In recent years, companies have started accelerating their approach toward using machine learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI) to maximize businesses, ensuring that jobs in these fields will be in high demand for decades.
Google is a frontrunner when it comes to artificial intelligence and machine learning innovation. If you want to be a part of one of the world’s most advanced machine learning teams, this job is for you! Besides being at the forefront of innovation in the world of artificial intelligence, the job comes with an attractive salary package and perks.
If you are preparing for a machine learning interview, check out our technical interview checklist, interview questions page, and salary negotiation ebook to get interview-ready! Also, read Google Software Engineer Roles and Responsibilities and Google Coding Interview Questions for specific insights and guidance on Google tech interviews.
Having trained over 6,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Since 2014, Interview Kickstart alums have been landing lucrative offers from FAANG and Tier-1 tech companies, with an average salary hike of 49%. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $933,000!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
Coming back to Google. If you want to do work that’s transforming the world, a career in artificial intelligence at Google is for you. As for the salary and perks, we’re hoping this article will answer all your questions. Here’s what we’ve covered:
- Role of Artificial Intelligence Engineers at Google
- Google Artificial Intelligence Engineer Salary
- Benefits of Working at Google as Artificial Intelligence Engineer
- ML/AI Engineer Salaries: Google vs. Other FAANG Companies
- Get Ready for Your Upcoming Artificial Intelligence Engineer Interview
Role of Artificial Intelligence Engineers at Google
Artificial engineers at Google are mainly involved with the Google Cloud Platform. Your main role as an artificial engineer at Google will be to help customers build and transform the best systems for their business using technologies built-in in Google Cloud Platform. Here’s what all your role as a Google artificial intelligence engineer will cover:
- Ensuring that Google products are engineered for scalability, security, and reliability.
- Understanding the needs of Google’s customers and help them use technology to build their businesses.
- Designing and implementing machine learning solutions that involve customer use cases.
- Leveraging core Google products such as DataFlow, AI Platform, and TensorFlow.
- Identifying opportunities for customers to apply ML in their businesses.
- Deploying solutions and delivering workshops to educate customers.
- Working closely with product engineering, product management teams, software developers, and engineering managers towards building and driving excellence in Google’s products and services.
- Supporting proper implementation of Google Cloud products with the help of best practices, architecture guidance, capacity planning, and data migration.
- Providing enterprise-grade cloud solutions to companies by leveraging Google’s innovative technologies.
Your responsibilities as an artificial engineer at Google will include:
- Being a trusted technical advisor to customers and solving complex ML challenges.
- Creating and delivering best practices suggestions, blog articles, tutorials, technical presentations, and sample code while you adapt to different kinds of key technical and business stakeholders.
- Delivering tailored solutions by working with partners, customers, and Google Product teams.
- Coaching customers on potential challenges in machine learning systems, including feature definition, monitoring, data validation, and feature management.
- Traveling frequently for delivering onsite activities, technical reviews, and meetings.
Here’s what Google expects of Artificial intelligence engineers who apply to open positions:
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science, mathematics, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience in directly building ML solutions.
- Experience in coding in one or more languages (such as Scala, Python, Java) with experience in algorithms, data structures, and software design.
- Experience in working with technical customers.
Artificial Intelligence Engineer Salaries at Google
The compensation package of a Google AI engineer is quite attractive. Here are some numbers and statistics to get a rough idea of the range and structure of the compensation earned by the AI engineers at Google:
- A typical Google AI engineer salary starts from $105,557 per year.
- The average base compensation for an artificial intelligence engineer at Google lies in the range of $91,485 - $136,520 per annum.
- The total average compensation for artificial intelligence engineers at Google is $235,000 per annum.
- The average bonus salary offered is $25,000 per annum, while the average stock grant offered to artificial intelligence engineers at Google is $70,000.
- To put a Google AI Engineer’s salary into perspective, the median compensation package of an ML/AI Engineer by FAANG+ companies in the U.S. is $244,000. The average base salary of an ML/AI engineer is $146,000, the average stock grant offered is $54,000, and the average bonus is $44,000.
Want to get paid a higher salary? Learn how to negotiate from the best! Experts and ex-recruiters from FAANG+ companies at Interview Kickstart will teach you how to leverage your skills to up your negotiating power. Sign up for Interview Kickstart’s FREE webinar to learn more!
Benefits of Working At Google as Artificial Intelligence Engineer
Here are some benefits offered to Google Artificial Intelligence Engineers in addition to the compensation:
- Insurance — health, dental, vision, disability, and life
- Paid breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Health savings account
- Transportation within and to the Google campus
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Paid vacations
- Flexible spending account
The figures and benefits mentioned above are for entry-level and junior-level engineers. Salaries for more senior roles go much higher, as do the associated benefits.
ML/AI Engineer Salaries: Google vs. Other FAANG Companies
The AI engineer salary that Google and other FAANG+ companies offer is quite high, which makes the role one of the most sought-after ones in the tech industry. Here’s a brief comparison of ML/AI Engineer salaries at Google and other FAANG companies. All figures reflect the average compensation for ML/AI engineers in the US.
Netflix, Amazon, and Google pay the highest salaries to ML/AI engineers. However, it is important to note here that Netflix hires highly experienced (8+ years) ML/AI engineers, and this reflects in their compensation packages.
Tips to Negotiate Artificial Intelligence Engineer Salary at Google
- You are not obligated to share the compensation you are currently receiving.
- You don’t necessarily have to share the compensation you are expecting.
- Build a good relationship with the hiring manager.
- Do not insist on receiving written offers.
- Remember to ask for a relocation package.
- There is a lot of publicly available compensation data. Compare the offer you have received before agreeing to anything.
Salary negotiation is a must-have skill. Read The Ultimate Guide to Salary Negotiation at FAANG for Software Engineers to hone your negotiation skills and get an offer that matches your value.
Get Ready for Your Upcoming Artificial Intelligence Engineer Interview
To get a headstart on your Google artificial intelligence engineer interview preparation, register for Interview Kickstart’s FREE webinar to understand the best way to prepare for artificial intelligence engineer interviews at the biggest companies.
A typical Google artificial intelligence engineer interview process is similar to that of a Google Software Engineer. To learn more about the interview process, from application to phone screen and technical screen rounds to onsite interviews, get advice from experts at Interview Kickstart today.
FAQs on Google Artificial Intelligence Engineer Salary
1. What is the average salary of an artificial intelligence engineer at Google?
The average annual Google Artificial Intelligence Engineer salary in the United States is $105,557.
2. If a Google artificial intelligence engineer becomes a PM or APM, how much salary hike can they expect?
Salary is based on level, not the role. Transitions would likely result in no salary change and no change in the level of pay.
3. How do Google artificial intelligence engineer salaries differ in Mountain View compared to New York City?
According to Levels.fyi, the average annual salary of an L4 Google artificial intelligence engineer in Mountain View is $295,000, while it is $216,000 in New York City.