IBM's data scientist salary stands out compared to other top tech companies. The salaries vary according to the job position, education, certifications, years of experience, and employee value. IBM offers an average data scientist salary of $139k per annum in the US.
Data scientists must analyze data, predict trends, and make meaningful recommendations using cognitive tools to optimize results. You must be skilled at sifting through massive amounts of data to extract actionable insights. This is a promising career path, and working at IBM will undoubtedly help you advance. If you're considering a career in data science at IBM, you should first understand their type of work and the various factors that affect IBM data scientist salaries.
Having trained over 10,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Our alums consistently land offers from FAANG+ companies. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $1.267 Million!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
Before you prepare for your next tech interview, you should understand the various job levels of data scientists and their salaries. Read on to discover the IBM data scientist salary levels, total compensations, stock benefits, and various other benefits and figures.
Here's what we'll cover:
- What Does a Data Scientist Do at IBM?
- Average IBM Data Scientist Salary at Different Levels
- IBM Data Scientist Salary by Location
- Benefits of Working at IBM as a Data Scientist
- FAQs on IBM Data Scientist Salary
What Does a Data Scientist Do at IBM?
If you are a data scientist at IBM, your role involves transforming clients' data into tangible business value. You have to analyze the information, communicate outcomes, and collaborate on product development. You will also have to work with the best visual tools in addition to the most flexible and scalable deployment options.
As a professional data scientist at IBM, you will have to apply your knowledge of Mathematics, Statistics, Business Analysis, Modeling, and technology to transform complex data into advanced analytic solutions. Your key responsibilities as a Data Scientist at IBM include the evaluation of the accuracy and quality of data sources and the designed models. You must be proficient and skillful in these subjects to fit in the role of an IBM data scientist:
- Coding, data analysis, data mining, data processing
- Python, SQL, Unix Shell Scripting, Linux
- Machine learning (ops like debiasing and machine learning, model runtime management) and AI
- Automation, Circuit Designing, Information Architecture, Scheduling, Agile
- Predictive/Statistical models like regressions, decision trees, simulations, neural networks, optimizations
- Preferred majors: Computer Science, Business Intelligence, Cognitive Science, Data Science, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Artificial Intelligence, Operations Research, Engineering
Average IBM Data Scientist Salary at Different Levels
The average IBM Data Scientist salary is $139k per year, which is 15% above the national average. The range typically falls between $127,788 and $162,846. This salary includes a $129k base and a $10k bonus.
Salary ranges can vary depending on many important factors, including education, additional skills, and the years spent in your profession. If your levels and locations differ from those of the other employees, the total compensation will also vary. Following are the various IBM data scientist positions and the average salary they receive:
IBM Entry Level Data Scientist Salary
- Average Total Salary: $63,535 p.a.
- Average Base Salary: $50k
- Average Bonus: $13k
IBM Senior Data Scientist Salary
- Average Total Salary: $119,757 p.a.
- Average Base Salary: $100k
- Average Bonus: $19k
IBM Principal Data Scientist Salary
- Average Total Salary: $240,000 p.a.
- Average Base Salary: $200k
- Average Bonus: $20k
- Average Stocks: $20k
In the next section, we'll look at how the leveling works at IBM.
Understanding IBM Data Scientist Badges and Levels
IBM's data scientists can earn a variety of badges. Potential employers use this badge information as part of the recruiting process. IBM's human resources department connects badges and engagement. As a result, earning a digital badge results in higher engagement scores than those who do not. Here is a list of some popular IBM data scientist training badges:
- Data Science Profession Certification- L1 Experienced
- Data Science Profession Certification- L2 Expert
- Data Science Profession Certification- L3 Thought Leader
- Data Science for Business- L1, L2, L3
- SQL for Data Science with R Essentials
- Data Science Methodologies
- Data Science with Scala
- Data Science Foundations Specialization
- Python for Data Science- L1 and L2
You must obtain these badges to advance quickly to higher-level data scientist positions.
The hierarchy levels at IBM vary based on experience and roles. Certain positions require years of experience in the company itself. This is mainly in the case of senior positions.
