Top MVC Interview Questions and Answers for You to Practice
MVC interview questions are crucial for your software or web application developer interviews. You must brush up on MVC basics and also prepare answers to the most anticipated MVC interview questions on design patterns, ASP.NET and Spring Framework, Razor View Engine, ViewData, ViewBag, TempData, and more.
Top tech companies have several positions for MVC developers, engineers, programmers, coders, architects, and consultants. Your scope of work will include everything from back-end to client-side coding. You should be adept at using optimal and efficient technologies, frameworks, and patterns to outperform the competition. Read on to discover the latest MVC interview questions and their most suitable answers to uplevel your tech interview prep.
If you are a software engineer, software developer, engineering manager, or tech lead, check out our technical interview checklist, interview questions page, and salary negotiation e-book to get interview-ready!
Having trained over 10,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Our alums consistently land offers from FAANG+ companies. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $1.267 Million!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
Here's what we'll cover in this article:
- Latest MVC Interview Questions and Answers
- MVC Interview Questions and Answers for 4 Years’ Experienced Developers
- MVC Interview Questions and Answers for 8 Years’ Experienced Developers
- MVC Interview Questions for Practice
- FAQs on MVC Interview Questions
Latest MVC Interview Questions and Answers
To crack the most challenging interviews, you should practice the following important MVC interview questions with answers.
Q1. What do you understand about MVC?
MVC stands for Model View Controller. You can use a software architecture pattern for effective web application development. In an MVC application, the components are:
- Model: It represents the application data domain that the program would use. Some examples of models in MVC are the database, a file, a simple object holding data such as the character of a game, and more. The application's business logic is contained within the model.
- View: It represents the user interface through which end users will communicate. It is a way of displaying objects within an application. The view contains all the user interface logic.
- Controller: It is responsible for updating both models and views as it accepts input from users and performs the equivalent update. It responds to user actions and contains the user input logic.
Q2. State a few benefits of using MVC.
This is one of the most commonly asked MVC interview questions. You must consider the following benefits while answering this question:
- Supports multiple views: The user interface (UI) has the capability to implement multiple views of the same data concurrently.
- SEO-friendly development: The MVC platform supports the SEO-friendly development of web applications or pages.
- Faster development: MVC provides parallel and rapid development, which allows you to act on the view while, in parallel, another programmer can work on creating the application's business logic while developing an application.
- Lightweight: Since the MVC framework does not utilize View State, it minimizes the requested bandwidth to a certain extent.
Q3. Enumerate the different MVC components and describe the role of each component.
The role of different MVC components is as follows:
- Presentation: The component deals with the visual representation of a particular abstraction in the web application.
- Control: This component manages the consistency and uniformity between the abstraction within the MVC system and their presentation to the user. It also communicates with other controls within the system.
- Abstraction: This component is the business domain functionality within the application.
Q4. What are the return types of controller action methods in MVC?
Controllers form an integral part of MVC interview questions. The return types of controller action methods are:
- Content Result
- View Result
- JSON Result
- Redirect Result
Q5. What are the limitations of the MVC model?
You should be well aware of the limitations of the MVC model to answer such MVC interview questions. Here are some major drawbacks of the MVC model:
- It has the inefficiency of data access in view.
- The MVC model pattern is complex.
- You will require multiple programmers for parallel development.
- It is not quite suitable for small applications.
- You will also need multiple technology knowledge.
Q6. What do you understand about the MVC Application life cycle?
A web application primarily has two execution steps:
- The first is understanding the request.
- The second is sending out an appropriate response depending on the type of the request.
The same applies to MVC applications that have two main phases –creating the request object and sending the response to the browser. There are four basic steps to create the request object:
Step 1: Fill route
Step 2: Fetch the route
Step 3: Create a request context
Step 4: Create a controller instance.
Q7. How are sessions of an MVC maintained?
The sessions are maintained in three possible ways:
- Temp data: It maintains the data when work shifts from one controller to another.
- View data: It maintains the data when we shift from a controller to a view within an application.
