or programming problems and implement the code on an interviewing tool or a shared doc. The final coding round usually happens during the in-person interview.
Following are the important concepts to prepare for the system coding and programming interviews at Rubrik.
Core DSA concepts:
- Arrays, strings, and linked lists
- Trees and graphs
- Sorting algorithms — quicksort, merge sort, heap sort, etc.
- Dynamic programming
- Graph algorithms, including greedy algorithms
Programming and system coding concepts:
- Binding and Encapsulation
Sample Rubrik Interview Questions on System Coding and DSA
- Write a program to reverse a singly Linked List
- Write a program to find the missing element in a 2Dimensional integer array
- Write a program to calculate the height of a given binary tree
- Write a program to implement a recursive function to remove the nth node from a singly linked list
- Write a function to find the level-order traversal for a given binary tree
- Write a program to connect the nodes that have the same vertical distance in a graph
- Write a code to print the top view of a binary tree
- Write a program to find if a binary tree is a binary search tree or not
- Write a program to return all the permutations for a given string
- Write a program to delete duplicate characters in a string
- What do you understand by Concurrency
- Give an example of how polymorphism is used in OOP
- Explain with examples the two types of Polymorphism
- What do you understand by BlockingQueue
- What is ConcurrentHashMap, and what is its main function?
To practice more Leetcode problems for your interview along with problem solutions, check out the Problems Page.
Rubrik Interview Questions on Systems Design
Rubrik interview questions on systems design are typically asked during the in-person interview. Recruiters don’t expect you to be excellent at design if you’re applying to developer positions. However, senior and managerial positions give more importance to systems design interviews.
As for the essential topics to prepare, they include:
- API modeling
- Servers and databases
- Scalable systems
- Systems design case studies
- Network protocols
Sample Rubrik Interview Questions on Systems Design
- What security aspects will you consider while building a shared database on the cloud?
- How would you go about designing a chatbot service?
- What aspects will you consider while designing a scalable data application?
- What network aspects will you consider while designing a distributed system?
- Explain the design behind platforms like Facebook and Instagram
Check out the System Design Interview Preparation Tips article to learn the best way to answer such interview questions.
Rubrik Behavioral Interview Questions
Behavioral interviews, which are typically conducted by Engineering Managers and Directors of Engineering, mainly seek to test your professional attitude and behavioral traits in a professional setting. The questions are about work-life balance, professional and personal challenges, past projects, and your reaction to workplace-related situations.
While answering these types of questions, employing the STAR method is the best. The STAR method mainly uses real-life examples to approach behavioral interview questions.
Sample Rubrik Behavioral Interview Questions
- Tell us what you learned from the most challenging project you worked on.
- Why do you want to work at Rubrik?
- How do you manage stressful situations at work?
- Tell us about a time when you disagreed with a superior.
- Tell us about a time when you had to make a big decision, but it wasn’t the right decision to make.
Tips to Keep in Mind for Your Rubrik Interview
Let’s look at some tips to keep in mind for your interview:
- Spend at least 10-12 weeks preparing for your interview.
- Practice at least 1-2 coding problems a day.
- Practice Coding on a Whiteboard. It will help you articulate better in your interview.
- Get good with Leetcode medium-to-hard level problems.
- Brush on core programming concepts like COncurrency and Multithreading.
- Practice Mock interviews with experts.
- Build a strong project portfolio.
- Spend at least a week preparing for your behavioral interview.
Following these cogent tips will set you apart from the competition and give you the best chance at landing that offer.
FAQs on Rubrik Interview Questions
Q1. How many screening rounds are there for software engineers in the Rubrik interview process?
The Rubrik interview process for software engineers usually has one or two remote interviews. These interviews are fundamentally coding interviews, but you can also expect a few designs and behavioral interview questions.
Q2. What is the average software engineer salary at Rubrik?
Rubrik’s average software engineer salary is $159,518, making it one of the highest-paying companies for software engineers.
Q3. How many rounds does the Rubrik on-site interview have?
The Rubrik on-site typically consists of 3 to 5 interview rounds. These include coding rounds, design rounds, and leadership interviews.
Q4. What are the important systems design topics to prepare for the Rubrik in-person interview?
The critical systems design topics to prepare include – network protocols, databases and servers, file systems, online processing systems, sharding techniques, concurrency, API modeling, and caching.
Q5. What type of behavioral interview questions can you expect at the Rubrik behavioral interview?
Rubrik behavioral interview questions are generally about – past projects, workplace ethics, stressful workplace situations, professional challenges, and work-life balance.
Get Ready for Your Next Technical Interview
If you want to crack your next Rubrik interview, register for our free technical interview webinar to find out how we can help you. Interview Kickstart is the gold standard in tech interview prep. Our programs include a comprehensive curriculum, unmatched teaching methods, FAANG+ instructors, and career coaching to help you nail your next tech interview.
Check out some reviews from our students to understand how we’ve shaped the careers of thousands of engineers by helping them land irresistible offers from the biggest tech companies.