Python developers are in high demand, and you must ace Python coding interview questions to land interviews at top tech firms. Python developer jobs have scaled over the last few years as the language is used in various coding scenarios, from games to web applications, by some of the world's largest companies, including Netflix, PayPal, and Dropbox.
They hire Python developers to push the boundaries of emerging technologies such as data analytics, data science, AI, natural language processing, and AI/machine learning. If you're preparing for a technical interview and use Python as your programming language, the Python coding interview questions below will help you understand what to expect. Learn what recruiters look for in Python developers, as well as the best tips for outperforming the competition.
If you are preparing for a tech interview for tech lead, software engineer, software developer, or engineering manager positions, check out our technical interview checklist, interview questions page, and salary negotiation e-book to get interview-ready!
Having trained over 10,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Our alums consistently land offers from FAANG+ companies. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $1.267 Million!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
This article will look at the top skills for Python coding challenges in addition to Python coding interview questions and tips to ace interviews at top FAANG+ companies. Here's what we'll cover:
- Top Python Developer Skills to Crack Coding Challenges
- What Do Recruiters Look for in Python Developers?
- Python Coding Interview Questions
- Python Pandas Interview Coding Questions
- Tips to Crack Python Coding Interview
- FAQs on Python Coding Interview Questions
Top Python Developer Skills to Crack Coding Challenges
Python is a popular OOPs language among coders and developers, and technical firms prefer using Python due to its simplicity and general-purpose programming ability across most OS platforms.
You should have an in-depth knowledge of Python web frameworks, event-driven programming in Python, a basic understanding of front-end technologies, excellent communication and problem-solving skills, great attention to detail, and proficiency in understanding code versioning tools.
You should be familiar with the following skills usually covered in Python interview coding exercises.
- Object-Oriented Programming
- Data Structures and Algorithms
- Variables & Data Types
- Data Analysis with Python
- Exception Handling
- File Handling
- Python Frameworks like Django, Web2Py, Flask, Bottle, CherryPy, etc.
- Python libraries like NumPy, Pandas, etc.
- Machine Learning and AI
- Dimensional Modeling
- Computer Vision
- Data extraction
Recommended Reading: How to Run a Python Script
What Do Recruiters Look for in Python Developers?
You should know what recruiters look for in a Python developer to ensure that they hire the right candidate.
Top tech companies expect Python developers to produce reusable quality code. If you get hired, you will have to write server-side web application logic, including the development of back-end components.
So, as a Python developer, you will also need to know how to design and implement quality applications and connect the applications with other third-party web services. You should be able to support front-end developers by integrating their work with Python.
To prove yourself as an ideal candidate, you must possess knowledge of the main web frameworks, frameworks, object-relational mappers, multi-process architecture, and RESTful APIs. Your skills in system administration, scripting, implementing data storage solutions, and knowledge of other programming languages like Java can give you an upper hand over other candidates as recruiters find such multi-tasking candidates beneficial to the company.
Take a look at some of the Advanced Python Coding Challenges here.
40+ Python Coding Interview Questions
You must practice the following Python coding interview questions to ace the coding rounds at FAANG+ companies.
Python Coding Interview Questions on Trees
- Write a code to implement a tree data structure.
- Implement preorder traversal of a binary tree using recursion.
- How is a binary search tree implemented?
- Find maximum path sum between two leaf nodes.
- How do you perform an inorder traversal in a given binary tree?
- For a given AVL tree and N values that you must insert in the tree, write a function in Python to insert a given value into the tree.
- For a given binary tree and two nodes' data values, find the number of turns required to reach from one node in the binary tree to another.
- Given the root of a binary tree and an integer targetSum, return true if the tree has a root-to-leaf path such that adding up all the values along the path equals targetSum.
- Given the root of a binary tree, flatten the tree into a "linked list."
Take a look at the top Python Data Structures Interview Questions and Answers for practice.
Python Coding Interview Questions on Strings and Arrays
- How would you merge two sorted arrays in a single sorted array?
- How would you check if a string is a palindrome?
- Find the smallest positive integer that cannot be represented as a sum.
- Find permutations of a given string.
- Given two sorted arrays in non-decreasing order. Merge them into one sorted array in non-decreasing order without using any extra space.
- Given an array, find the max circular subarray sum.
- Given an array, find the length of the longest increasing subsequence (LIS) using dynamic programming.
Recommended reading: Most Popular Python Interview Questions
Python Coding Interview Questions on Linked Lists
- Convert a singly linked list to a circular linked list
- Floyd's cycle detect algorithm: how to detect a cycle (or loop) in a linked list?
- How would you merge two sorted singly linked lists into one without creating new nodes?
- How would you split a linked list into consecutive k linked list parts?
- Sum two numbers represented as a linked list.
- You are given an array of "k" linked lists, with each linked list sorted in ascending order. Merge all the linked lists into one sorted linked list and return it.
- Given the head of a linked list, determine if the linked list has a cycle in it.
