Nvidia Corporation was launched in 1993 and is headquartered in Santa Clara, California. Nvidia develops Graphic Processing Units (GPUs) for gaming and professional purposes. It also develops System on a Chip (SoC) units used in the mobile computing and automotive industries. Nvidia deals with high-end gaming utilities, visualization solutions, data centers, and automotive parts.
Naturally, the company is always on the lookout for talented software engineers and developers. In this article, we’ll delve into the following aspects of software engineering salaries at Nvidia:
- Nvidia Senior Software Engineer Salary by Level
- Nvidia Software Engineer Salary — Stock Options
- Software Engineer Salaries — Nvidia vs. Other Tech Companies
- Key Skills for Software Engineer Roles at Nvidia
- How to Become a Software Engineer at Nvidia
Nvidia Senior Software Engineer Salary by Level
Software engineer and software developer salaries at Nvidia are determined based on job role, seniority, and expertise. Base pay and total compensation vary according to job levels within the company.
Senior software engineers at Nvidia are paid in line with their experience and competence. Compensations increase considerably at higher levels of the software engineering ladder.
Our Salary Negotiation Guide for Software Engineers outlines how you can leverage your strengths to land lucrative offers.
According to Levels.fyi, Nvidia has 9 levels from IC1 (entry-level) to IC9 (Fellow). Outlined below are the average salaries software engineers and developers earn at each level:
Software Engineer - IC1 (entry-level)
- Total Annual Compensation: $160,000
- Base Salary: $126,000
- Stock: $25,000
- Bonus: $8,000
Software Engineer - IC2
- Total Annual Compensation: $177,000
- Base Salary: $ 140,000
- Stock: $32,000
- Bonus: $5,000
Software Engineer - IC3
- Total Annual Compensation: $226,000
- Base Salary: $165,000
- Stock: $59,000
- Bonus: $1,000
Software Engineer - IC4
- Total Annual Compensation: $306,000
- Base: $202,000
- Stock: $97,000
- Bonus: $6,000
Software Engineer - IC5
- Total Annual Compensation: $353,000
- Base: $223,000
- Stock: $124,000
- Bonus: $5,000
Principal Engineer - IC6
- Total Annual Compensation: $470,000
- Base: $275,000
- Stock: $183,000
- Bonus: $11,000
Nvidia Software Engineer Salary — Stock Options
Nvidia offers stock options in the form of Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) to software engineers. This varies based on levels.
RSUs that form a part of the salary package are subject to a 4-year vesting schedule, i.e., 25% of the total stock offered vests equally every year over four years.
Benefits of Working at Nvidia
Besides base pay and stock, salary packages or total compensation at Nvidia also include attractive benefits. Benefits provided to software engineers at Nvidia include the following:
- Health, Life, Vision, Pet Health
- Accidental and Dismemberment (AD&D)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Maternity and Paternity Leave
- Adoption Assistance
- Sick Time (unlimited)
- Transport Allowance
- Immigration Assistance
- Free Lunch, Snacks, Drinks
- Remote Work Opportunities
- Gym/Wellness Reimbursement
- Gender Neutral Bathrooms
Perks, Discounts, Retirement Benefits
- 401K (Retirement Benefit)
- Employee Stock Purchase
- Roth 401K, FSA (Flexible Spending Account)
- Employee Credit
- Employee Discount
- Tuition Reimbursement
Software Engineer Salaries — Nvidia vs. Other Tech Companies
Below is a comparative analysis between Nvidia and leading tech companies Google and Facebook (annual salaries paid to software engineers).
Annual Software Engineer Salaries (in USD)
Key Skills for Software Engineer Roles at Nvidia
Nvidia Corporation is a great career option for software engineers interested in gaming visualization, coding, API building, algorithms, designing artificial intelligence systems, cloud computing, and database implementation and management.
Salaries for software engineers at Nvidia are determined based on their technical and non-technical skills, among other factors.
Common skill requirements include:
- Knowledge in multiple programming languages such as C/C++/Java, etc.
- Knowledge of operating systems such as Windows, Linux, etc.
- Knowledge of robotics
- Proficiency in computing, mathematics, and other related fields
How to Become a Software Engineer at Nvidia
Nvidia is a major recruiter of software engineers and software developers in the tech industry.
Nvidia is a sought-after employer given its attractive salary packages, benefits, and career opportunities.
The company recruits different types of professionals, ranging from interns to senior experts.
How to Crack the Nvidia Software Engineer Technical Interview
A key determinant of salaries offered at Nvidia is a candidate’s interview performance.
Nvidia’s technical interviews for software engineers are competitive, following a similar format to that of industry leaders viz. FAANG companies.
Interview prep for the Nvidia tech interview should include:
- Problem-solving on core tech/computer science concepts
- Developing strong reasoning and analytical skills
- Deepening industry knowledge
Adopt a role-relevant approach when preparing for the interview to increase effectiveness.
At Interview Kickstart, we have devised proven interview prep strategies and tips to crack technical interviews.
Our team comprises hiring managers and tech leads from FAANG and other leading tech companies. It has helped engineers crack the toughest technical interviews to land top offers and negotiate lucrative salaries at their dream companies.
Connect with us today to learn all about how we can help you nail your next tech interview.
- Understanding Software Engineer Roles and Responsibilities
- How to Prepare for Technical Interviews
- Salary Negotiation Tips