Capital One Interview Questions
With the right amount of preparation, you can certainly breeze through Capital One’s interview questions and its interview process. Capital One is a leading American bank specializing in a number of financial products such as credit cards, auto loans, banking, and savings accounts. It has been at the forefront of transforming banking and payment systems through technology.
Capital One is a tech-forward company that constantly innovates the banking experience for their customers using technology. So naturally, tech teams are one of the key verticals at Capital One who help develop capabilities, tools, and infrastructure to help the customers.
Having trained over 13,500 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Our alums consistently land offers from FAANG+ companies. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $1.267 Million!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
In this article, we will look at the sample questions that you may expect during your Capital One interview. Here’s what we will cover in this guide:
- Capital One interview questions for freshers
- Capital One interview questions for experienced professionals
- Capital One behavioral interview questions and answers
- Capital One online interview questions
- Capital One data engineer interview questions
- Capital One data scientist interview questions
- Frequently asked questions about Capital One
Capital One Interview Questions for Freshers
Here are some Capital One interview questions for freshers:
- What is white box testing?
- You are given an array “ARR” of “N” positive integers. You need to find the minimum number of operations needed to make all elements of the array equal. You can perform addition, multiplication, subtraction, or division with any element on an array element.
- What is super class in Java? Explain with an example.
- What is the OSI layer? Explain in detail.
- What are modes in CN? Explain in short.
- What is multiprogramming?
- Compare multitasking, multithreading, multiprocessing, and multiprogramming.
- What is a relational database? When do you use it?
- What is the latest version of Oracle?
- What is height in BST proportional to?
Capital One Interview Questions for Experienced Professionals
Listed below are 10 questions you can expect during the Capital One interview for experienced professionals:
- Suppose you are a product manager at a bank. The CTO approaches you to incorporate Alexa into the product offering. How would you respond?
- How to improve daycare search processes?
- Explain the differences between OOP and SOP?
- What is the difference between a hash map and a set?
- What are cohesion and coupling?
- Explain the differences between deep learning and machine learning.
- How many queues do the priority queue consist of? How is it implemented?
- How many traversals are there in a tree? Explain all with algorithms.
- Why is BST better than binary tree?
- What are compiler and interpreter?
Capital One Behavioral Interview Questions and Answers
When preparing for your Capital One interview, don’t forget to practice behavioral interview questions. Here are some sample interview questions to help you with your prep.
1. Tell us about a stressful situation you faced in the workplace and how you successfully navigated through the situation?
Questions like these aim to assess how you will be able to handle the stress that you may face once hired. So pick a situation that was really trying for you and try to highlight how it impacted you. Talk about what you did to work through the situation. Make sure to highlight your strengths that come in handy while dealing with a situation like this so that the hiring managers know that you are calm through stressful situations.
2. Are you good at multitasking? Give us some examples.
Multitasking is one of the potential skills every employee should possess. Use the STAR method to identify a situation where you had to put your multitasking skills to use. Describe the task you were assigned, the action you took, and the results you received.
One of the best things to highlight while responding to these questions is to show you handle multiple deadlines, tasks, and requests. The answer should tell the interviewer that as a professional, you are only focused on quality and only quantity.
Instead of identifying a specific style, talk about how you can adapt to different situations and navigate through situations.z4. Discuss the schemas in data modeling.
There are two: Star schema and snowflake schema.
Star schema has a fact table and the dimension table. It is the simplest data mart schema style. The snowflake schema is an extension of the star scheme, which can add additional dimensions.
4. Discuss the framework of Apache Hadoop.
Apache Hadoop is based on the MapReduce algorithm used for processing a huge data set. Map filters and sorts the data while Reduce summarizes the data.
More Capital One Behavioral Interview Questions
Here are some more behavioral interview questions you can expect at Capital One:
- Why do you want to work at Capital One?
- Have you worked with a difficult client? How did you handle it?
- What are your biggest strengths and weaknesses?
