Back in 2009, Uber began to simplify people's lives by connecting the driver with the passenger. Fast forward to 2021, and Uber now has over 93 million customers (across the world) who use the platform for more than just ride-hailing and ride-sharing services, but also for food delivery, package delivery, freight transportation, and electric bicycle and scooter rental.
It is worthwhile to mention the company’s talented software engineers who play a crucial role in achieving this feat. They make it possible for Uber to help customers by writing testable code, building new features, and contributing to this Tier-1 tech company’s market growth.
That said, the company offers excellent career opportunities for aspiring or experienced software engineers. It also stands out for the compensation structure and benefits it provides to its employees. Nearly 78% of software engineers agree that they receive annual bonuses. Want to know more about Uber software engineer salary? If yes, keep reading.
Having trained over 6,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Since 2014, Interview Kickstart alums have been landing lucrative offers from FAANG and Tier-1 tech companies, with an average salary hike of 49%. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $933,000!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
Through this article, we will cover:
- What Does it Take to Become a Software Engineer at Uber?
- Uber Software Engineer Salary at Different Levels
- Top 4 Benefits of Being an Uber Software Engineer
- Uber Software Engineer Salary Across 5 Locations
- Salary of an Uber Software Engineer vs. Other Top Tech Companies
- Navigating the Interview Process at Uber (With Sample Questions)
- How to Prepare for the Interviews for Software Engineers at Uber?
What Does It Take to Become a Software Engineer at Uber?
The company offers varied roles, and each role comes with different responsibilities. Take a look at a few of them.
New Grad Software Engineer - Backend
In this case, you are expected to be proficient in determining algorithm complexity, problem-solving, and building scalable software architecture.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, or Engineering, etc.
- In-depth knowledge in Java, Python, C/C++, Go, Ruby, and more.
- Ability to work as a team member and possessing a strong sense of responsibility towards work.
Senior Software Engineer II
As a senior software engineer at Uber, you will develop high-quality codes using languages like Java and Go. You will also be responsible for leading the company's cross-functional initiatives.
Here are some other responsibilities that you need to carry out as a senior software engineer II:
- Work on difficult problems like data storage, JVM performance, ranking, and others.
- Must work on architecture design, algorithm, and deliver optimum software systems and more.
- Over 8 years of working experience in high-quality software development.
- Degree of BS or MS in Computer, Information Science, or Engineering.
- Experience in one or more programming languages like Python, C++, Java, and Go.
- In-depth working knowledge in storage systems and distributed search. For instance, Apache Lucene, Elastisearch, Kafka, and Apache Solr.
- Working experience in developing scalable products using strict SLAs.
- Expertise in machine learning is preferable.
Uber Software Engineer Salary at Different Levels
According to Comparably, the average Uber software engineer earns $159,263 annually.
Here’s a breakdown of each salary component of Uber software engineers:
- Total annual income is the total compensation of Uber's software engineers, consisting of all the components.
- The base is the standard or the minimum salary you will earn per annum as a software engineer at Uber.
- Bonus refers to the additional benefits that Uber offers to its software engineers. It differs with each level.
- Stock refers to the stock options offered to software engineers based on their performance.
Now, let’s take a look at the Uber software engineer salary at different levels:
According to Comparably, the average salary of a software engineer at Uber is about $52,129 more than the US average for a software engineer.
Top 4 Benefits of Being an Uber Software Engineer
Approximately 84% of the software engineers at Uber are satisfied with the benefits the company offers. Here is the list of some of the most lucrative benefits that a software engineer at Uber enjoys:
Insurance, Health, and Wellness:
- Health insurance
- Vision insurance
- Dental insurance
- Life insurance 3 times the annual compensation
- Maternity leave
- Paternity leave
- The office space is suitable for pet owners
- Free breakfast, lunch, and dinner (5 days a week)
- Free snacks and drinks
- On-site mother's room
- Unlimited personal and vacation days
- Flexibility in remote working
- Phone bill reimbursement ($50 per month)
- Gym reimbursement ($68 per month)
- 401(k), Roth 401(k), and Mega Backdoor Roth IRA
- Financial assistance during retirement
- Employee stock purchase program
- Monthly employee credit of $197
- Employee discount of 17% on Uber rides
Uber Software Engineer Salary in Top 5 Locations
Headquartered in San Francisco, California, Uber's offices are located in multiple cities of the United States. Here is the list of 5 top places where software engineers at Uber get a rewarding annual salary, as per Indeed:
As compared to the average salary earned by an Uber software engineer in other locations, the annual income of an employee working in the headquarters is substantially higher.