- Given the head of a sorted linked list, delete all nodes that have duplicate numbers.
Here are some Python Data Science Interview Questions you need to prepare.
Python Pandas Interview Coding Questions
- How will you add a column to a pandas DataFrame?
- How to get frequency counts of unique items of a series?
- How to convert String to date
- Given a pandas series, write a program to convert all the values of the String to upper lower cases in the series. Find the length of the string values.
- Write a Pandas program to remove whitespaces, left-sided whitespaces, and right-sided whitespaces of the string values of a given pandas series.
- Write a Pandas program to add, subtract, multiple, and divide two Pandas Series.
- Write a Pandas program to add leading zeros to the integer column in a pandas series and make the length of the field eight digits.
- Write a Pandas program to add leading zeros to the character column in a pandas series and make the length of the field eight digits.
- Write a Pandas program to join the two given data frames along rows and assign all data.
Python Coding Interview Questions on NumPy
- For a given space-separated list of numbers, print a reversed NumPy array with the element type float.
- For a given space-separated list of nine integers, convert this list into a 3x3 NumPy array.
- For a given shape of the array in the form of space-separated integers, where integer represents the size of different dimensions, you have to print an array of the given shape and integer type by employing the tools numpy.zeros and numpy.ones.
- Given two arrays, A and B, and both have dimensions of N x N, compute their matrix product.
- Given coefficients of a polynomial P, find the value of P at point x.
- Describe the example of seed() function? And how to use it? Why do you use seed()?
- If we don't know the last number of positions, how can we show it pragmatically?
- What is the syntax of array slicing in NumPy?
Recommended reading: Top Advanced Python Interview Questions and Answers
Tips for Cracking The Coding Interview Python
Here are the best tips that will help you nail the most challenging Python coding interview questions and land your dream job.
- You must strategically learn Python for a coding interview. You can learn more about how long does it take to learn Python here.
- You should have adequate knowledge of Object Relational Mapper (ORM) libraries, Django or Flask, fundamental design principles of a scalable application, unit testing and debugging skills, and Python packages such as NumPy.
- You must practice problem-solving questions on core data structures and algorithms and approach them through patterns. You can classify problems through solution patterns and apply analogous patterns to solve new problems. This way, you will be able to tackle tough problems at the interview.
- You should practice programming theory interview questions and get well-versed in the core OOP features in Python and the use of different functions.
- If you need some professional guidance from industry experts, you can enroll in mock interviews. IK mock interviews are a brilliant way to boost your confidence levels, overcome interview anxiety, and strengthen your weak areas with expert professionals who are hiring managers at top tech companies.
- You should develop the practice of thinking out loud in the interview. This habit gives recruiters a peek into your approach. You can get points and a green signal from the hiring manager if your initial approach is correct and even if you don't arrive at the optimal solution.
- You can showcase your coding abilities by talking about your previous projects in technical rounds.
FAQs on Python Coding Interview Questions
Q1. Are Python coding interview questions difficult?
The difficulty level of Python coding interview questions varies depending on the position you are applying for, the company, and your skill and knowledge or work experience. If you are a beginner with basic knowledge, you might find Python coding interview questions difficult. Thorough preparation and practice of the various types of Python coding interview questions will help you prepare well and nail the interview.
Q2. What is the annual salary of a Python developer?
The average salary for a Python developer is $113,803 annually in the US and a $3,000 cash bonus per year (Source: Indeed.com). However, the Python developer's salary varies from company to company.
Q3. How do you crack Python coding interview questions?
To crack Python coding interview questions, you must practice on paper. Attempt mock tests, learn every detail while coding, draw a specific example, design an algorithm, optimize it, write the code, and test it. Your fundamentals should be strong enough to code any challenge given by the interviewer to crack a Python interview at any top tech company.
Q4. What are the basic Python questions asked in an interview?
Basic questions, such as what is Python, which is the dynamic programming language, scope in Python, lists, and tuples, what is pass, and many others are asked in Python interview questions. The interviewers of top tech companies look for experienced professionals with strong fundamentals. Also, you must practice coding challenges to nail your interview on the first attempt.
Q5. Can I prepare for Python coding interview questions in 3 months?
Yes. With the right strategy, you can ace Python coding interview questions with 3 months of preparation. Your practice should be centered on problems on core data structures and algorithms. You should also practice programming theory interview questions and get well-versed in the core OOP features in Python and the use of different functions.
Gear Up for Your Next Technical Interview
If you're looking for guidance and help with your Python coding interview prep, check out our blog for Python interview questions and challenges.
Sign up for our free webinar to learn about our tech interview prep courses. As pioneers in the field of technical interview prep, Interview Kickstart has trained over 10,000 engineers to crack the most challenging coding interviews and land jobs at their dream companies, such as Google, Facebook, Apple, Netflix, Amazon, and more!
Our instructors, who are FAANG hiring managers, know what it takes to nail tough tech interviews at top technology companies.