- View Bag: This acts as a dynamic wrapper around view data.
Q8. What are the different types of Views in MVC?
There are three types of views in MVC:
- User view: You use the page template to create this view.
- Master page view: You can use the template known as MVC2 to create a master page view. It has a default extension of .master.
- Partial view: It is the same as the user controller in asp.net.
Q9. What do you mean by a partial view of MVC?
A partial view is a portion of HTML carefully injected into an existing DOM. It is commonly implemented for componentizing Razor views. It makes them simpler to build and update. A controller method can also return the partial view directly.
Q10. What are the different logical layers of MVC?
This is one of the frequently asked basic MVC interview questions. There are three logical layers of MVC:
- Model logic or business layer
- View logic or display layer
- Controller logic or input control
Q11. What is the function of ActionFilters in MVC?
You can apply ActionFilters to a controller action or an entire controller for executing the logic while the MVC action is executed. It permits the implementation of pre and post-processing logic and action methods.
Q12. What steps will you follow to execute any MVC project?
This is one of the critical MVC interview questions that checks your basic understanding of the execution steps. You must elaborate on the following steps for executing an MVC project:
- You receive the first request for the application.
- Then perform routing.
- Next, you create the MVC request handler.
- The controller is created and executed.
- The action is invoked.
- Lastly, the results are executed.
Take a look at some Spring MVC Interview Questions to prepare better.
MVC Interview Questions and Answers for 4 Years’ Experienced Developers
You must go through the following MVC interview questions and answers for experienced developers to nail interviews for senior MVC programmer positions.
Q1. What do you understand about routing in MVC? What are the important segments of routing?
MVC routing is a pattern-matching scheme. You can use it for incoming mapping requests of browsers to a definite MVC controller action. The three important segments for routing are as follows:
MVC routes govern which controller method will be executed for a given URL. The properties of MVC routes are:
- The route name is the URL pattern used for mapping the handler.
- The URL pattern is another important property containing the literal values and variable placeholders.
- The default parameter value is assigned at the time of parameter creation.
- Constraints are used for applying against the URL pattern to precisely define the URL matching it.
Q2. How is the routing done in MVC?
The RouteCollection in MVC has a set of routes responsible for registering the routes in the application. The RegisterRoutes method helps record the routes in the collection. A route defines the URL pattern and a handler which checks the request matching the pattern.
The MVC routing consists of three parameters. The first parameter provides the name of the route. The second determines a specific pattern with which the URL matches and the third parameter provides default values for its placeholders.
Q3. What are the two approaches to implementing Ajax in MVC?
Ajax implementation forms an integral part of MVC interview questions. Here are the following two approaches to implementing Ajax in MVC.
Q4. How is ActionResult different from ViewResult?
The following table enumerates the differences between ActionResult and ViewResult:
It is an abstract class, i.e., it has methods and variables without the implementation body of instruction.
It is derived from an abstract class.
It is best if you want to derive different types of views dynamically.
It is not so effective if you wish to derive different types of views dynamically.
It has several derived classes like JsonResult, ViewResult, and FileStreamResult.
It does not have its own derived class.
Q5. What are the different stages of a page life cycle of MVC?
The major steps that define the page life cycle are as follows:
- App initialization
- Instantiate and execute controller
- Locate and invoke controller action
- Instantiate and render view
Q6. What is Spring MVC?
Spring MVC is one of the most important topics for MVC interview questions, and the interviewer might put up several questions related to Spring MVC. The sample questions section will provide some important MVC interview questions.
Spring MVC is a Java-based framework that provides a Model View Controller architecture in the application in addition to ready components implemented for developing adaptable web applications. It utilizes all the elementary traits of a core Spring Framework such as dependency injection, integration with other frameworks, lightweight, inversion of control, and more. Spring MVC uses DispatcherServlet to implement MVC in Spring Framework.
MVC Interview Questions and Answers for 8 Years’ Experienced Developers
If you are preparing for senior positions, you must practice the following MVC interview questions on scaffolding, error handling, and other vital topics.
