Machine learning is one of the most common buzzwords in tech today, and machine learning engineers are now more in demand than ever. Naturally, machine learning engineers draw attractive salaries, earning between $110,000 and $220,000 per year in the US.
AI and machine learning jobs have grown by five times on average since 2013 (statista.com), and this number will only go up. With countless machine learning jobs worldwide in a myriad of domains, pursuing machine learning as your career choice can land you high-paying jobs.
If you are preparing for a tech interview, check out our technical interview checklist, interview questions page, and salary negotiation e-book to get interview-ready!
Having trained over 11,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Our alums consistently land offers from FAANG+ companies. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $1.267 Million!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
In this article, we'll go through everything you need to know about machine learning engineer salary. Here's what we'll cover:
- What Does a Machine Learning Engineer Do?
- Skills and Qualifications for a Machine Learning Engineer Job
- Machine Learning Engineer Salary in the US
- Machine Learning Engineer Salary by Experience Level
- Machine Learning Engineer Salary by Company
- Machine Learning Engineer Salary by City
- FAQs on Machine Learning Engineer Salary
What Does a Machine Learning Engineer Do?
The primary tasks of a coding engineer as a machine learning specialist mainly include:
- Creation of various machine learning models that analyze the data sets
- Computation of unknown parameters based on these models
Based on the company you work for, you may have different specific responsibilities. However, the most common responsibilities include:
- Designing and maintaining machine learning models.
- Implementing various machine learning algorithms and tools.
- Handling data sets.
- Verifying the data.
- Choosing the right data representation methods.
- Analyzing data sets to know more about the model performances.
- Creating model prototypes.
- Analyzing the statistics.
- Running machine learning tests.
- Improving models based on results.
- Enhancing the learning methods of the models.
- Extending machine learning libraries.
- Developing various applications that include machine learning for various clients.
Skills and Qualifications for a Machine Learning Engineer Job
Following are some of the skills and qualifications a software engineer should have to land a lucrative salary package in the machine learning field:
- Advanced mathematics concepts like statistics, linear algebra, and calculus.
- A degree in computer science, math, or statistics.
- A master's degree in machine learning, deep learning, or neural networks for experienced and advanced roles.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Software engineering skills.
- Some experience in data science, data structures, and data modeling.
- Coding in programming languages like Python, R, Java, and C++.
- Familiarity with machine learning frameworks, libraries, and packages.
- Good understanding of computer architecture.
Machine Learning Engineer Salary in the US
The average base salary of a Machine Learning engineer in the US is $131,001 (glassdoor.com).
Multiple factors determine a machine learning engineer's salary, including your experience level, company size, and location. For example:
In the following sections, we’ll look at how machine learning engineer salary varies based on experience, company, and location.
Machine Learning Engineer Salary by Experience Level
Here’s a breakdown of the salary you can expect as a machine learning engineer based on how many years of experience you have:
Machine Learning Engineer Salary by Company
Here’s a list of the best-paying companies for machine learning engineers:
How do FAANG companies pay in comparison? Let’s find out.
Machine Learning Engineer Salary by City
Here’s a list of cities in the US that offer the best machine learning engineer salary:
California is the place to be if you’re looking to earn the best salary as a Machine Learning Engineer. Other cities that pay higher than the industry average include Washington, New York, North Carolina, Virginia, Texas, and Utah. Indiana has the lowest reported salary for machine learning engineers (53% less than the average salary).
FAQs on Machine Learning Engineer Salary
Q1. Is machine learning future-proof?
As of 2022, Machine Learning is the future. The scope is forever increasing as Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence are finding their way into many modern-day applications, redefining the way businesses function over the last couple of decades. Yes, Machine Learning is future-proof.
Q. Have machine learning Jobs reached their saturation point?
The demand for Machine learning jobs is constantly on the rise, with the supply being extremely limited. Machine Learning jobs are quite a way away from reaching their “saturation point.”
Q. Do machine learning jobs pay well?
Absolutely - even if you’re hired as a low-level machine learning engineer in the US, you’ll still earn an average of $120,000. In comparison, the average American salary is $52,000.
Q. Is Machine Learning in Demand in the US?
Yes, absolutely. According to multiple platforms, it is the #1 among the best jobs in the US and cites a mammoth 344% growth rate.
Q. Is Machine Learning Worth Learning in 2022?
While there’s some online buzz about it being too late to begin studying Machine Learning in 2022, data suggests that the field of Machine Learning is nowhere near its saturation point. Yes, it is worth learning Machine Learning in 2022.
Crack the Machine Learning Engineer Interview
If you need help with your prep, join Interview Kickstart’s Machine Learning Interview Course — the first-of-its-kind, domain-specific tech interview prep program designed and taught by FAANG+ instructors. Click here to learn more about the program.
IK is the gold standard in tech interview prep. Our programs include a comprehensive curriculum, unmatched teaching methods, FAANG+ instructors, and career coaching to help you nail your next tech interview.
Sign up for our FREE webinar to uplevel your career!