Salary of an Uber Software Engineer vs. Other Top Tech Companies
If you are looking for a software developer job at a tech giant, you’ll want to first weigh your options. Here is a comparative list of 5 leading companies' annual compensation structures with Uber:
Though FAANG companies are known to offer higher compensations, the software engineer salaries at Uber are comparable to other tech giants, and hence is a good company to aim for if you’re looking to uplevel your career.
Navigating the Interview Process at Uber (Sample Questions Included)
Landing a software engineer job at your dream company requires a tremendous amount of hard work and preparation. So, before moving ahead, let’s first take a look at what the interview process at Uber looks like:
Submit the application form along with your updated resume on the company's career site. After submission, the talent acquisition team will review your resume. If they think your profile matches the role, they will set up a technical phone screen.
Technical Phone Screen
In this round, a software engineer or engineering manager will interview you. Here, they will evaluate your:
- Overall personality
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of computer science
- Coding abilities
You may expect to solve questions on the following aspects in the coding round:
- String search problems
- String search manipulation
- Linked lists and more
You may also expect questions like, "How strong are you at solution scalability?"
In this round, you will use CodeSignal for a coding test.
After the coding round, the last 5 to 10 minutes of the interview are allocated to discussions about your past experiences. Expect questions like:
- How did you handle a situation when a colleague was not responsive to give you information?
- Tell me about your experience in resolving a technical disagreement with your team member.
In this round, you will have 5 back-to-back interviews, with 2 to 4 Uber employees at each panel. The 5-stage interview phase consists of:
- 2 coding rounds
- 1 software architecture round
- Lunch break
- Final interview with the recruiter
You will either use CodeSignal or whiteboard in the on-site interview, depending on the interviewer's choice.
After the interview, if Uber wants to extend its software engineering role to you, you will hear back from the recruiter.
How to Prepare for the Interview for Software Engineers at Uber?
Based on several previous employees' reviews, Indeed suggests that Uber interviews are easy. Regardless, only proper and smart strategies will advance your interview prep. Here are a few of our expert tips:
Rigorous Coding Practice
As per Uber, revise as much programming language as you can before the D-day. You can take help from the following sources:
- ACM-ICPC archive
- Cracking the coding interview
Your primary goal in the coding interview must be to create solutions. Also, focus on writing clear and concise codes that are easily understandable. Make sure not to impress your interviewer with the programming languages you are not familiar with.
Manage Your Time Efficiently
Set a time limit for coding practice. Take help from your peers to provide you with the feedback to advance your interview prep.
Also, take a step ahead to realize your dream of becoming a successful software developer at Uber with Interview Kickstart! Here are some of the benefits that you get from us:
- We have more than 50 technical coaches and instructors. They are the hiring members of FAANG and Tier-1 companies.
- You will receive personalized feedback to improve your interview skills.
- We conduct a structured interview prep phase to help you crack your next technical interview.
Want to know more? Join our free webinar now!
Communicate with Your Interviewer
Try to communicate with your interviewer and clarify any problems before you start coding. For instance, if you want to choose two different data structures, specify to your interviewer why you made that choice.
Are You Ready to Nail Your Uber Tech Interview?
Since its inception in 2014, Interview Kickstart has helped thousands of experienced engineers realize their true calling. We aim to help engineers get better acquainted with the intricacies of their chosen field and provide them with all the guidance they need to clear interviews with tech giants.
Knowing very well that clearing an interview requires much more than sound technical knowledge, we train you in a manner that helps you develop a winner's stride. IK is your golden ticket to land the job you deserve.
Want to learn more? Sign up for our FREE webinar on How to Nail Your Next Tech Interview.
FAQs on Uber Software Engineer Salary
1. What Is the average annual salary of Uber's software engineers in San Jose?
The average annual salary of Uber's software engineers in San Jose is $130,679.
2. What Is the average equity that a software engineer at Uber receives?
Uber's software engineers receive $10,000 as stock payment on average.