Walmart plays a vital role in shaping the future of technology, retail, finance, and many other industries by assisting people in making more economical and sustainable decisions. If you want to work as a software engineer at Walmart, your work will impact millions of people.
And, because Walmart is one of the top revenue-generating companies, you can expect a competitive software engineer salary package. Aside from that, the perks, overall work environment, and incredible virtual work culture are all added bonuses.
Having trained over 12,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the most challenging tech interviews. Our alums consistently land offers from FAANG+ companies. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $1.267 Million!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
You’ll have to keep a few things in mind when considering the Walmart software engineer salary package. In this article, we’ll cover:
- What Does a Walmart Software Engineer Do?
- Skills Required to Become a Walmart Software Engineer
- Average Walmart Software Engineer Salary
- Walmart Software Engineer Salary at Different Levels
- Benefits of Working at Walmart
- FAQs on Walmart Software Engineer Salary
What Does a Walmart Software Engineer Do?
As a Walmart software engineer, you’ll be working closely with data scientists, business partners, and systems engineers to lead the development and implementation of a series of analytics tools and applications to improve the company’s software operations.
The work primarily focuses on improving the technology and giving the customer a better retail experience. As Walmart is also working on developing a predictive intelligence platform, you’ll be using several tools, from traditional web applications to visualization tools, to help data scientists and business users get valuable insights into the whole process.
Your responsibilities and day-to-day tasks differ based on your role, team, and experience. But some of these responsibilities include:
- Understand each part of an e-commerce application and systems infrastructure and services
- Develop and manage tools for deployment, monitoring, and operations
- Write code for the automaton of recurring or manual tasks
- Consistently research the existing systems to come up with better and automated ways of minimizing and resolving issues
- With the help of tracking, analytics, and ad hoc reporting, work on the improvement of systems and applications
- Collaborate with business partners and give them accurate analytics that’ll help them in making the correct business decision
The Walmart software engineer salary package also differs based on the work that you do. So be prepared to take on not just these but several other tasks as well.
If you’re curious about their interview process, read Walmart Interview Process for Software Engineers.
Skills Required to Become a Walmart Software Engineer
To become a software engineer at Walmart, you’ll need to have these skills:
- Programming knowledge of Java 8, Shell Scripting, and Mobile SDK (+)
- Understanding of SQL and no-SQL databases such as MS SQL, MongoDB, Azure SQL, Cassandra, and so on
- Knowledge of data, caching, and experience with messaging tiers such as Kafka
- Experience with monitoring and alerting tools such as Kibana and Splunk
- Experience running infrastructure using public or private cloud environments and platforms such as Azure, Dockers, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field
- A Master’s degree will depend on the post you are applying for
While these were just a few skills, they might change or increase in number depending on the profile you have applied for.
Average Walmart Software Engineer Salary
The average Walmart software engineer salary package amounts to $139,375 per year, which is 30% more than the national average (as per indeed.com). Meanwhile, Walmart's senior software salary is around $126,386 per year.
Here’s how salaries at Walmart compare to other top tech companies:
Walmart Software Engineer Salary at Different Levels
The Walmart software engineer salary range is decided based on the level at which the engineer enters the company. Therefore, Walmart software engineer salaries based on the different levels are:
Benefits of Working at Walmart
Apart from the competitive Walmart software engineer salary packages, there are a many benefits of working at Walmart. Some of these are:
- Quarterly bonus
- Employee discount
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid time off, and many more.
Start preparing for the company's interview now to avail of these and all the other benefits. Walmart believes in a fair hiring process and has divided the process into three parts — online assessment, technical interview rounds, and HR rounds.
Each is an elimination round; you’ll need to clear all of them to get hired. Have a thorough understanding of at least one programming language, and don’t forget to brush up on topics such as Operating systems (OS), Object-Oriented Programming (OOPs), DataBase Management Systems (DBMS), and so on.
Here are some Walmart Interview Questions and Answers to get your prep started.
FAQs on Walmart Software Engineer Salary
Q1. What is Walmart's highest-paying job?
Software engineers are among the highest-paid employees in the company. On average, a Walmart software engineer makes $139,375 per year (as per indeed.com).
Q2. Is working at Walmart worth it?
Walmart employees generally give the company favorable reviews when it comes to the work environment. Further, since the company is gradually shifting towards a virtual work culture, several employees enjoy working from home.
Q3. How many software engineers work for Walmart?
Walmart has a team of over 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists, and other service professionals that are a part of the company’s 2.2 million workforces.
Q4. What do Walmart engineers do?
As a software engineer at Walmart, you’ll be a part of the team that designs the future of retail on a massive scale. Whether you’re a software engineer or mechanical engineer, your work will have an impact on millions.
Q5. What’s the salary of a senior software engineer at Walmart?
As per Indeed.com, a senior software engineer at Walmart makes around $126,386 per year on average.
Looking to Become a Software Engineer at Walmart?
If you’re looking for guidance as you prepare for the Walmart software engineer interview, sign up for our free webinar.
Interview Kickstart offers interview preparation courses taught by FAANG+ tech leads and seasoned hiring managers. We have trained thousands of software engineers to crack the most challenging interviews at Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix, and other top tech companies.