Amazon Web Services Security is responsible for securing various platforms and technologies such as the Internet of things (IoT), virtualization, cloud services, and so on. To keep up with the growing business, they’re always looking to hire talented engineers.
The Amazon cyber security engineer salary range is among the most competitive globally. So if you’re looking to land a job at Amazon, start prepping.
Having trained over 12,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the most demanding tech interviews. Our alums consistently land offers from FAANG+ companies. The highest ever offer received by an IK alum is a whopping $1.267 Million!
At IK, you get the unique opportunity to learn from expert instructors who are hiring managers and tech leads at Google, Facebook, Apple, and other top Silicon Valley tech companies.
Want to nail your next tech interview? Sign up for our FREE Webinar.
To help you understand the role and the Amazon cyber security engineer salary range better, in this article, we’ll cover:
- What Does an Amazon Cyber Security Engineer Do?
- Qualifications Required to Become an Amazon Cyber Security Engineer
- Average Amazon Cyber Security Engineer Salary
- Amazon Cyber Security Engineer Salary at Different Levels
- Benefits of Working at Amazon
- FAQs on Amazon Cyber Security Engineer Salary
What Does an Amazon Cyber Security Engineer Do?
As a cyber security engineer at Amazon, you’ll be designing security controls and assisting in validating that their services, applications, and upcoming trends have been designed to the highest standards.
You’ll work on analyzing how secure the applications and services of Amazon are. Further, you’ll also discover and oversee security issues, develop security automation, and then take action to ensure that any emerging threats throughout the entire secure development life-cycle (SDLC) are dealt with.
Your everyday responsibilities will include:
- Review the security of new products, technologies, and services
- Ensure the stability of the design, architecture, and implementation
- Implement Secure development life-cycle (SDLC) practices such as threat modeling and security testing
- Help decision-makers and stakeholders maintain a high-security bar
- Carry out network and/or application penetration testing
- Build security guidance and documentation
- Create security tools and automation
- Develop and implement security training
- Head security projects with complete ownership
- Mentor other team members when required
Read Skills Required to Become a Cyber Security Engineer to understand what skills you need to hone to successfully manage your job responsibilities.
Qualifications Required to Become an Amazon Cyber Security Engineer
The Amazon cyber security engineer salary range depends on your experience, qualifications, and skillset. The basic qualifications include:
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (Computer Science, Software Engineer, Security, or others) or equivalent experience and training.
- At least two years of professional experience in a combination of a minimum of 2 technical disciplines such as cloud security, network security, application security, mobile security, and so on.
Some preferred qualifications:
- Familiarity with applied cryptography
- Experience developing or assessing threat models
- Knowledge of how to conduct security assessments, including penetration testing
- Meet Amazon’s required expectations according to their leadership principles
- Know how to implement security solutions that resolve security and business risk trade-offs
Also read Cyber Security Engineer Interview Process to understand the interview process.
Average Amazon Cyber Security Engineer Salary
According to indeed.com, an Amazon security engineer makes around $124,344 per year. This figure is 6% higher than the national average. The Amazon cyber security engineer salary ranges from $126,000 to $167,000 (base salary).
However, this value can change based on a number of factors such as location, company, experience, and so on.
Check out how this compares to other FAANG companies:
Amazon Cyber Security Engineer Salary at Different Levels
The average annual Amazon cyber security engineer salary at different levels has been given below:
Benefits of Working at Amazon
Apart from the great Amazon cyber security engineer salary package, there are a lot of other perks of working at the company. Some of them are:
- Employee discount
- Health and dental insurance, retirement plan, 401K, accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- Flexible schedule and paid time off
- Relocation Bonus
- COVID-Related Benefits
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
Amazon has a diverse workforce that is always looking for new talent to improve its security standards. But clearing the interview process isn’t going to be easy. It includes a number of different rounds designed to test all your skills, from conceptual to behavioral. So ensure that you prepare accordingly.
To get a better understanding of the Amazon interview process, read these:
- Expert Tips to Crack the Amazon Tech Interview
- What Is an Amazon Bar Raiser Interview and How to Crack It?
FAQs on Amazon Cyber Security Engineer Salary
Q1. What’s the average Amazon Cyber Security engineer salary?
The average Amazon Cyber Security engineer's salary is $148,780 per year. (according to glassdoor.com)
Q2. How much does a senior Amazon cyber security engineer make?
According to glassdoor.com, the average senior Amazon security engineer salary package is around $168,351 per year.
Q3. What’s the role of an Amazon cyber security engineer?
At Amazon, a cyber security engineer is supposed to have technical knowledge in various domains and make significant contributions to the company’s security team. They are expected to create elegant solutions for complex risk problems by applying the appropriate technologies.
Q4. Which job has the highest salary in cyber security?
The Chief information security officers (CISOs) are paid the highest salary in the cyber security industry.
Q5. Do cyber security engineers make a lot of money?
One of the highest paid profiles, it comes at number two in the security industry. The salaries of cyber security engineers range from $120,000 to $210,000.
How to Crack a Security Engineer Interview
If you need help with your prep, join Interview Kickstart’s Security Engineering Interview Course — the first-of-its-kind, domain-specific tech interview prep program designed and taught by FAANG+ instructors.
IK is the gold standard in tech interview prep. Our programs include a comprehensive curriculum, unmatched teaching methods, FAANG+ instructors, and career coaching to help you nail your next tech interview.