- What is the best way to motivate someone?
- When was the last time you learned something new?
- Do you have experience working in a cross-functional team?
- Tell us about a time you had to resolve a conflict in a team.
- Do you prefer working in small teams or large teams?
- What is your ideal work environment, and who is the ideal manager?
- How will you impact the team once you join?
Capital One Online Interview Questions
Below, we have listed 10 Capital One online interview questions:
- Tell me about yourself.
- What do you know about Capital One?
- Why Capital One?
- Explain how creditwise generates revenue for a company.
- What do you know about cloud, and why is it beneficial to a company?
- Given a number “n,” write a program to get the sum of all prime numbers from 0 to n.
- Have you ever failed to deliver a product or service? What did you learn?
- Tell us about a time you had to solve a complex problem. How did you go about it?
- What would you say is the biggest mistake you have ever made?
- What would you do if you saw someone fraudulently taking out money from the bank?
Capital One Data Engineer Interview Questions
Take a look at some of the data engineer interview questions you could you asked at Capital One:
- Do you know what the main types of data models are?
- How would you begin the development of a new product working as a data engineer?
- What is overfitting?
- Why are neural networks chosen as a default model?
- Design a data warehouse for managing inventory.
- Define respective components of HDFS and YARN.
- What is the command to format the NameNode?
- What are the steps to transform unstructured data into structured data?
- If the volume of data is rapidly increasing, what will you do to add more capacity to the existing architecture?
- What is Hadoop? Name the main components of Hadoop.
Check out the Data Engineering Interview Course to crack your data engineering interview.
Capital One Data Scientist Interview Questions
Listed below are 10 Capital One data scientist interview questions:
- What is logistic regression? What is the loss function in LR?
- Define evaluation metrics.
- What is Confusion Matrix?
- What are Type 1 and Type 2 errors? In which scenarios do the Type 1 and Type 2 errors become significant?
- Differentiate between normalization and standardization.
- What do you understand about Ensemble Learning?
- What is the Unsupervised Clustering approach?
- What do you understand by bias-variance trade-off?
- How will you proceed to select a sample from a product user population randomly?
- If you are asked to resolve business problems related to a product, what metrics would you assess?
Check out the Data Science Interview Course to crack your data science interview.
FAQs on Capital One Interview
1. What is the average salary at Capital One?
Based on our research, the average annual salary of an entry-level software engineer is $122k, whereas a senior software engineer can expect $147k a year.
2. How many interview rounds are there at Capital One?
Typically, there are four rounds:
- Resume and cover letter submission
- Pre-interview online assessment tests
- First interview
- Final round on-site interviews
3. What are the benefits offered by Capital One to its employees?
The specific benefits depend on the role you are applying for. Here’s an overview of the benefits generally offered:
- Low- or no-cost primary, urgent, or specialty care, virtual or on-campus.
- Reimbursement for tuition, textbooks, and eligible course fees, to continue your education.
- Standard life and loss protection, plus the option to increase coverage.
- A 7.5% contribution to 401(k) account
- Paid time off
- Corporate and floating holidays
4. Are Capital One Interview Questions difficult to crack?
You are likely to have to be able to explain difficult concepts to your interviewers and perform consistently across multiple interview rounds. But if you know the fundamental concepts, you won’t find it too challenging to ace the interview.
5. How to prepare for Capital One Interview Questions?
Browsing through sample Capital One Interview Questions and practicing with ex-interviewers from Capital One can also help you feel prepared ahead of D-Day.
Ready to Ace Your Capital One Interview?
If you aspire to pass the technical interview at Capital One with flying colors, look no further. Interview Kickstart is here to help software engineers to realize their dreams.
With instructors from FAANG+ companies and solid course curriculum, Interview Kickstart has emerged as the gold standard of tech interview prep. We know exactly what it takes to impress the hiring managers and tech leads during tech interviews.
Want to learn more? Sign up now to uplevel your career!