Goldman Sachs' software engineer salary is significantly higher than the average software engineer's salary. The company values its software engineers and provides a competitive compensation package.
Goldman Sachs is regarded as one of the best places to work in the world, and it is in high demand among engineers and financial professionals. At Goldman Sachs, you will have the opportunity to start new businesses, transform finance, and discover new opportunities, all while honing your core engineering skills. Its collaborative and agile environment enables you to tackle new problems with zeal and advance your career.
You should be aware that the salary of a software engineer at Goldman Sachs varies depending on the job position, education, certifications, years of experience, and employee value. Continue reading to learn about Goldman Sachs' software engineer salary distribution based on various factors, total compensation ranges by location, and how to ace their software engineer interview.
Having trained over 10,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Our alums consistently land offers from FAANG+ companies. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $1.267 Million!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
Here's what we'll cover in this article:
- What Does a Software Engineer at Goldman Sachs Do?
- What Does Goldman Sachs Look for in a Software Engineer?
- How Much Do Software Engineers at Goldman Sachs Earn?
- Goldman Sachs Software Engineer Salary by Level
- Goldman Sachs Software Engineer Salary by Location
- Benefits of Working at Goldman Sachs as a Software Engineer
- FAQs on Goldman Sachs Software Engineer Salary
What Does a Software Engineer at Goldman Sachs Do?
The dynamic environment of Goldman Sachs requires you to have well-developed strategic thinking that is innovative and procures smart technical solutions. There are numerous software engineering positions, including UI/UX designers, full-stack engineers, data scientists, cloud engineers, and more.
If you are a software engineer at Goldman Sachs, you will have several roles and responsibilities. A few of them are:
- You will have to build innovations that drive business and financial markets worldwide.
- As a software engineer, you will have to solve clients' most challenging engineering problems. You will be a part of the software engineering teams that design massively scalable software and systems, proactively guard against cyber threats, architect low latency infrastructure solutions, and leverage software skills to monitor system performances.
- You will have to implement public and private cloud-based solutions to provide seamless, on-demand scaling of Goldman Sachs' applications.
- You will design and develop tools that will help enhance customer engagement.
- As a software engineer, you will be expected to write enterprise-level code in a variety of programming languages with high scalability, testing, and robustness.
Thorough knowledge of various programming languages, coding, public and private cloud, networks, storage, application messaging, and more will help you work on various challenging problems at Goldman Sachs.
What Does Goldman Sachs Look for in a Software Engineer?
Goldman Sachs hires software engineers who can creatively collaborate, evolve, adapt to change, and thrive in a fast-paced global environment. You must fit in the following eligibility criteria to bag a software engineer position and earn a good software engineer Goldman Sachs salary.
- A bachelor's or master's degree in computer science with 60% or 6.5 GPA and above without any running backlogs.
- You must possess strong fundamentals in distributed systems and databases.
- You should be well-versed in the design and analysis of algorithms.
- As a software engineer with a technical background, you should ace implementing programming languages and run-time systems.
- Knowledge of finance, stochastic calculus, and financial models can prove to be an added advantage for your software engineering role at Goldman Sachs.
How Much Do Software Engineers at Goldman Sachs Earn?
You should know that the average Goldman Sachs software engineer salary is $114,219 per year. This includes bonuses and other compensation figures. Annual salaries for software engineers at Goldman Sachs range from $77k to $238k on average.
Goldman Sachs Software Engineer Salary by Level
The hierarchy levels at Goldman Sachs vary based on experience and roles. The company has a specific system that justifies the total compensation at each level. This ensures that the employees at the same level earn a comparable salary.
The various levels of software engineers at Goldman Sachs are as follows:
- Executive Director/ Vice President
- Managing Director
Here the analyst refers to an entry-level position, while the Vice President is a senior most engineering position. The table below will give you an idea of the different software engineering levels at Goldman Sachs and the corresponding salaries. You can check Goldman Sachs' senior software engineer salary and associate positions. The numbers in the table indicate the average compensation corresponding to the level.
Your total compensation will include base salary, stocks, and bonuses. Given below is the Goldman Sachs’ software engineer salary breakdown for different positions:
Analyst Software Engineer (entry-level)
- Base pay: $108k
- Bonus: $37k
- Total Compensation: $145k
Associate Software Engineer
- Base pay: $133k
- Bonus: $52k
- Total compensation: $185k
Executive Director /Vice President
- Base pay: $174k
- Stock: $9k
- Bonus: $87k
- Total compensation: $270k
Goldman Sachs Software Engineer Salary by Location
If you manage to grab a software engineer position at Goldman Sachs, your job location will strongly influence your salary. While some US cities offer comparatively higher software engineer salaries to their entry-level positions, some might not.
The above table clearly shows that Goldman Sachs in San Francisco is the highest-paying branch for software engineering positions. The following table has software engineer salaries offered by Goldman Sachs for different designations at different locations.
Learn about the top 10 Factors That Influence Salary Negotiation.
Benefits of Working at Goldman Sachs as a Software Engineer
If you are interested in joining the software engineers' team at Goldman Sachs, you should know that the company offers multiple employee benefits in addition to a good Goldman Sachs software engineer salary. Although all benefits might vary as per location and employee value, some of the most promising benefits that make Goldman Sachs a highly-regarded employer are as follows:
- Stock options (RSUs)
- Healthcare and Medical Insurance
- Retirement Planning
- Health Services
- Holiday and Vacation Benefits, Travel Assistance
- Leave of Absence, Childcare / Family Care
- Scholarships and support for education such as tuition reimbursement
- Reimbursement for certain entertainment, communications ($10 per month), and meals
- Transportation benefits
- Donation match
- Flexible working includes part-time schedules, job sharing, telecommuting, and alternate hours
FAQs on Goldman Sachs Software Engineer Salary
Q1. What is Goldman Sachs' software engineer salary for a partner position?
The average Goldman Sachs software engineer salary for a partner position is $976,321 per year, which is far more than the average salary for a Partner in the US, which is $201,231 per year.
Q2. What is Goldman Sachs' software engineer salary for freshers?
If you are a fresher, your average Goldman Sachs software engineer salary will be $70k in the US. The salary might vary depending on the office location and your technical qualifications as a software engineer.
Q3. How much does a software engineer earn per hour at Goldman Sachs?
The average Goldman Sachs software engineer salary is $51.44 per hour. You should know that this salary will vary for different software engineer roles such as front-end, back-end, full-stack, and other tech leads.
Q4. What is Goldman Sachs' senior developer salary?
Goldman Sachs' average senior developer earns $103,509 per year. A senior Java developer's salary at Goldman Sachs in the US is $115,793 per year. A good negotiation, your technical abilities, and your years of experience can all contribute to an increase in your final payscale.
Q5. How can I get a high position in the Goldman Sachs engineering department?
To advance in the Goldman Sachs engineering department, you must be skilled in programming and coding, in addition to having years of experience in the relevant field. Through a series of difficult interview rounds, the company will put your programming skills and analytical aptitude to the test. As a result, you must prepare thoroughly to successfully complete the process while demonstrating your technical and soft skills.
How to Crack the Goldman Sachs Software Engineer Interview
Ace your next technical interview by preparing the most anticipated Goldman Sachs interview questions.
If you want to truly uplevel your interview prep, join Interview Kickstart. IK is the gold standard in tech interview prep. Our programs include a comprehensive curriculum, unmatched teaching methods, FAANG+ instructors, and career coaching to help you nail your next tech interview.
Sign up for our FREE webinar to uplevel your career!