After informing your employer that you are going to leave your position and completing the formalities, you should talk to your co-worker. As a part of maintaining connections and good terms with people you have worked with, it only seems logical to offer them a proper goodbye.
In this guide, we have discussed exactly that. The various sections in the article will explore different ways to say goodbye.
It may seem unnecessary to say farewell to co-workers, but it is important. When you send a simple message to your co-workers letting them know that you are leaving, it shows appreciation and gratitude towards them..
If you look at it, then bidding goodbye also leaves scope for future opportunities. With this gesture, you allow your co-workers and managers to think of you positively, thereby keeping pathways open to future opportunities.
Check these 4 outstanding ways to say farewell to a colleague.
One of the best ways to say farewell is to send a card. Everyone in the office can collaborate and make or purchase a card, and some flowers to go along with it. You can also write a small farewell note on the card wishing good luck to the person.
If you are leaving the organization, then an amazing way to say farewell is to send an email to your coworkers on your last day. This email should contain a small message thanking everyone for their support. You can make keep it short by adding how much you enjoyed and learned working with the organization, and how much your co-workers have helped you grow.
Leave your contact details at the end to enable coworkers to get in touch with you in future.
Sometimes, when a coworker is leaving the organization, gifting them with something is a common practice. This is usually done for someone at a managerial role, someone who has served the company for decades, or a colleague who was loving and courteous.
However, remember that this gift should be something that would help them in their future endeavors. For example, gifting them a personalized organizer makes sense.
A nice way to say goodbye is to organize a party. This works both ways: when you are leaving or when a colleague is leaving. When you are leaving, you can arrange a small get-together to say goodbye. When your colleague is leaving, you can arrange a farewell party.
A formal way to say farewell is to send an email. There are various other ways but if you wish to keep it formal and hassle-free, then send an email to everyone in your team. Just tell them how much you have grown with the organization and how well your team has supported you..
It is obvious that farewell messages have to be polite. If you send a farewell message which includes you cribbing or complaining, no one will receive it well. This would be more like taking out your frustration rather than leaving the organization on a good note. Hence, always say something good in your goodbye message and never demean or belittle anyone.
To help you understand different ways to say goodbye, we have discussed some examples below. Read on to explore ways to say farewell.
1. As the manager, you have influenced me a lot professionally. I have developed great work ethics and improved my knowledge working with you. I hope we will keep in touch. Thanks!
2. I appreciate that not only did you take me in your team but also helped me grow personally and professionally. You would always be a part of the success I have achieved.
3. I will miss working with you. Throughout my time in the company, you have been an amazing friend and mentor. I hope we will stay connected.
4. The reason why I enjoyed my time in this office is that I had a great team to work with. Here are my contact details. Let’s stay in touch.
5. As I am preparing for the next stage professionally, I would like to thank everyone. All of you have helped me grow professionally. Farewell!
6. I am thankful for the support and guidance I have received from you. It only helped in building my skills. Please stay in touch.
7. All through these years, you have been a teacher to me. It is because of you that I am able to progress in my career. You are amazing. Thank you!
8. Thank you for being the best team and the best work-family. You people are the catalyst in my success.
9. Keep up the amazing work! You guys were the best team. Stay connected!.
10. I loved every day of work because of you people. Thank you for your guidance and support.
11. I have learned to become so much better at what I do. You have been an amazing team. Best of luck for the future.
12. As I start a new journey, I would like to remind you that you played a key role in my success. Wishing you all the best for the future.
13. I may be moving on but I am not leaving the team. Let’s promise to stay connected and share updates.
14. Thank you for giving me a reliable friend in the workplace. Feel free to reach me anytime you have any issue.
15. Most of all, I will miss our brainstorming sessions. Let’s not stop this tradition. Stay connected. Good luck in the future.
Here are some tips that would help you bid goodbye to your co-worker in the right manner:
It is fine if you want to send an email to everyone in the office but you can personally meet and greet a few contacts who have helped you grow. For example, it would be great to meet and talk to your manager before leaving.
Another way to say farewell to your co-workers is to stay connected on LinkedIn, if they are not already in your profile, adding them is a good way to say goodbye.
Create a personalized email for your team. That is a nice way to say goodbye and tell your co-workers how much you have enjoyed and learned while being in the team.
You can skip using a fancy way to say goodbye to the entire office if there are thousands of employees.
4. Keep It Short and Sweet
Don’t drag farewell messages. Just keep it short and simple. You don’t need to write 3 pages to explain how you hated the job just to thank everyone in the end. Most will not read it and the rest will get offended. Your future connections would be lost and relationships would become sour.
So, appreciate everyone even when you didn’t like the job. You need to remember everyone is just doing their job and you need to respect that.
One different way to say goodbye is to remember the good old days. You can quote special incidents when you have enjoyed your relationship with co-workers. You can tailor this message for a few important co-workers who are also a great friend.
If you are promising to stay connected, then don’t forget to share your phone number or personal email ID with selected contacts.
If you are finding a good way to say goodbye, let’s see some tips to write farewell messages:
Before hitting send, work on the subject line. Make it right and light. For example, you don’t need to make it too formal but not too casual as well.
So, select a middle route and keep the subject line having words like thank you, moving on, keeping in touch, or bidding goodbye.
Even when you didn’t enjoy working with the manager, team, or at the company, you should still politely appreciate everyone and their efforts. If you end up putting your frustration in the email, it will stay and ruin your connections forever.
Hence, appreciate the fact that your co-workers were also doing their jobs. So, a good way to say goodbye is to say something nice and end with let’s keep in touch.
Here, you can mention the time you have worked with the organization. This will improve the impact of your goodbye message. You can also talk about adventure, journey, etc.
In the last section of your email, talk about where you are moving to and what are your future career choices. For instance, if you are leaving a job to change your field, share the story. There’s no harm in accepting that you are willing to explore something new.
Avoid comparing your new workplace with the old one. This will only make everyone feel bad and you would sound disrespectful.
Say something nice about the future. Maybe you can end with saying how you would like to stay in touch with everyone and meet occasionally.
Here’s an example of a good way to say goodbye through an email:
Subject: Thank You! I am bidding goodbye.
As this is my last day in the office, I would like to take a moment to appreciate the support and guidance I have received in the company.
In these 3 years, I have enjoyed work, received new opportunities, and grown as a person. I have worked on various group projects and I seriously don’t regret even a single minute of collaborating with you amazing people. I would like to thank you for helping me grow and guiding me when I was not able to move in the right direction.
Although I am starting a new journey, I hope we will stay in touch. This my email ID: [email ID].
If you are leaving the organization or a coworker is retiring, it’s a good idea to say goodbye in the right manner. This farewell note presents the perfect opportunity to stay connected and reach out for future endeavors. If you are not sure how you can bid goodbye, check the above data, explore some amazing methods, see various examples, and write that farewell message. Don’t forget to leave your contact details in the message to stay in touch!