Facebook, as we know, is the world's largest online social networking platform with more than billions of members. The company offers great opportunities to software engineers — landing a job at Facebook can boost your career several notches. Naturally, it pulls a huge rush of candidates during its recruiting seasons.
If you are preparing for a tech interview, check out our interview questions page and salary negotiation ebook to get interview-ready! Also, read How to Get Software Engineering Jobs at Facebook and Facebook Interview Questions for specific insights and guidance on Facebook tech interviews.
Having trained over 6,000 software engineers, we know what it takes to crack the toughest tech interviews. Since 2014, Interview Kickstart alums have been landing lucrative offers from FAANG and Tier-1 tech companies, with an average salary hike of 49%.
Facebook is also known for the huge pay packages and benefits it provides to employees. Facebook Software Engineer salaries differ based on the job role, employee value, and desired years of experience. There are more jobs for new applicants than senior-level positions. In this article, we'll discuss Facebook Software Engineer Role and Salary.
Here’s what we’ll cover:
- What Are the Skills Required to Become a Facebook Software Engineer?
- Facebook Software Engineer Levels and Salaries
- Other Benefits of Working at Facebook
- Software Engineer Salary: Facebook vs. Other Tech Companies
- How to Crack the Facebook Software Engineer Interview?
What Are the Skills Required to Become a Facebook Software Engineer?
For its Software Engineer vacancies, Facebook requires software developers, data scientists, network managers, product analysts, and system managers of various experience and expertise levels. They employ knowledgeable, active, and aware applicants who can generate innovative ideas for the company.
Some of the skills and proficiency required for a Facebook Software Engineer role are:
- Computer Science Degree as per job role and valuation
- Knowledge of coding languages, such as C, C++, Java, Python, etc.
- Knowledge of database development and management
- Knowledge of operating systems
- Knowledge of machine learning algorithms and cloud data and computing solutions
- Knowledge of Network management
Facebook Software Engineer Levels and Salaries
As said earlier, Software Engineer Salary at Facebook in different US locations varies based on the candidate's responsibilities, knowledge, and seniority. Freshers are usually employed in junior positions, while experienced candidates are offered senior software managerial positions. Facebook salaries for senior software engineers are much higher as they’re given critical decision-making tasks based on their expertise.
The company does not follow any position-based naming rule formally. However, to keep transparency, there is a leveling convention in Facebook Salary for Software Engineer followed in the company as given below.
Stock Options in Facebook Software Engineer Salaries
Facebook pays its Software Engineers, irrespective of the job role and level, the portion of Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) in exchange for their work performance. In this company, RSUs are subject to 4 years vesting schedule. Meaning, 25% of your stock is vested every year for four years.
Other Benefits of Working at Facebook
Being a Facebook employee is great as you’ll have all the benefits that other globally famed tech companies provide to their employees. These benefits come in addition to your Facebook salary. Following are some of the benefits you get at Facebook:
- Complete Health Insurance Coverage
- Paid time off for 21 days per year
- Unlimited advantage of sick leave
- Parental Leave benefit of 4 months
- Childcare benefits
- Egg freezing and other fertility advantages
- Gym and wellness support
- Complimentary meal facility
- Remote work benefits
Software Engineer Salary: Facebook vs. Other Tech Companies
Here’s a comparison of Facebook Software engineer salaries with Google and Microsoft salaries. As you can see, the compensation software engineers receive at Facebook is on par with the other two industry giants. In fact, for more senior roles, the salaries for Facebook engineers are much higher.
Did you know? The highest ever offer received by an Interview Kickstart alum is a whopping $933,000 offer from Facebook. Click here to know more!
How to Crack the Facebook Software Engineer Interview?
The interview structure at Facebook will depend on your experience level as a Software Engineer. To get and nail a Facebook interview, you’ll need a detailed resume, industry knowledge, knowledge of core data structures, algorithms, and design, explanation for your willingness to join Facebook, your expectations from the company, your discussion questions to ask the interviews.
Facebook Interview process includes:
- Stage 1: 1 HR phone screen, including your resume evaluation, your introduction, discussion on industry prospects, your career ambitions, etc.
- Stage 2: 1 or 2 tech phone screens, including technical question-answer round, knowledge evaluation round, coding test.
- Stage 3: 4 to 6 on-site interviews, including technical, analytic, coding interviews, team meetings, and discussions.
The whole process may take four to eight weeks.
Read Facebook Interview Guide for more information.
Take Your Interview Prep to the Next Level
FAANG interviews are tough. Many software engineers fall short because they underestimate the amount of time and dedication required for these interviews.
Enroll for Interview Kickstart’s tech interview prep program to become a better engineer and nail your next tech interview. At IK, we do not believe in hacking the interview process; instead, we offer a comprehensive curriculum, unmatched teaching methods, and a panel of expert FAANG+ instructors to upskill you and make you interview-ready.
Want to know more? Sign up for our FREE webinar.