IBM has a specific system that justifies the compensation at each level. This ensures that the employees at the same level earn a comparable salary. In the IBM band system:
- Band 6 is for entry-level positions. It is further divided into Band 6A and 6B, including graduates with 0 - 4 years of experience
- Next is Band 7A & 7B, which includes professionals
- Band 8 and above is for leadership positions
- Finally, Band 10 and above are executive bands for those with 10+ years of experience
Here is an example of the classification of IBM data scientist position in bands:
IBM Data Scientist Salary by Location
Total compensation includes a base salary as well as annual bonuses. Some of the benefits included in the package are commissions, paid time off, and insurance. The precise salary varies depending on location, seniority level, and other factors. Here is a list of IBM Data scientist salaries by location. This list includes IBM’s salary for entry-level data scientists and senior positions.
IBM Data Scientist Stock Options
If you belong to the senior band, your IBM data scientist salary will include stock as a part of total compensation. As a data scientist, IBM will pay you a portion of Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) in exchange for your work performance.
RSUs are subject to a 4-year vesting schedule. This corresponds to a 25% vest each year and 6.25% every three months. IBM also comes up with the following 4-year vesting schedule: 0% vests in the 1st year, 50% in the 2nd, 0% in the 3rd, and 50% in the 4th year. It uses two types of equity awards: RSU and stock options.
Benefits of Working as a Data Scientist at IBM
IBM will offer you competitive work benefits. It will support you and your family across all dimensions of health, including social, physical, mental, financial, and purpose.
You are eligible for all the applicable employee benefit programs, except the IBM Employees Stock Purchase Plan, from the first day of employment in addition to your IBM data scientist salary.
IBM offers a commuter benefits program for its employees. You can save money on mass transit and parking expenses by paying for eligible expenses pre-tax. IBM adopts the WageWorks program.
You save on commuting costs because your payroll deductions are made pre-tax before FICA, federal, state, and city income taxes. This amounts to $270 for transit and $270 for parking per month. So, when you sign up, your monthly deduction will be taken from the month's second paycheck.
Home, Financial, and Other Benefits
IBM not only pays you some great compensation packages but also offers excellent employee benefits. Here are some highlights of the several additional benefits at IBM that you must know:
- Health insurance (medical, dental, and vision) for you, your spouse or eligible domestic partner, eligible children, and other family members enlisted.
- Life insurance
- Remote work benefits- work from home.
- Retirement Program that you can utilize to build future financial security through a leading-edge 401(k)
- Other plans and capital accumulation programs
- Income protection in case of serious injury, health, illness
- Disability benefits
- Opportunity to follow leisure activities via personal leave, holiday plans, and vacations. If you have been working for less than ten years with IBM, you get a three-week vacation time, while those who have been for 10+ years can enjoy 4-week vacations.
- Paid care leave
- Parental bonding leaves- IBM offers you 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. You can avail of this leave within 12 months of the child's birth or adoption.
Learn about the Data Scientist salaries in the US offered by other FAANG companies
FAQs on IBM Data Scientist Salary
Q1. Is IBM Data Scientist a high-paying job?
The data scientist's role is one of the highest-paying positions in the tech world, as per the Bureau of Labor Statistics surveys. If you manage to grab a spot as an IBM Data Scientist, your average salary will be $139k, depending upon your experience, company, and level.
Q2. How does the IBM data scientist salary differ in Los Angeles compared to New York City?
If you are working in Los Angeles, the average annual IBM Data scientist salary will be $116,861 per year. And if you are working in New York City, it will be $1,43471. So, New York City has a higher average IBM data scientist salary.
Q3. What is the salary range of a data scientist at IBM?
If you plan to attempt an interview with IBM, you must know that the average IBM data scientist salary ranges from $127,788 to $162,846 in the US.
Q4. What is the IBM Data Scientist salary for interns?
The average IBM data scientist intern salary in the United States is approximately $24.31 per hour, which is 76% above the national average. You can uplevel your salary package by gaining experience working with IBM.
Q5. What can uplevel my IBM Data Scientist salary?
You can prove your credentials and hands-on experience in different fields of data science via published code or open-source on GitHub on data science to uplevel your salary. Your participation in Kaggle competitions can also boost your salary and help you bag the most lucrative IBM data scientist salary offers. Most importantly, you must prepare well for the challenging data scientist interview at IBM and master the art of negotiating the salary.
Ace Your Next IBM Data Scientist Interview
If you need help with your prep, join Interview Kickstart’s Data Science Interview Course — the first-of-its-kind, domain-specific tech interview prep program designed and taught by FAANG+ instructors. Click here to learn more about the program.
IK is the gold standard in tech interview prep. Our programs include a comprehensive curriculum, unmatched teaching methods, FAANG+ instructors, and career coaching to help you nail your next tech interview.