Q1. What is the execution order of filters if multiple filters are implemented?
The filter order will be as follows if you implement multiple filters:
- Firstly, the authorization filters.
- Action filters
- Response filters
- Lastly, the exception filters.
Q2. How is error handling done in MVC?
You can use exception handling to deal with MVC errors, whether it is a Windows Forms application or a web application.
The HandleError attribute helps in providing built-in exception filters and is functional over the action method and controller at its global level. You can override the "OnException" event in the controller. You can set the "Result" to the view name you want to invoke when an error occurs.
Q3. What is Scaffolding in MVC?
Scaffolding is an ASP.NET code-generation framework for web applications. You can use it to develop MVC applications to rapidly enhance the code that intermingles with the application's data model. It can reduce the quantity of time for developing a standard data operation in the web application.
Q4. What is Razor View Engine? What are the possible file extensions used for razor views?
Razor View engine is a markup syntax that helps you write HTML and server-side code in web pages using C# or VB.NET.
The file extensions for razor views are:
- .cshtml: You can use this when your MVC application is using C#.
- .vbhtml: This is suitable when your MVC application uses VB for programming.
Q5. What is RenderBody and RenderPage of MVC?
RenderBody is a ContentPlaceHolder of web forms available on the layout page. It is responsible for rendering the child pages/views. The layout page has a single RenderBody() method, while multiple RenderPage() can reside within the layout page.
MVC Interview Questions for Practice
- How does Spring MVC integrate with Spring Boot?
- What is the flow of the Spring MVC application?
- What are the different approaches to adding constraints to an MVC route?
- What is an InternalResourceViewResolver in Spring MVC?
- What are the GET and POST Action types?
- What is ADO.NET?
- What are code blocks in views?
- How would you navigate from one view to another using a hyperlink?
- What is a glimpse in NuGet packages?
- How is 3-tier architecture different from MVC Architecture?
This completes the list of important MVC interview questions that will uplevel your next tech interview prep.
FAQs on MVC Interview Questions
Q1. What are the important skills required to ace MVC interview questions?
You should be proficient in C#, Visual Basic, .NET, ASP.NET MVC applications. Your knowledge of Entity Framework ADO.NET can also give you an upper hand in the interviews. Top tech companies seek MSSQL, MySQL, Oracle, and other RDBMS expertise. You must check out the official job description for specific skills that the position demands.
Q2. How do I prepare for MVC interview questions?
You must focus on the most important topics such as ASP.NET and Spring Framework, Razor View Engine, ViewData, ViewBag, TempData and practice answering the most anticipated MVC interview questions on them. You can also enroll in mock interviews to learn how to answer the most challenging MVC interview questions and get experts' guidance.
Q3. Which programming language is best for solving coding MVC interview questions?
The default language used in MVC is C#. However, you can use your own specific programming languages, including Ruby on Rails, .NET, Java, amongst others, for solving MVC interview questions.
Q4. Which client-side frameworks are important for MVC interviews?
You should be familiar with the popular client-side frameworks such as jQuery, Angular, and React. You must check out the official job description to check if the company has specified some framework or version in particular.
Q5. Is having a master's degree essential to crack MVC developer interviews?
You can work as an MVC developer even with a bachelor's degree and upgrade your skills. However, for better career prospects, having a master's degree may be useful.
Gear Up for Your Next Tech Interview
To crack the most challenging MVC interviews, you must demonstrate your problem-solving, solution design, and high-quality coding skills. Preparing strategically for technical interviews, especially the challenging ones, steers you on the path to becoming a better software professional with improved skills. You become more confident at taking and cracking interviews. Register for our technical interview webinar to learn how to ace your tech interview prep.
At Interview Kickstart, we've trained thousands of engineers to land lucrative offers at the biggest tech companies. Our instructors, who are FAANG hiring managers, know what it takes to nail tough tech interviews at top technology companies.
Register for our FREE webinar to learn more.