Roblox is one of the most popular gaming platforms that allows users to create games and also play games developed by other users. The platform hosts multiple games of different genres created by users from around the world. The primary programming language used on the platform is Lua, a multi-paradigm and lightweight language designed specifically for embedded use.
Software engineers at Roblox enjoy a rewarding career, making salaries anywhere between $221,000 and $1.22 million per annum. These salaries are significantly above the national average, making Roblox one of the highest-paying companies in the US.
If you’re a software engineer, coding engineer, software developer, engineering manager, or tech lead preparing for tech interviews, check out our technical interview checklist, interview questions page, and salary negotiation e-book to get interview-ready!
Having trained over 6,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Since 2014, Interview Kickstart alums have been landing lucrative offers from FAANG and Tier-1 tech companies, with an average salary hike of 49%. The highest-ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $933,000!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies. Our reviews will tell you how we’ve shaped the careers of thousands of professionals aspiring to take their careers to new heights.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
Through this article, we’ll discuss the salaries of software engineers at Roblox. We’ll also look at other benefits and perks that Roblox software engineers enjoy. Listed below are topics we’ll cover:
- Roles and responsibilities of a software engineer at Roblox
- Skills and qualifications required to apply for a software engineer role at Roblox
- Roblox software engineer salaries at different levels
- Additional benefits offered to software engineers at Roblox
- Stock options offered to software engineers at Roblox
- Roblox software engineer salaries vs. FAANG companies
Roles and Responsibilities of a Software Engineer at Roblox
The role of software engineers at Roblox covers a wide range of tasks and responsibilities. Here are the responsibilities in a gist:
- Develop new software both for internal teams and clients
- Work closely with product managers and data engineers to develop new applications
- Make iterations quickly and smoothly based on feedback received from users and clients
- Develop key gameplay elements for new and existing games
- Develop gaming software for a variety of games and applications
- Develop competitive, interactive, and e-sports gameplay features for new and existing games
- Brainstorm with other teams to create augmented experiences for users and improve engagement on the platform
- Work on various aspects in the software development lifecycle, including front-end and back-end development.
Skills and Qualifications Required to Apply for a Software Engineer Role at Roblox
Mentioned below are the qualifications and skills required to apply for software engineering positions at Roblox:
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in Computer Science or IT
- A good understanding of game creation and development
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in the field of game development
- Good exposure to creating gaming applications and optimizing applications for enhanced user experience
- Solid understanding of controls and performance in PC games
- Strong OOP skills
- Proven experience in developing gaming algorithms
Roblox Software Engineer Salaries at Different Levels
Take a look at the salary Roblox offers software engineers at different levels:
As seen in the table above, Roblox does offer hefty salaries to its software engineers. The company compensates its employees much more than the standard U.S. national average of $99,579 per annum. In fact, Roblox pays higher salaries than many other Tier-1 companies in the US.
Additional Benefits Offered to Software Engineers at Roblox
Software engineers at Roblox enjoy a bunch of other perks in addition to their annual compensation. Here are some benefits worth mentioning:
- Paid vacations
- Insurance benefits -- term, dental, vision, and medical
- Flexible spending account
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Retirement benefits
- Counseling services
- Recreational facilities
Stock Options Offered to Software Engineers at Roblox
Software engineers at Roblox enjoy stock options in the form of Restricted Stock Units that come with a vesting schedule of 4 years. Twenty-five percent of the RS units vest each year.
As the seniority of your position increases, you’re offered more in Restricted Stock Units and lesser in cash bonuses.
Roblox Software Engineer Salaries vs. FAANG Companies
As already mentioned, Roblox is known to pay lucrative salaries to software engineers. In fact, the average base salary of software engineers at Roblox is higher than Amazon, Google, and Facebook.
The table below compares the salaries of Roblox software engineers with other top tech companies.
As you can see, Google pays the highest average total salary to software engineers in the United States. Apple is known to offer the highest stock options, while Roblox and Amazon offer the highest cash bonus components.
Get Ready for Your Upcoming Roblox Interview
If your Roblox interview is just around the corner, register for our free webinar to understand the ways to crack challenging technical interviews at top tech companies.
Our team of experts with over 25 years of industry experience knows exactly what it takes to land lucrative offers at bi tech companies by nailing tech interviews.
Check out some of our reviews to learn more about how we’ve helped engineers land amazon offers from big tech companies.
FAQs on Roblox Tech Interviews
Q. What coding topics are important for the Roblox software engineer interview?
Coding questions asked at the interview are based on Data Structures and Algorithms. The following topics are important for the Roblox Technical interview:
- Arrays, strings, and linked lists
- Sorting algorithms — quicksort, merge sort, heap sort, etc.
- Hash tables and queues
- Trees and graphs
- Graph algorithms, including greedy algorithms
- Dynamic programming
Q. How many rounds does the Roblox Software engineer On-site interview have?
The Roblox On-site interview typically consists of 4 rounds. They are:
- One or two coding rounds, where you’re asked questions around Algorithms and core data structures. Questions are usually of moderate-hard difficulty.
- One or two systems design rounds (depending on the level of seniority of the position) that evaluate your knowledge of distributed scalable systems, especially from the context of gaming.
- A Domain interview round if you’re applying for a domain-specific role.
- A behavioral round